FBB Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 12, 2003.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Does anyone have any info on these Basses,their really is not alot out their on them. Their prices seem pretty good. Any help would be great Thanks :)
  2. I'm really not sure what to say about my FBBs at this point other than that they're built well, sound great, and that Matt Schmill works very closely with you.

Pete i sent you a pm with the same question could you tell me what you paid for your 5 string.
  4. $1405, IIRC.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Fbb website:

6. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I just picked up a 6 string fretless FBB from another talkbasser about a month ago. It has a figured padauk top and Honduras mahogany back, 5 piece mahogany/bubinga neck, lined macassar ebony fretboard with padauk accent strip, 35" scale, Bartolini M56 pickups and gold hardware. Unusual shape. The pics didn't do it justice...it is really nice looking.

Big sound. Nice tight B. A bit of a dark sound but with nice articulation. Nice action, seems well made. For the money it is a heck of a bargain. I'm going to give it time to see if I am the 6 string type...If it were a 4 or 5 it would be a keeper for sure.

7. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Southborough, MA
    Hey Bob,
    Glad you're enjoying the bass!
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ohhh...so that's where the fretless 6 went...I was wondering about that the other day. I really like that singlecut 6 Matt's got, but I've had my eye on that 7 for quite some time now. Maybe it's time to quit being lazy and actually do something about the GAS. :rolleyes:
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i was wondering what happened to that bass. I think i offered to trade a Smith for that bass..obviously the cat turned it down.
    Glad it found a good home.

I called Matt yesterday and i read off your 5 string bass # and he said oh you want a Peter Mcferrin bass, i think i am going to give them a try. They have something instock i would like to try.
  11. :D

Mine seems to be pretty popular--Matt says he's gotten several requests to basically clone my instrument.
  12. that's what SHE said.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    They are pretty much the only basses I'll be buying from now on...

I took 2 to the Atlanta GTG, maybe some of those freaks will chime in with their observations. I'm a bit biased obviously.

Matt is wonderful to work with and is turning out some world class instruments. I played some of the most respected brands out there recently, and nothing made me want them over my FBB's.

The necks tend to be a little stout, it's a pretty thick profile. I think this is partly what's responsible for the huge tone, but Matt can slim them down for you if you prefer. Be sure to hash that detail out in particular, I think that's the only spec I'd point out as being a little different than other basses.
  14. I am totally gonna SEX you UP when I come out to DC this summer.
  15. I've got an early fbb 4-string fretless. The neck is 1.5" at the nut and doesn't taper out much, It's pretty thick, but I've always though a thick neck=fat tone. And it plays like buttah, though with the close spacing at the bridge, it's a little tough to slap, but that's not what I'm into anyway. It's a nice relief to switch off from my mahogany g&l, it feels about 1/3 of the weight.

Matt offers some interesting wood choices too, The back on mine is cherry, the neck is maple/walnut w. a The laminated purpleheart and bocote fingerboard, with a nice curly maple top.

i confirmed a payment plan on #047 - 02 with matt so i hope this is the bass for me. I should have the bass in may. I would be very greatfull if some one could tell me how to post pics. I think Peter has the nicest FBB i have seen:)
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    you can just link to the pic if it's hosted online, but Matt's are too big to do that, so download the pic, make it small enough to attach to your post and then do so...like this...
  18. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    then open the pic from your post in another window, copy it's address, and use the 'img' button to make it show in your post...

20. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Thank you for saving me some $...I've been lusting after the Dombro for quite a while.

That'll get me closer to my wacky fretless now.