fbb #62 underway...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Oct 28, 2002.

1. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I know this design incorporates two prominent features that people either love or hate...sorry in advance if it offends your sensibilities.

I guess this would be the zygote stage?

Single cut 8 string octave
    Buckeye burl top
    7 pc wenge/prplhrt/mpl neck
    34" 28 fret flame maple fb
    3/16" between octave strings
    neck width = 1 3/4 @nut, 2 5/8 @ 24th fret
    bart 72p25 soapbar pickups
    Aguilar OBP-3 preamp
    Hipshot UL's/Gotoh minis
    sapele body wings
    allparts bridge bb358
    headstock overlay
    tigerwood knobs
    rounded body edges
    black hardware
    dvd player

not sure of yet: string order

just hoping to contribute to the whole 'in-progress' trend.
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Looks really cool. I would go with neck showing rather than hidden. I love the wenge/purpleheart combo.

3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    looks really good!! gotta love that wood combination!;)
  4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Hey Xush, great looking top. What kind of tone are you going for with this? Here's a vote for an all-covered body, that burl is awesome, and covered neck-thru is pretty uncommon. BTW, gorgeous body shape, this will be one-of-a-kind, yes?
  5. That burl looks great! It appears to have the much-sought-after blue hues. It also doesn't look wide enough for a full top. If it is, I would go for the hidden neck thru - on top only, I would have the neckthru show on the back. When done well, it's a beautiful effect. I understand buckeye is a poor tonewood and you would need to rely on the other woods for tone.

Why not add a headphone amp and jack?

Will the cell phone have a hands free option? ;)

6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks guys!
    the top is from the same supplier that Alembic gets theirs from. I was looking for as much of the blue/grey hues as possible. Didn't realize how hard that was going to be.

I like full tops myself, but Matt advised against it with the buckeye. He's heard from a lot of folks that having a spongy/less stable wood under the bridge ain't quite the feel you want. With the added tension of 8 strings, I'm inclined to follow his suggestions on this one. It's a pretty think laminate, so I don't know that it'd impact the tone much anyway.

headphone amp...dang, I knew I'd forget something!

Tonally, I'm relying more on the Barts and Aggie pre. I know I love the wenge/purpleheart neck combo, but how much of that is tone vs feel I can't really say. Sapele is like an african mahogany, so we'll see if it contributes much.
    I figure an 8 needs strong mids/hi mids, so hopefully we'll get a good combo. You never really know though, till it's done. So-far, each custom has its own personality and to me it's pretty hard to predict the precise flavor it's going to have.

I do hope this one will be quite lickable though...
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    PS, is anybody else seeing some kind of bird/bat-man kind of thingy in the blue?
  8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'd say you have it all covered then, IMO you will have a very clear, clean sound that cuts through without mud or booming, I know you have other basses to "rattle the dishes." I'm going to be almost as anxious as you are to see this one done.
  9. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I definitely prefer that shape (Lupis ?) in singlecut.
    Looking good !
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I notice that you say you haven't decided on string order, yet.

I've got the octave strings on the treble side on my 8 string fretless, and I really like the way it plays. One of my main goals was to be able to play the strings independently, too, and with the octave strings on the treble side, I can play pretty quick walking bass lines on the bass strings, and also play pretty well on the octave strings, by themselves.

I've found that when I play with a pick using downstrokes that it sounds pretty much like an 8 string with the octave strings on the bass side. The difference comes when playing fingerstyle. By hitting the octaves first with my normal stroke, it seems to be more noticable than when I've played 8s in the store with the standard octave string on the bass side.

Another advantage to having the strings on the treble side is that I can play, for example, the octave E with both A strings--not something you can do with the strings on the bass side.
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks for the advice, bassmonkeee;
    I really wanted to make it to the Atlanta GTG last time, especially to see your fretless 8.

Most everyone is advising me to go with the order you mention. All I've played is with the octave on the other side though. That's the fun with the commission process; I don't know what I'm going to get till I got it...

Have you got your string spacing specs handy?

I really liked the droney sitarish stuff I heard in your samples a while back...maybe my next fretless will sport a few more strings.

I guess I've pretty much committed to letting the neck show. ah well, there's always next time.
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    And the jealousy cycle between myself and Brendan starts all over again.
    Hey Brendan...I know where he keeps those FBBs! ;)
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    btw, where's my F bass anyway?

soon you'll have to deal w/ this security measure at the studio though:

attack dog
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [Eric Cartman voice]

Kick Ass!!!

[/Eric Cartman voice]
  15. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yes yes, I like it, I like it alot. More than alot.. I may even have to steal if from you.. once I find out where you live.. but i'm rather lazy so you probably don't have anything to worry about there... maybe... ;)

Seriously.. Singlecut basses have started to grow on me and recently I've been getting some slight G.A.S by looking at them...

I think you should get a flat screen on there too.. it would make watching those dvds much easier
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thank you sir! I shall leave the door unlocked for you.

I know (from the debates raging here lately) that singlecuts and burl tops ain't everybody's thang...but I guess that's what makes the oblate spheroid rotate.

Ever since I saw my first Buckeye top, I was drawn to the coloring. I really like abstract/modern art, and the blue/grey figuring just speaks to me. I know it might be perceived as a fad or trend, but I can live with it.

I'm kind of surprised no one has weighed in with their hatred of this design yet. Not that I'm looking for abuse, but it seems like most of these threads usually take a little bashing.
  18. Okay - I hate it. Really.

I HATE the fact that you found such a GREAT piece of Buckeye!! I can't stand it! :D

I love the look of good buckeye, too. Something about the marble look. I especially like the pieces with the blues and cream colors.

Your site looks great. Thanks for putting it up.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hey Mark!!

Nice fishing lure... er.. I mean ASAT!! When did you snag that one??

20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, now THAT is an ugly bass! Kinda scared me there...

Got it off the dudpepit a week or so ago.

Me likey alot! Rude, lewd, and devoid of pulchritude! Very versatile. Not quite as much as FBB #51, but close...