1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FBI Moneypak Ransom Virus

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paste, Oct 11, 2013.

1. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Holy mother of bejebus. So this is the first time I have almost fell for a ransom ware virus and starting this thread just to give anyone who's not aware a heads up. I am quite young and "hip" with most and any scams out there but I was actually getting ready to go to my local 7-11 and go take out a $400 moneypak to pay this BS off. Admittedly, this was mostly out of panic and not thinking things thru before acting, which, thankfully I looked up what moneypak was before going to the store.

So what happened to me was I was browsing TB like usual when a screen popped up saying that FBI has shut and locked my computer down on charges of illegal downloading and copyrighted material from one or more websites. Okay...guilty as charged here, start freaking out a little bit...then I look on my left hand side and they have a ****ing picture of my face (which I later found out the ransom ware can hack into your webcam and take a photo of you) which absolutely sent me over the edge in panic mode. Here is something like what I saw, but not exactly (I cant find the exact pic of the one that popped up on my computer).

New-FBI-Moneypak121.

Okay so far:

-Legitimate looking FBI seal
    -Clean looking and organized page (often times scam pages are messy and cluttered)
    -Has a FREAKIN picture of my face
    -Step by step easy method of payment
    -Inability to do anything on my computer no matter how many times I shut it off
    -My IP address, or what I thought to be

So as I grab my wallet and I see my Itouch and research what the hell moneypak is since ive never heard of it and turns out this scam has been going around for a while. This is probably the most relieved I have been in my 19 years on this planet. Stay safe fellow Tbers.

Here's a link to more info
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidwi...-the-insidious-fbi-moneypak-ransomware-virus/

Edit: If I remember correctly, in my haze of panic, they were going to charge me with a bunch of BS I didn't really understand and file a suit on me or something... unless I paid the $400 fine within 7 days.

2. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I have not seen that one. The whole webcam thing is pretty creepy, they can take a photo of you and then steal your identity along with the $400. Glad i don't have a webcam.

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Tell then you'll send them a check for a thousand dollars but they have to cash it and send you back $600...

Good catch

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I wonder what kind of photos it has taken of others .

Could be embarrassing especially if you had to take the computer in to a shop.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    My dad got that on his computer. I got rid of it for him by running Malwarebytes in safe mode

6. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Oh, and this scam goes for pr0n too, just in case some of you guys are like whew, never downloaded illegal music before - safe. And yeah, the webcam/picture of my face was the straw that broke the camels back for me. In my head I was rationalizing who else besides the FBI could hack my webcam (lo' and behold viruses can do that these days.)

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    NEVER leave a webcam connected to your computer when you're not using it.

8. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Scamming the scammer. I like it :). But seriously, who gets this money anyways? From searching the webs a bit I learned lots of people actually paid up.

Wonder what your dad was looking at :p

Almost 100% of laptops these days come with built in webcams. Don't think ive seen a computer separate webcam in nearly half a decade.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For those folks who have the built in ones, put a piece of tape over it when not in use.

-Mike

10. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Great idea. Knowing that there are programs out there that can hack webcams, real life people with decent hacking/programing skills can probably easily pull it off. But I doubt anyone would want to spy on me anyways.

11. That's a good one! Woulda caught me off guard!

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You can call me a conspiracy freak all you want, but everything that has a built-in webcam always has a piece of tape or postit note over it. They can still listen if they want. There are some things I do on a separate computer that is not, never has been, and never will be connected to the internet.

13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    My laptop has a sliding cover over the webcam. I've never even used the cam, I tried once and it didn't work. Probably just need software, it's Linux.

14. Moron, the FBI isn't going to ask you for a Moneypak - no federal agency is. Either you send them the money in cash, check, credit/debit card info, or they take it out of your taxes.

Secondly, if it's worth hijacking your computer (which is technically illegal, even for the feds), they will just send an agent to your door.

Civilians.

Peace,
    Greg

15. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    This is completely irrelevant. Just do this:

You need to protect yourself with this whole internet thing. And I hope you secure your networks.

16. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Interesting. I never thought of putting a piece of tape over the webcam when not in use. I'm guessing this could apply to Macs as well?

17. bassplace

bassplace

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Seriously, the government takes our money many ways but not by ransom.

18. Yes but I would never EVER do it because I don't want to deal with adhesive residue on the lens the next time I want to use skype. I tape a piece of paper over mine and the lens never gets residue on it.

19. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I work in IT and this may have worked on he early iterations of the fbi virus. The newer versions are much much smarter than just mal ware bytes. The newest one blocks safe mode as well.

20. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Yay Linux!