Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FBass GFC Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by um... yeah, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Hi everybody,
    Has anyone checked out the GFC line that George is offering?
    Look at this:

[​IMG]

This is the bass I've been dreaming about. My guess is it's every bit as amazing as his BN-5 but I have to try this thing! ....wonder if he has any lying around the shop :rolleyes:

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    whats the diff between the BN5 and thid thing besudes this ones big price tag?

3. Two reasons:

1. I think It looks better
    2. It's built by George

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Supposedly it's a bit moire oldschool in it's neck shape, I know there's a thing on the website about those.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Those have been discontinued. Apparently they did not catch on and were more expensive than the very popular BN5 - Essentially the same components.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not surprised. Personally I find the shape uninspired, especially compared to the BN series. Not to mention the huge price tag.

Question: The fact that George "personally" made these basses implies that he has little/less to do with the Fbass construction? Probably not, I'm just curious.

7. Well....after seeing other pics of that model I've come to the conclusion that the body design is nice, but not as stunning as the BN5, and that I grudgingly agree with the above comments, the high price just doesn't justify a different body shape.
    As for it being built exclusively by George himself...well he has a hand in nearly every aspect of his instruments anyway, superb as they are already.

8. If you want absolutely a bass made by GF, you just have to order a custom model from Adrian Garcia! (Hey AG ;) !)
    I only tried models standard and think they are wonderful....My custom BN5 is on the way....Will tell you what I think!

Whatdo you think of this Adrian? Bass made byGF are better or the same than the standard models?

Vince

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I have a beautiful cherry burst GFC. It's a little heavier than a BN5, but just as playable. On the back where the serial number is, there's an actual inlay, which is different from the "Made In Canada" sticker that's on the back of the BN5 headstock. And George signed every one, on the top of the back of the headstock. Sound-wise it's pretty similar to an F bass, same EQ and pickups, but the extra weight gives it a little thumpier character, a little more P-bassy sounding maybe. Same F bass slappability though. Nice instrument.