Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fbass BNF alder vs. BNF ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabbass, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Hi,
    I own a Fbass BNF with ash body...
    who knows the main differences in tone between the "old" BNF with alder body and maple centerblock and the "new" BNF with light swamp ash body?
    Which of these two woods gives more "mwhaa" sound?
    I never tried a BNF with alder body...

Let me know...

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Based on the FAQ at Fbass.com, I'd say Alder would be best for a fretless, since most of what we call "mwah" lives in the mids:

http://fbass.com/faq.htm#04

However, I will say I've heard a "standard" Ash body F fretless that had one of the most amazing fretless tones I'd ever heard (it was originally Adrian Garcia's, now someone elses, up for sale, but not cheap... it's a custom). Based on their FAQ, I wonder if the Alder would be even better? I can't even imagine that.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would go with Swamp Ash, the grain on the wood he is getting is Killer. :hyper:

4. As far as I am known, alder would be great for fretless bass.
    I know some like mahogany but I would go with alder if I order fretless bass someday.
    Just IMOP.

5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1

6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Either way its an Fbass, it should sound great. I would go with Mr. Furlanetto's reccommendation for light ash. I believe with other woods there may be an upcharge and his basses are already kinda pricy!

I personally would love a light alder F to go with my blue ash one. MMMMmmmmmm. F's are excellent I have honestly been trying to try some other basses to decide what other brand to consider for a different tone but these basses still amaze me enough to just get a used one and maybe mod/change the preamp.
    F's rule....

7. I owned an F Bass BNF5 for a while ... it was a passive model ... one of the coolest looking basses I ever owned.

Not to burst anyone's bubble though, but to be honest, I never liked the tone and I tried a bunch of different types of strings on it. It just didn't have any tonal range and sounded really flat to me. That being said, I don't think ash vs. alder would make a huge difference for a passive BNF5 based on my experince.

Some things I just don't get about F Basses ... there aren't any ferrules on the string-through holes in the body, so they get messed up over time ... and how do you easily adjust intonation on a bass with a fixed bridge, especially if you change string guage (or go between exposed core and regular strings).

8. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    my BNF5 has a Hipshot Style A metal bridge...I think it's more pratical for everything...I use DR Fat Beam.
    who knows the differences in tone between ebony and metal bridge? did you try to do a comparison between a BNF with ebony bridge and a BNF with metal bridge?

9. I didn't have a chance to perform a comparison between two models, although I've never seen a BNF5 that didn't have the ebony tailpiece with the body through stringing. I think the F Bass ebony tailpiece is brilliant, but it needs to be adjustable. The ebony tailpiece they make that has Piezo's is adjustable, but about $800 to get installed.