FBB whoohooo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xush, Jul 4, 2002.

1. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

more pics/specs of my FBB

Received my new FBB 'signature custom' model today. Preliminary analysis: AWESOME!
    This is IT. I wasn't sure how going the custom route would turn out; it's definitely a leap of faith when getting the specs together. Matt came thru though!

I based alot of the details on the Conklin GT7f I had for a while; I just decided to downsize it and concentrate on some basics. Very happy with the outcome.

Hoping to post some audio samples soonish...
    I will say this: This bass matches any high-end handmade specimen I've played so-far. Matt's work is impeccable! I love the aesthetics, and the workmanship is meticulously executed.
    Check him out while he's affordable!
  2. That, sir, is a bitchin' bass. I've never been too keen on the Lupus body shape, but that one is truly the bomb. The Alembic-style headstock is a nice touch, too.

What's the pickup switching setup? I bet that thing has a million tones under the hood.
  3. Gee.. I would be afraid that one day you'll be playing and just getting in the groove and Bam! that weak looking arm falls off?
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Heh! Here we go with the 'what if the horn snaps off' paranoia again. :) The bass in my avatar has survived my abuse, I don't think this one will be a concern either. What do you guys do to your basses?!! ;-)

Peter, my fellow FBB compatriot;
    first, thanks for the compliments. Matt did a great job. I think I predict another FBB down the line...

I can't get over the tones lurking in this sucker!
    It just rendered at least 6 or 7 of my basses redundant!

it's got:
    main vol, push/pull active/passv.
    variable mid eq 3- way mini-switch
    mid eq
    concentric bass/treble eq
    blend neck and middle p'up
    blend treble p'up and signal from the other blend

rather than say it can cop the J, Ric, MM, & Alembic tones I was looking for, I'll try to do some clips soon and be more objective.
    I'm sure it's not everyone's beverage of choice, but I am supremely satisfied!
    dang that wenge is tasty.
  5. Because as we all know, there are hundreds--no, THOUSANDS of amputee Pedulla MVPs and Buzzes sitting in their cases, weeping for America.

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    FBBs are hit and miss asthetically, to me. Some really make me want one. Others make me wonder what's in his water. Overall, though, I really like Matt Schmills work.

Cool beans there Xush.

I really like to wood grain and killer electronics!
  7. If I were going to go with a three-pickup bass, it'd probably have a ridiculous electronics setup--individual preamps with BT controls, volume pots after the preamp, and on/off/phase-reverse switches a la the Jazzmaster and Jaguar.

Whoa. I just got an idea.

8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I like the two blend pot idea. Maybe Fender should do that with strats (or would that be too complex for guitar players?)
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very nice. I dig the three pickups. Looks like a serious workhorse you've got there.

Is that a walnut facing on top? And, a wenge fretboard?
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    You are correct sir.
    I set up a little spec/pic page for it, the link is just below the pic above...

eh, why scroll? sorry:
    more pics/specs of my FBB
  11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

nicest FBB i've ever seen!!!

12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Nice bass! I like the three-pickup setup w/ two blends, too. I was sitting here thinking, "hmm, now how does that work out? .... " then I relized *duh* it's just like mine w/ the piezo/mag blend. Blend for the front two, blend for that plus the third.

With the wenge neck/fb and those single-coil Barts I bet it growls like crazy!
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, given that GINORMOUS stable of yours...which ones have become redundant?
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    great looking bass man. i especially love the neck - it seems so...uh...familiar....

:D :p
  15. aqatc

Jul 4, 2002
    USA, Milpitas, CA
    Whoever said that the arm might fall off, obviously hasn't seen a Parker fly bass, it's arms are like half as wide as that. any way, thats one sick ass weapon you got there.:cool:
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Beautiful bass; I really like the horns. But a quick question:

What's the deal with the knobs? You've got four bunched up in one spot, and then the concentric knob just campin' out further down all by itself. Don't you find yourself a little cramped concerning those first knobs? I mean, there's lots of room, I just thought a little more spread out would look more even.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bass. Just a friendly question. :)
  17. well its definatly not something i'd order :)
    But i hope that she makes you happy! :D

18. I am neither Matt Schmill nor xush, but I think I can see the logic behind this:

The four controls bunched up in one spot are the serious tone-shapers, whereas the bass/treble stack is merely a quick-fix EQ. Therefore, for quick tone changes it makes sense to have the BT stack separated from the rest of the controls.
  19. Wow, that body shape is really growing on me. Very nice!

FBBs have pretty chunky necks, don't they?
  20. Yep--big, fat, and asymmetric. VERY comfortable.