Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FBB audio samples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Oct 16, 2002.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That middle pickup sound is pretty kickin', and the neck and bridge is mucho bitchin' as well. Very impressive sounds. I've been a supporter of Matt's work since Pete's FBB...and that is one killer sounding bass. Color me insanely jealous. I can see the use of all three, the middle soloed is very good sounding, but so is the bridge and neck...three pickups is very nessicary!

I'm impressed. My GAS for an FBB grows more now.

How'd you record, and what (if any) EQs were involved?

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Brendan, I'd hoped we'd both get to attend the Atlanta Bass GTG, but I wasn't able to make it; if I recall correctly, you couldn't either? I was planning on bringing the FBB's, I'd really love to have other folks check them out. Hopefully next time, or if you guys make it over to a Bass Summit here at my studio, you're always welcome in Mobile AL.

It was a real quick little tracking session in between stuff, didn't really have time to do what I'd like (like plan something to play! I like to be spontaneous, but please..)

The bass went thru the J -Retro Stompbox, which was engaged but set flat, the level at 3/4ths to give a little more signal.
    I ran the bass in passive mode, so there is absolutely no EQ involved off the bass. I figured that would let it speak for itself. Now I should go back and do some active EQ curves. I think the passive sounds great, imagine sculpting that a bit!
    there's almost too many options to really run thru them all. For example, I totally forgot to demo the 'blow' position with all 3 p'ups full on. Phooey!

The J- Retro preamp was sent directly to a DA88 digital 8 track machine. No EQ, no board path at all. Then the DA88 went to my new PC, which is using some software I'm not used to yet, hence a few moments of OD on some of the max bass notes. Krunk. Gotta watch that next time.

I wish I knew what accounts for the tone. The overall recipe has cooked up exactly what I want from a bass. Can't believe my first custom came out so perfect for me. Is it the wenge? The walnut? The thick neck? The Barts? The strings?
    Wish I knew which components account for which tonal attributes, but I don't. It's all alchemy/synergy/voodoo to me.

I know everybody who gets a custom instrument built usually gushes and can find no faults with it.
    I've had this one for a few months now and it is definitely my favorite fretted bass. I would not hesitate to put it's craftsmanship up there with all the high-end basses I've played.

I took a chance, and I've never been happier. I'm selling off a bunch of my other basses to have more FBB's made.

4. Yummy, such wonderful sounds :D I really like the sounds coming from that beauty. It also helps that you can play the hell out of it. ;)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    DAMN YOU AND YOUR GLOWING REVIEW!!!!

Yeah, I didn't make it to the Atlanta TB, unfortunately. I'm looking into an FBB myself, given your and Pete's results. Both of those basses sound postively massive; just the way I like my basses!

If that's the passive mode only, I'm already drooling at the mouth. I might hold off on that Roscoe 7 if those FBBs are that good. I'm looking at an FBB 4 or 6, maybe 7. Probably 6, but I'd like more than one FBB, so there's room for more. :D

All I need is some money and some time...

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I appreciate all the feedback! I like to hear others impressions of what they hear. I only wish the samples were more interesting! I just kind of banged them out in some spare minutes...

I'm working on getting my fretless demo's together too. Probably restring it with rounds and do some clips.

I don't know how everybody feels about solo vs band settings... to hear the bass dry and unaccompanied certainly gives a good impression of the tone it can produce, but it's important to hear it in a setting that is realistic too. Hopefully we'll have some songs recorded soon.

I think I'm going to have to yank my GK2b off the Fender & make this the 'do-it-all' fretted.

We'll be putting #51 thru the Dali Morpher soon and concocting a fretless that should incorporate all the things I've learned to love about a toothless bass. I guess I should wait for him to finish my present commission first...

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I thought the neck soloed and the middle/neck weren't that great (got OD'd), but if it's a software problem, I'd definitely like to hear more of that bass, even just in passive.

What's the neck shape/feel similar too? How did you go around designing this (I know you've answered this before, but I wanna hear it again!)? And what made you go for 3 pups? What are the positions, and how did you come to them? They look awefull close for a regular J-bass setup. And are they all the same pup?

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I haven't really favored the 2 positions you mentioned much...but then I usually don't on a Jazz-type setup. They're there if I need them though, I guess...

