1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FBB CUSTOM , WHAT'S THE WORD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rythman6969, Jun 2, 2007.

1. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I ORDERED A 4 STRING FRETTLESS FORM MATT SCHMILL. ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING GOOD OR BAD TO SAY ABOUT FFB?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've played some and have friends who own FBBs.
    Great basses man they do not disappoint in the least.
    Good buy!

3. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    THANKS, GOOD TO HEAR.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi,
    Couple of things: One, turn off the caps lock on your keyboard. It's considered rude. Two, it would probably have made sense to ask here about FBB before placing the order, wouldn't it? ;)

FWIW, his basses are not for everybody. I had one custom made for me, and even then there ended up being too many things about it that "weren't for me", things I couldn't have tried in advance since it was a full-custom build. It was a fine, fine bass; just not for me. You'll find they have very poor resale value too (which is true of most small-time custom builders).

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played a couple back in aught three (Bush had just taken the zero, so we had to say aught), and they were badass.

A couple years back (2005/2006, I think) he switched standard neck shapes, but before then, he had these massive baseball bat necks that were just amazing. The new necks are probably slimmer, but those old, chunky necks rocked. Even back in 03, he was putting out some amazing basses, and I can't imagine he's doing any worse these days.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    So that'd be, what? Dickity aught three?

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Woah, caps dude!

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've played two- a fretless and a fretted. Both were older models and I wasn't a fan of the necks at all (chunky and squarish), but the basses themselves sound and played very nicely. I imagine the newer ones have a different neck shape.

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just had a very sweet FBB fretted 4 pass through my collection, and I was sad to see it go. The neck was the closest to a Sterling neck that I have ever found. It was originally made for EbMatt. Nordy pups, Aggie pre, and tone for days. If I had not been in line for a new Ritter, I never would have let it go.

10. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    :bawl:

11. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    :crying::bawl::crying::bawl:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021