Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fbass BN5 fretless review........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jugghaid, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    You know how when you buy something and you have these HUGE expectations...you know you think it's going to be the second coming or something. Nothing can ever really live up to these expectations though so you are always at least a little tiny bit disappointed.

Well, not this time. I had such high expectations for this bass that there was no way it could meet them. Not possible. Until I plugged it in and played it that is. :D It not only met my highest hopes for what this bass would be, it completely exceeded them. This is unbelievable. I just played it for an hour and I have a HUGE **** eating grin on my face right now.

The playability of this bass is pretty much impossible to describe. I've had quite a few high end basses in the stable over the last few years, and played many more, but this one by far kicks the living crap out of all of them. Modulus, Pedulla, MTD, Lull, Zon, you name it. This thing feels like an extension of your hands (mine at least) it's so comfortable.

The craftsmanship is absolutely top notch. It feels so solid it is unbelievable. The neck is flawless, the sustain and mwahh from this thing is incredible. I can even get a great...not good but GREAT sla tone out of it. It's a fretless.

The tone is amazing as well. The preamp is extremely versatile and I can get it to go from zingy and very bright to an upright thump in no time using the master tone knob. Plus you have the 3 band EQ to fine tune every little nuance. Absolutely amaxing. By far the best bass I have ever played and the sweetest sounding fretless I have ever heard.

Top all that off with killer looks and I am the most satisfied new Fbass custome there could possibly be. George is a damn genius. Now I need a fretted BN5.

[​IMG]

2. Damn Juggs! That's awesome. :) I'd love to just be able to try OUT an Fbass sometime, much less own one! That finish is definitely to die for. Fbass and Ritter just do it for me on finishes. Nobody compares.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I am so glad I took the leap of faith on this one. I briefly played a fretted BN5 a while back and loved it. This thing is incredible.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats again-now we'd better not see this bass in the Classifieds after THAT review! :D

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Now I need a fretted BN5"

GAS follows GAS, as surely as night follows day. :)

Well Jughaid, you sound excited. George certainly does make some fine instruments, and it sounds like you have one.

I hope you enjoy it, and have lots of fun with it.

Cheers!

7. That sounds like it might just beat my new Brice V2. Seriously, I recently bought a Brice as an entry level fretless and it is very good for that, but when I saw your BN5, really wow. That is one qorgeous instrument (both tonally and visually) and is now on my wish list.

P.S. Please understand that I'm not seriously making a comparison of the Fbass and the Brice. It's just my humor.

8. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'll second that.

:D:D

Thanks a billion Adrian. Absolutely incredible.

9. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Not a chance. This one's a keeper. If I needed a new kidney, this would be the last thing to go.

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Very true. Actually I'm really happy with my own custom fretted 5 string
    [​IMG]

But eventually, I may have George build me a really nice and unique BN5.

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats! It looks like a killer bass.

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Tellin' the world about this one ain'tcha.......

;)

13. Often Lost

Often Lost

Jan 3, 2004
    Holy hell, thats the sexiest fretboard Ive ever seen. Good job!

14. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Shoutin' from the rooftops, brother. I'm officially an Fbass convert. :)

15. That is one op-art mofo,
    But I will hate to hear the consternation (sp?) of all you BN-5 guys when you realize you could have had a BN-6, or a V-8 :D

16. Hey Juggy: Always good to hear from a new convert... welcome to the church of F, where we all worship a nice piece of ash!

:cool: That is definitely the most deadly looking fretless F I've seen- Adrian knows how to spec them; that green ceruse finish and diamondwood board! I'm curious as to why Adrian didn't order the fixed ebony bridge (standard on BNF's)?

This is, of course, a meaningless question when the end result is so pleasing visually and musically!! Congratulations!

17. My solution - one Studio, one BN5, one BN6, and a Caron 6 still to buy!!
    ;)

18. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I don't know. I like the bridge on it a lot though so no problem there. Never had a wooden bridge so I don't know how comfy I'd feel with that.

This thang is buttah..... :)

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the reason i wnet with a metal bridge is adjusting the fixed ebony bridge is a pain in the :eek:
    and i find with fretless, string height is plays a huge factor in the mwah department- so having an adjustable bridge made sense, also, the black blends right in- ebony would be brown against the black ceruse- but adjustability was the reason for the metal bridge

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just got a BN6....why have a BN5? ;)

That is one killer looking fretless! I would love a fretless F, but I don't think the pocket will allow for quite a while!