FBB Custom #1053-02

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mrsfnkta, Aug 20, 2002.

1. mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Just wanted to write a little review of the bass that Matt Schmill of FBB Custom Bass Works finished for me...

Here's the specifics:

-All-domestic Arkansas bass - all woods indigenous to the Natural State!
    -4 string fretted, Player shape, 2.375" @ 24th fret
    -34" scale persimmon fingerboard
    -Buckeye Burl top/sassafras back
    -Walnut/maple/walnut accent line on body
    -Buckeye headstock veneer/cavity cover
    -5 piece maple/walnut neck-thru
    -Black Schaller bridge, Gotoh tuners
    -Bartolini M34 setup, Bartolini NTMB preamp

Check out the pictures at:

Wow, this thing is crazy light and balances like nothing else I have ever played. The carving is top notch - the neck is asymmetrical with a huge carve at the heel allowing for easy access to the upper registers. Very comfortable to play with the Thomastik Infeld JR-344s as well - I highly recommend them! The Bart soapbars and preamp are better than anything I have on any other bass. Overall, I have to say that Matt outdid himself on this one. Do yourself a favor and email or call him today and get your order in. Once more people see his stuff (as well as some of the other "smaller" names here), it is going to be hard to place that order...

Jim Isbell
  2. As the proud owner of #1046-01, I'm always happy to see more satisfied FBB users...I know that I love mine with every fiber of my being, and can't wait to get into the studio with my new band and get some real tracks laid down. It sounds killer on tape--and through my EBS/Aguilar rig...oh baby.

PS: this thread should probably be moved to Basses.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yo, Jim;
    ixnay on the aisepray till I get my next one, yah?
    can't he be our little secret?

seriously, I've done my share of proselytizing too. Great stuff coming from FBB! I've got #12 & #51, and I'll never give them up.

#53 is a beauty! Very nice top.

I'm calling dibs right here, if it ever happens that you need to part with it!
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    matt builds some really sweet basses...my fave one is the jive bass shape, though...yummy.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mark, I think pretty soon you're gonna be to FBB what JT is to Conklin! You'd better pace yourself there, man! Wait, on second thought, since I'm in the same town, don't slow down!!
    I can't wait for my next FBB, but it's gonna be a bit down the road. :(
    That new page Matt has up with all his special woods gives a preview to what I know will be some stunning basses!