Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FBB soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jul 16, 2002.

1. For all of those of you who wanted to know what my FBB sounds like, here are some .WAVs.

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/pam35/fbb-fingerstyle.wav

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/pam35/fbb-slappop.wav

Each file is the same phrase repeated 5 times, one time at each of the following pickup balance knob settings, in order:
    -full neck
    -60% neck, 40% bridge
    -center detent
    -40% neck, 60% bridge
    -full bridge

I recorded these files by running direct from the bass into the (awful-sounding) mic input on my Sound Blaster Live. No processing was used. I'm very annoyed with the distortion on the full-bridge examples in both files, but I'm not a recording engineer.

I'm actually kinda proud of my technique here--this is very clean compared to some past work, despite the total lack of compression. My rhythm probably isn't the keenest, but I'm working on it.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, kinda hard to hear under all the gunk :(

But some definite qualities do come out. Those are EMGs? I like the fingerstyle sound with both pickups on - especially the low notes. The slap sound at 60/40 maybe is good too - lots of bite, kind of similar to a Stingray (but different :) ).

3. The pickups are Bartolini M55Cs running into a 9V NTBT preamp. EMGs would likely have a lot more upper midrange and treble.

I really like the 60/40 and 40/60 settings. And yeah, the low B really comes out strong with the pickups at center detent, unlike every other 5-string I've ever played.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No way! they sound like EMGs to me! you must be wrong. :) j/k . Hmm. Lots more high-end than mine seem to have - mine are C's (deeper) as well. Sure they're not CX's?

5. Nope, they're Cs. I checked with Matt, and I requested the "deeper" model when I ordered the bass.

Three factors might be at play here:

1. Strings - I use Fodera Diamond stainless steel roundwounds, which are very bright strings and last a good while. The ones on my FBB are about 3 weeks old, so they're still quite zingy.

2. Pickup positioning - While the bridge pickup is in normal "hi-fi" position, the treble coil of the neck unit is where the bass coil of a Stingray pickup would be. This adds a lot of punch to the sound.

3. My hands - The tips of my fingers are sufficiently hardened from high-speed (well, relatively) practice that I could hold them over a lighter for at least 10 seconds without pain.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    3. do you ever stick pins in them? just kidding :)

Huh - I think the biggest one is probably the strings. I've had Elixirs on mine for most of the time I've had it, and they don't really have that zing to begin with. Anyway, sounds good!

7. bump

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn you McFerrin! That sounds really good...now I'm gonna have to get and FBB or something...

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I heartily endorse this product and/or service...

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure you do, Xush. :D