Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FBASS OR NORDSTRAND

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan17, Jul 14, 2005.

1. bryan17

bryan17

Apr 28, 2002
    I LIKE THEM BOTH. CAN SOMEONE DO A COMPARISON?

BRYAN

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Nordstrand has 10 letters and F Bass has 5 letters in the name.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Nordstrand would be more custom. Typically F basses are ash/maple but you can "upgrade" to an ash/ebony combo for the fretted types. Also the electronics package is standard F equipment

Nordstrand has a much more open approach to letting you choose all of the aspects of your bass (within reason I suppose). You can choose your pickups and pre (including the F pre) and body woods etc. from a wide variety of sources. Carey would also help guide your choices.

Basically if you like the F sound you have to get the F. If not, the Nordstrand would definitely be worth looking into. I think he is by far the best of the "up and coming" builders.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its probably also worth noting that an F-Bass is designed to be the proverbial "j-bass on steriods", whereas a Nordstrand can be whatever you commission it to be.

As such, if the j-bass is your thing, but you want a less traditional design and features (ie three band preamp, piezo bridge etc) then Fbass might be a good option.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That's it...in a nutshell! :)

6. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    F=10 letters also!sort of.

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    F basses rock!!!

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    F Basses DO rock! so do Nordstrands! I own both and I can tell you that in the case of MY basses, the F Bass definitely has the Jazz on steroids thing going on and the Nordstrand has, for lack of a better term believe me, because I don't mean to link these two luthiers, more of a Fodera-ish type tone. Both play like a dream, my Nordie is an absolute gem.
    I own three basses:
    A Nordstrand, an F Bass and a Sadowsky ( just so i can be accepted in this forum ;) )
    you have picked two of the best builders on the planet, you can't go wrong. In fact , these guys are friends.
    Come to Vegas and you can check them out :bassist:

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    FBass!!!

I prefer the feel and sound of my Fbass. The only likening to a jazz is when the bridge pup is full on and neck pup 30% or in single coil mode. I have made my F sound like a thumpy pbass or a bright rick tone with a pick among other things with the preamp. So IMO the F will be more versitile in sound and easier to find used, and sometimes cheaper in price.

Nordies are awesome and you could go custom in the neck shape, or even get an Fbass preamp in it if you want. The wait for a custom bass would kill me though. Thats what broke the decision between the same two models for me about a year ago. ;)

Good luck

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I wouldn't classify a Fbass as a jazz bass on steroids, at least the ones I've ever come in contact with. They lack some output in the pickup department, so to me, you can't make the steroid comment with Fbass, but rather you can say it's a modern take on a jazz bass. Plus, the Fbass can do more than just a jazz bass even though it certainly has that vibe to it. The Sadowsky to me has a jazz bass on steroids vibe to it though.

11. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    All this F-Bass talk... I can't take it!! Adrian, did you receive my BN6 yet?

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    waiting.. should be here before i go to rehearsal and a gig ;)
    i wonder if i will make a lot of mistakes on a 6 tonight!!

kidding again, bro- if i put a scratch on that thing you will come out and personally beat my arse...

13. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    No worries, I'd take it as being officially broken in. I was serious if you want to test it out... unless you can ship it today of course. ;)

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    bro- you dont want it shipped today even if it comes in time- it will sit over the weekend in 114 degree weather! i will get it out to you monday.

still waiting....

15. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Yes, you are correct. I forgot how brutal it is out there... but is it at least 'dry heat'?

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

I agree... I've never seen F Basses exhibit mood swings or complain of shriveled testicles.

For me the best Jazz basses on steroids have been... Fender Jazzes. Some are better than others. They're the only basses that truly nail the magical "J" sound... though my F Bass studio comes very, very close;)

Carey Nordstrand and George Furlanetto both make excellent basses. All depends on what you want.

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I always play my F Bass BN5's in Single Coil Mode. The output is boosted noticeably in SC mode compared to the humbucker mode.

When I play Fingerstyle in Single Coil Mode, I adjust the bridge PU to 100%, the front PU anywhere from zero to 50%. (dual volume knobs) I adjust the midrange control from halfway to 100% (it's VERY musical even at 100%), with the Passive tone control dialed down from 20% to 50%. I NAIL a Fender Jazz sound that is the stuff dreams are made of. Can you say Jaco tones? Oh My! It seriously growls with that punchy mid-range, Jaco-esque, burpy mid tone. I can almost make it sound like a fretless when I place my right hand close to the bridge.

then, if I dial up both pickups evenly, dial down the midrange control, Passive tone all the way up, I nail Marcus Miller Glassy, sweet slap tones. This bass is all that in ONE instrument!

F Bass = Sonic Nirvana! (for me) Plays so nice too. The neck is fast and very comortable.

You can get a deep, big, full, round almost P-Bass vibe as well. My F Bass is simply the most versatile bass I've ever owned and played. Gary

18. Hi there,

I've never had the opportunity to try a Nordie before, despite having heard so many wonderful things about Carey's work, but all I can say is I have never looked back after acquiring my F-bass !!!

The comments on the tone and presence of the F-bass from my bass-playering friends, other musicians and the PA guys have been consistently very encouraging.

Also just as important, the ergonomics (in addition to the tone) of the instrument just continues to inspire effortless playing, hour after hour, day after day, month after month... :bassist:

Just two cents from an extremely satisfied F-bass owner.

Kind regards,
    Beebebop,
    Beijing.

19. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Funny you say that... I won a contest on the Fbass board to guess what "BN" meant in George's model numbers... it was "Bass Nirvana"

So there you go.

20. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Very cool!!! I always wondered what BN meant and now I know!