Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FBB Sweetness #030

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Dec 29, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    In what can only be described as an episode of sheer lunacy, Blisshead traded me bass-for-bass my GT7 natural for this beautiful FBB #030 5 string fretted :eek:

[​IMG]

And no, to all of you ERB guys, I haven't bailed out on the 7 string ;) . I was originally going to place an order with Matt @ FBB for a new 7 fretted extended single cut, but some serious financial set-backs have just cropped up and that'll have to wait for at least several months. I have a "loaner" GT7 wine colored that I'll be using for the next 1/2 year, part of a loaner deal with a guy that has my Kay DB ..... I really needed a 5 for a specific project I'm into, and nothing can be better than this :bassist:

Anyway, back to the FBB ....
    I've only had it for less than 24 hours, but right out of the box it was a thing of beauty. Like I've said many times, there is just something about these basses that fit me like a glove. And the workmanship is absolutely amazing :bassist:

[​IMG][​IMG]

That's a bookmatched Bacote top with a flamed maple center plate, the back is honduras mahogony. 35" scale maple/bubinga neck with a pau ferro fingerboard. Pups are Aero's, passive, Gotoh tuners, not sure what the bridge is but it looks like a Gotoh.

You know, I love Roscoe's and Elricks and Stambaughs and Beneventes and Valenti's, they are just beautiful basses, and I wish I had unlimited finds and space to put at least one of each of them in my hands. But FBB is just knocking me out, these basses are simply outstanding, so all of the others will have to wait until my FBB fix is completely cured :D

BTW, a huge thumbs-up to Blisshead for being a total stand-up cat in this deal ..... Josh, it's a pleasure to work with you ... :cool:

2. Looks good! Congrats!

3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That will never happen! ;) :) Congrats on the new FBB!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool, All the best with it Ed. :bassist:

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Describe the tone!

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Well, having only had it for less than a day I don't assume this to be 100% accurate, but ........

FBB's generally have more of an earthy tone, leaning more towards warm sounding as compared to "modern". That said, this bass has a nice hard punch to it, very crisp and clean (and none too forgiving if you hit some crappy notes), really a very cool passive tone. I'll be putting 1/2 rounds on it soon, that'll likely change the tone somewhat.

The Aero pups are clean and sharp, very nice tone definition. The bass is Vol, Vol, Tone, reasonable roll-off from highs to lows. I'll be playing it in a live setting on Saturday though a full rig with a power fusion trio ..... more details to come soon ... :cool:

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Well, I used the bass exclusively on the New Years Eve gig, which gave it a solid workout. It passed the test, no problems .... :D

My primary band is a power fusion trio doing a lot of unison-intensive licks from bands like Tribal Tech, Weather Report, Jeff Beck, so the clarity and responsiveness from the bass is very important to me. The thing I like the most about the FBB stuff is the cleanliness of the tone .... the basses give you the sound you hear when playing them unplugged, any coloring is done by the amp and your own technique.

I generally use either flatwounds or 1/2 rounds on my basses. I'm not 100% sure what strings are on this bass (kind of feel like SIT's) but they're a little too metallic sounding for me. I need to change them out this week, for sure.

The bass is very clean and crisp ..... each note is well defined and solid, the B is phenominal, just like my FBB 6. The action is quite low, so when hitting hard you can get a tiny bit of pup-smacking noise. Despite the low action, there is no noticible fret buzz anywhere.

The neck has some bulk to it, but just like my 6 it feels amazing. These are the most comfortable necks I've ever played ....

I've never used Aero pups before, and I'm liking them quite a bit. Also very clean sounding and with a great punch, the lows are like a blow to your chest. Sweet ..... ;)

I'll be making some minor changes to the set up this week, but overall the bass is incredible :bassist: I am a bonafide FBB-aholic ...... :cool:

New dates are being set up right now for the next few months, once I have firm dates and venues I'll post up some gig-spam so you guys can come check out these FBB's .....

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Nice, got a six string comming later on this month. I cant wait, I've heard so many positive things about these basses that I just had to get one. Matts a great guy also.

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Great! Did you order a full custom, or are you getting one of his "in progress" basses? Matt's got some cool deals on some of the inventory stuff ...... :cool:

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah i have heard those Aeros are very natural , glad to hear it is working out for you Ed. :bassist:

11. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I was really surprised at how extremely clean the Aero's are, never really knew too much about them. The bass originally had EMG's when it was built, somewhere along the line they were switched out to the Aero's (not sure if the switch was made by Josh/Blisshead or not). I'm not an EMG fan, actually always liked bart's the best, but if these pups are any indication of what most Aero's are like I may be changing out some of the other basses .... :cool:

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Congrats on the new-to-you FBB! I just recently placed a custom order with Matt, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. He has put a spot on his "projects" page for it (#1111-05) but there are no photos up yet. :(

Here's the specs:
    4 string fretted, 32" scale
    Morado top, chambered spruce core, morado back
    Jive Bass body
    One piece maple neck with morado neck cap on through-body portion
    Morado headstock veneer
    Grenadillo fingerboard with canarywood neck step laminate
    Bartolini M34CB in bridge, M34M in neck
    Audere Z-Mode preamp

And Matt has been super-awesomely helpful and communicative throughout the decision-making process.

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I thought about changing out the Barts in my (former :() FBB for Aeros, as I prefer their sound. I have the feeling your 5 string jazz bass needs are covered now. That is one killer bass without a doubt...at a steal of a price!

Enjoy,
    Marshall

14. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Ya know, Marshall, it's because of you that I ended up with this bass .... when you had yours up for sale you seriously weakened my resolve, so when Josh came up with this trade idea I was easy pickin's for him ..... :eek:

In retrospect, I guess I owe you a huge favor ;)

15. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Cool, I'll keep an eye out for progress pics :D

16. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Don't mean to drag this thread on forever, but this bass is a major league a**-kicker :eek: :bassist: :D Absolutely the cleanest sounding, punchiest gut pounder I have ever played ... :cool:

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Very cool Ed! I hope I get a chance to take it for a spin sometime.

18. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    pointbass- I ordered the actually completed six string birds-eye from the inventory page. I had matt change a few things, now it has a curly maple and ebony fingerboard laminate(beautiful!!!), a walnut pickguard, all back hardware to replace the chrome, an abm bridge with the strings through the body, hipshot ultralites and a refinishing in tung oil I belive. the Bartolini pups and Aggie OBP-3 was standard

19. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I guess the LeCompte was not enough for you Lo-end. We really have to make some time to hook up so I can try out your lovely collection. And maybe I can sway you into picking up a TBC!!!!

Nice bass BTW pointbass. I still remember when you got rid of your Brice 6. I was real close to getting it from you but I had other pressing needs at the time. I always have enjoyed your taste in basses.

20. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Robear22-Nah!!!, the LeCompte is probably the most amazing bass I have ever owned, even more than my 535!! I'm having Bud build me another right now but the specs are top secret. ;) . I'm probably gonna trade my 535 for a 635 as soon as I find a taker, It'll be the last 5 to leave my collection then it's all sixes from there. I've also been talking to matt about building me a 7 string. I just love basses man. I'm really gassin' for an Elrick 6 or 7 though, THAT would REALLY float my boat. If I ever buy another five It'll be TBC MM and....oh yeah, I LOVE the pickguard. ;)