Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FBB Fretless 6 On Its Way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Mar 23, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have to admit to feeling just a little bit foolish, but I find myself getting more excited each day waiting for my new (old, but new to me) bass to arrive. Here's what happened ...

About 4 months ago I bought a Brice 6 from Rondo (previously blathered about enough :rolleyes: ) and found that I really felt right at home with the additional range, so much so that I immediately began to only use the 6, totally abandoning the 4's & 5's. Problem was, no 6 fretless, and I really needed a fretless for recording stuff (which I do a lot of).

Of course, being here on TB, I was immediately mentally contaminated by Jerzy Drozd (also previously regurgitated, over and over again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), so much so that I had a long, involved conversation with my wife about placing an order with Jerzy sometime in the next year. We figured, wait until the kitchen re-modeling is finished so we don't totally bust the bank. But my wife said, why not get a used bass and play it for a while (gotta love that girl :D ). A couple of posts on the TB WTB's, a contact from TB member Jon Chewning, some cash shipped out, and a fretless 6 is on the way (FBB #020, promo pic below). Should be here in Jersey early next week.

At first it seemed kind of matter-of-fact .... I need a fretless 6, found one, bought it, no big deal. But as each day goes by I find myself just a bit more excited to receive it, especially after reading some very complimentary FBB reviews. And I thought all of my GAS was well over :scowl:

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's a nice looking bass man! Not sure where Point Pleasant is, but if you ever gig in NYC with that thing, pls drop me a PM!

-Aram

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  4. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Pt. Pleasant is the Jersey shore .... I play in the city at least a few times each year, nothing booked there at the moment, though.

BTW, saw in your profile that you studied under John Schaeffer ... Homer Mensch was my personal instructor when I was in school over there (about a million years ago :eek: )

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Definitely let me know when you're playing, I'd love to see/hear the FBB in person!

I never met Homer Mensch, but I heard he's great -- he's definitely got students in a lot of orchestras. Schaeffer's an amazing teacher as well. I've been meaning to take up lessons again, but it's hard to find time to practice upright anymore with my schedule :(

6. Looks awesome man, good choice going with the FBB.

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice!! Welcome to the FBB world.

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Just got notification from my shipping department that the bass is scheduled for delivery today :hyper:

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    The bass arrived safe and sound :D

First of all, major props to TB member Jon Chewning :bassist: He was true to his word every single step of the way, from describing the bass to actually getting it shipped out. It doesn't seem like Jon is a major bass trader, but I would whole-heartedly recommend dealing with him if anyone ever has the chance. Also, Jon packed that bass so well that it would have withstood a nuclear attack! Jon, thanks so much!

As for the bass itself ...... UNBELIEVABLE!!! It is definitely the most well constructed bass I have ever owned .... some of you guys know what it's like to pick up a bass and have it feel so comfortable and perfect in your hands, just like it was built specifically for you, and as soon as you play it you know that this is the one you were waiting for :smug: It's kind of like being a teenage kid and finding out for sure that the bumps under Suzie's sweater aren't tissues, but the real deal! This bass is the real deal .......

I only played it for about an hour last night, but it sure felt great! I'll know more over the next few days ... I have a trio job backing up a jazz singer (perfect for the fretless) on Thursday and a studio date on Sunday. I promise to take pics and post up details early next week.

Man, I am happy :D

10. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Congrats!
    Love that funk of the FBB!

11. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    It's kind of like being a teenage kid and finding out for sure that bumps under Suzie's sweater aren't tissues, but the real deal! This bass is the real deal .......

..........Dude, if i ever meet you...you are getting the biggest hug ever...freakin awesome.
    -Greg

12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
  13. Thanks so much for the compliments Ed! I know I've always felt tentative when dealing with an online transaction, and it's nice when your contact is an upright (no pun intended!) dude like Ed.

I'm very happy this bass is getting played again, and you'll have to post some recorded samples when you get a chance.

Of course, all praise to Matt Schmill (the god) of FBB. Let me just say, BUY MATT'S BASSES! I've done my share! :hyper:

14. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002

Jon, do you still own this one ?
    It`s such a beautiful piece of art.

http://www.fbbcustom.com/basses/1067-02/1067-front.jpg

15. YES I DO! It's my regular player that I still cherish, both tonally and aesthetically. It also records very well. The only downside is its weight, but dang, I feel like OWN some lumber with that baby strapped on!

My second regular FBB is this one:

http://www.fbbcustom.com/basses/m080-03/m080-front.jpg

which is a tonal mutha... I loooove this bass!

16. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Oh, man :D :D played the bass exclusively last night, brought the fretted with me just in case intonation was a problem, but didn't need it (not that I'm bragging about my fretless intonation skills ... the bass is just simply so comfortable for me, the neck feels perfect!!) and believe me, the vocalist would have let me know if my intonation was off!!

This bass is a serious player .... I'll post up pics and details early next week

Oh man ........ :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: