FBass - Too Heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm itching to pull the trigger on a unique FBass that just came up for sale, but since I'll have to buy without being able to lay my hands on it, I am looking to youse folks for your two cents. I've seen video of this exact bass and love the sound, and have played a couple of FBasses so I know I like the feel. But I haven't had the opportunity to play them for very long. So, bottom line:

Are Fbasses too heavy? Lighter 5 strings from FBass always seem to hover around 10 lb (this one apparently weighs around 9lb 12 oz). People say they "balance well"; does this actually have an effect on how it feels after an hour-long gig?

2. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    No. My new BN6 is 10lbs 11oz. I just bought a levy's PM32 strap (3in wide, padded) and it's just fine. Balances perfectly.

The F-bass strap at 3.5in wide is supposed to be even better.

I haven't had any 3hr long gigs or anything on it, but so far the Fbass with 3in padded strap feels better than my 9lb jazz on the 2in unpadded strap it came with...

3. bass08053

bass08053 Supporting Member

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    I've been using an FBass BN5 for 15 years and can easily say it's perfectly balanced and doesn't leave me in pain after gigs. I also use the straps they sell as well. Check out the F Bass group here on TB and you will get hundreds of opinions from F Bass users who will likely say the same thing I did.

P.S. Many of my gigs are 3-4 hours and I'm still good after.

remcult and mngnt like this.
  4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    TB members often "unload" quality basses
    that happen to be on the too HEAVY side! They never come out and say that they are selling the basses because of the heavy weight.

Lame Excuses
    1. I've gone in a different direction.
    2. I am downsizing.
    3. I'm having a custom bass built.
    4. blah, blah, blah.......

If you buy the bass you may initially convince yourself that the weight isn't an issue.
    However, with time you will come to realize why the original seller was willing to part with
    such a quality bass.

It's your call!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  5. I'm certainly no expert on F bass and I have read sales threads for some F basses that are fairly light, around 8 lbs or so but it seems these are the exception not the rule. I have a friend that sits in often with his F bass and I've played it a few times but at (I'm guessing here) 9.5 plus pounds maybe 10, and I wouldn't buy one in that weight range ever, period! I'll add I'm 64 and have some compressed vertibrae in my back and I don't want to gig with even a nine pound bass anymore. My go to basses are under nine. And still I hurt the next day and sometimes when I play several gigs in a week I need a day or so to recover. All this is simply to say if weight is an issue, don't go there. There are many many very high quality bass in the same price range.

murphy, remcult and Mr_O'B like this.
  6. To follow up on what Mr_O'B just said here's a little story. Several years ago I had to sell a vintage P bass I'd had for 40 yrs, due to a divorce and financial problems. In trying to find a replacement I bought several basses. One was a AVRI 1958 Precision. I was very excited about getting it and thought it would replace my old P and be my new love! I took it home and played it for an hour and my back hurt. I put it in the case and it sat for awhile. Every so often I'd take it out to confirm it wasn't comfortable "for ME" then put it back in the case. I've been doing this for 5 years. My opinion hasn't changed. I'm good at buying but not very good at selling. I guess I hope my back will get stronger. Hahahaha If weight is an issue I'd look at Elrick basses. They are in the same ballpark quality wise as the best of the best and almost all of them are under 9 lbs, many under 8. They work for me and I want to get a 5 now that I've played his Gold series 4 for a few years. And I play 4 hour gigs all the time and two gigs a day on some weekends.

murphy and Mr_O'B like this.
  7. swedbass

swedbass Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Los Angeles CA
    F Bass Artist
    There is a relationship between weight and tone. Heavier isn't necessarily better, but if you ask George F he will tell you that the optimal weight for an ash BN5 is about 10 lbs. the ergonomic design of F basses in combination with their wide, soft strap makes them indeed feel less taxing to wear.

That said, for a four hour gig that is not a concert situation, I would play something light weight. You can counteract some of the negative effects of a heavy instrument with proper posture and strength training but experience has taught me that it ain't worth playing a heavy instrument for those types of gigs.

phillipkregg, murphy and remcult like this.
  8. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I have had a Fbass BN5 for 17 years, it has the best balance of any bass on a strap I have ever played. The reach is a little shorter to first position than most basses, more noticeable if you have it strapped up high on your chest. All of the weight is on the body end and for me is less fatiguing to play than lighter basses that have the center of gravity more toward the neck pocket or have neck dive . Mine is right around 10lbs.

phillipkregg, bass08053 and murphy like this.
  9. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Why is the owner selling the bass?

10. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's one of the FBass direct dealers, one of the smaller guys

11. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Ok, is there a return policy?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've owned 6 different F basses, my favorite with the best tone is 7.4 lbs and doesn't have the ash body that George and Marcel currently recommend.

remcult, murphy, wellso74 and 2 others like this.
  13. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Fbasses balance great, but a 10lb bass is a 10lb bass. Mine is almost 11lbs and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the tone.

If I wanted Light I'd get a NYC Sadowsky.

murphy likes this.
  14. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    We all have our preferences. There is no bass tone on earth so sweet that I would own a bass weighing 9.5 lbs. or more.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    murphy likes this.
  15. wellso74

wellso74 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    I don't buy in to the weight philosophy. My first Fbass was 9.5 BN5. I tried a 10lb and I knew it was going to be uncomfortable with long gigs. I just received a BN6 which I had made- I requested a light bass- low 9lb. It came out to 9.2lb - its also a 33" scale. its super comfortable and sounds like all of the other Fbasses Ive owned- all of which have been killer.

remcult, murphy and Mr_O'B like this.
  16. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    IMO, a 9.2 lb. bass provides the right amount of heavy and heft to the tone.

joebar, wellso74 and murphy like this.
  17. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Your candidate weighs 9 lb 12oz.

My six string fretless weighs 10 lbs 6oz.
    My seven stringer weighs 13 lbs 6oz!

Get a thick,wide padded Comfort Strapp and the weight will be bearable.
    Comfort.jpg

18. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Who wants bearable when it's easier for the OP to buy the strap for a FBass that doesn't weigh a tone!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  19. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Northern ash...says so right in their specs.

20. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

If a Comfort Stapp makes my seven BEARABLE it'll make his bass light as a feather!
    If I can stand and play a 10.6lb or 13 lb bass with it.So can he with is 9 lb bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021