Neck shape, hmmm. Not really similar to anything I've played. I'm going to go with 'Extremely thick' so as not to mislead anyone. It is big. Round. Chunky. It's also asymetrical, which helps. Think 'bigger than Warwick.' I wouldn't be surprised if the neck thickness has to do with the solid tone. It ain't a skinny profile, did I make that abundantly evident? :)

It's the first custom I spec'd out myself, so I relied on Matt's input alot. Still do. For that one, we defined a 'look' (dark/chocolatey) and went from there. I knew I wanted a wenge neck/FB, so we selected what we felt would best complement that.

I liked the tonal versatility of my Danelectro Hodad, and wanted to see what it would sound like super-charged. Matt's done quite a few of the 3 p'up setups, so I talked to him, and he got me in touch with the other owners who had that setup. We discussed how to go about it, and what tone to expect. I think I'm the first one to use the 2 blend setup where you can get every conceivable positions, and a few that are 'incontheivable.' That took a little homework, as far as the control config. I think Matt may have come up with the 2 blend idea in the end.

They are all the same Bart J p'ups. We took the normal J-bass positions and stretched them out a bit to make room for the middle so they wouldn't phase each other out too bad. There is still some phasing when you use all 3, but it's not that noticeable. Still can't believe I forgot to record that one!

To me, the bridge/neck combo is what a jazz should sound like, it eats my MIA Fender J for lunch!

The only thing I would change is the truss rod cover, which I'm in the process of doing. It's a little thick and sometimes impedes my grabbing the strings underneath when popping. Not terrible, but it's the only thing I didn't forsee. Matt's putting the access cavity on the headstock of the upcoming 8 string, which I hear is preferred with 8's anyway. (Yes, I slap/pop on 8 string. I have a problem.)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You do have a problem. You should send me some of those basses. That'll solve problems, right? :D

Hmn..Warwick necks aren't to bad for me...now Spector, that's a little to much for me, but Warwicks do me right. Now I'll have to plot out a devious 6 string of doom. I can't stand 5s, and with sounds like that, it'd be a crime to let the range go at 4. Maybe even 7!

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, just call me the smoov criminal!

Tell him I sent ya. Just don't interrupt my 8 being built!

(he's got a 7 stringer ready to go, you know...)

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't remind me. Me and my whole lack of 1300 bucks. I'd snap it up in a second. Maybe if he holds onto it untill christmas...I might be able to snag that mutha.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Shut up Mark!! I WANT that single-cut 7!!!! Oh, the life of a poor college student!
    I haven't listened to those clips yet, but I know first-hand that they will sound fantastic! I spent less than 10 minutes on that bass on the active side, and was able to dial in pretty much that exact sound I've been craving. Sweet, thick, warm Thunderbird sort of tone, but with more attitude.
    Mark's FBB is IMO the true swiss army knife of basses. It's probably the most versatile and perfect sounding bass I've ever played. I'm still planning on working with Matt again for a custom, but tuition increases and distractions have put that on hold for a while.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, you'll get no mercy from me :D If I get 1300 before that thing gets sold...it's mine. I'll let the Roscoe 7 sit for a little bit for that one.

Tell you what, if I get that, and don't like it enough to keep it, I'll hold onto it for you.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Doode!!!

The new bass does indeed sound sweet!!! Matt will get an order from me in the near future!!!

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yeah, I was about to snag that baby.... Then I had to have the transmission in my wife's car repaired.....:mad:

16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    But don't forget, tone also has a lot to do with the person behind the bass....

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, so I guess I have clear highs and a fat bottom!
    I also find my harmonic content to be quite pleasing.

Maybe you guys should go 1/3rds on that 7 strang, and time-share it...
    you know, each buy 3 strings and split the 7th?

18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I resemble that remark!!

No, I think Im gonna have him do a fretless for me.

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    yeah, I'm working up a fretless piezo 4 concept with him right now, for the next commission. Hope I have the $ by then...

I'm going to take my time spec'ing and really go nuts on this one. He's doing some R&D on a feature or two that he hasn't done before.

I don't know if I'm a good customer or a bad/nuisance one, but I am definitely a most satisfied patron!!

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Next one I have built I'd like to have a midi controller included..... One built in so I wouldn't have to put one of those Borg implants on one...

Speaking of Bass Summitt... Any ideas on when the next one's going to be? Would like to have my DP custom finished so I could bring it down...