FBB ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Apr 28, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    Anyone here have a FBB custom bass??
    Just wondering because i am definately getting one,
    im just in the process of deciding on my specs - im sooooo indecisive! :)
  2. Peter McFerrin has one that I know he LOVES.Years in the future, when I am good enough, I plan on getting one myself.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Xush also has an FBB...a very nice fretless 5, and has another in the works, I believe a fretted 4. What I've seen of them I have REALLY liked the FBBs.
  4. I do have an FBB, and it is a wonderful bass, but I doubt that too many FBBs sound like it because of the woods, pickups, and pickup placement used. The nice thing about working with Matt Schmill, though, is that while he lets you have a hand in the design, he knows enough about wood and ergonomics to tell you if a certain idea just isn't going to work.

My bass is probably the worst-balancing bass he's built, because it has a small body with an upper horn that only goes to the 13th fret and a really, really thick neck. However, I wear my bass high enough that it really doesn't matter. The nice thing about Matt's "Player" design is that the balance is perfect.

Matt also has a wonderful visual style, IMO, but it's not for everyone. If you're into pointy heavy metal basses, look elsewhere; if you like Warwick, Jerzy Drozd, Carl Thompson, etc., you've found your man.