1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fbass BN :maple or macassar ebony fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabbass, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Hi,
    I own a Fbass BN5 swamp ash body with maple fingerboard,
    I'm thinking to replace my neck with a neck with macassar ebony fingerboard to have more warm sound...
    who knows the differences between BN5 with maple fingerboard and BN5 with macassar ebony?
    Could I really have a warmer tone but always a good slap tone with macassar ebony?

Let me know...

2. Hi!

I never tried the F with Ebony.
    First, I don't know if it's possible tohave a replacement neck...
    Have to contact George Furlanetto! (perhaps you've done it and it's possible!!)

About the slap sound with mac, I ever heard Adrian Garcia of Accessbass telling that with the ebony board you have the same slap sound with a warmer fingerstyle sound.
    So, you have a different F. But slap tone is still there!!

Ask for Adrian Garcia, Big O on the forum, I know they owned both...

Vince

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have a BN6 with an ash body and a maple board, and I've played a BN6 with a quilted maple top and an ebony board. They do sound/feel different.

The ebony and the top laminate add a little compression and sustain, while the solid ash with the maple board is crisp with more transient attack (for lack of better description). I would say my bass has more of a jazz bass vibe, while the ebony/figured top bass was a little more balanced, and hifi sounding.

I've been thinking about upgrading myself.

Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really would like one with a Mac board as well. I'm a huge fan of Mac Ebony's finger-style tone.

5. Ebony fingerboards are great for fretted or fretless basses. My Lakland fretted 5 has a really nice ebony fretboard and it has a great tone as well. Hey, most great Jazz guitars have ebony fretboards for a reason!