Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fbass BN :maple or macassar ebony fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabbass, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Hi,
    I own a Fbass BN5 swamp ash body with maple fingerboard,
    I'm thinking to replace my neck with a neck with macassar ebony fingerboard to have more warm sound...
    who knows the differences between BN5 with maple fingerboard and BN5 with macassar ebony?
    Could I really have a warmer tone but always a good slap tone with macassar ebony?

Let me know...

2. Hi!

I never tried the F with Ebony.
    First, I don't know if it's possible tohave a replacement neck...
    Have to contact George Furlanetto! (perhaps you've done it and it's possible!!)

About the slap sound with mac, I ever heard Adrian Garcia of Accessbass telling that with the ebony board you have the same slap sound with a warmer fingerstyle sound.
    So, you have a different F. But slap tone is still there!!

Ask for Adrian Garcia, Big O on the forum, I know they owned both...

Vince

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have a BN6 with an ash body and a maple board, and I've played a BN6 with a quilted maple top and an ebony board. They do sound/feel different.

The ebony and the top laminate add a little compression and sustain, while the solid ash with the maple board is crisp with more transient attack (for lack of better description). I would say my bass has more of a jazz bass vibe, while the ebony/figured top bass was a little more balanced, and hifi sounding.

I've been thinking about upgrading myself.

Jake
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really would like one with a Mac board as well. I'm a huge fan of Mac Ebony's finger-style tone.

5. Ebony fingerboards are great for fretted or fretless basses. My Lakland fretted 5 has a really nice ebony fretboard and it has a great tone as well. Hey, most great Jazz guitars have ebony fretboards for a reason!