Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FCGC bass tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ozziemodo, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Anyone know what gauge strings I should use for drop C bass tuning (FCGC)?

I need this tuning for my band, and the strings go horribly floppy using standard gauge (GDAE) strings.

2. to avoid future confusion, string order goes from thickest to thinnest. you want to tune CGCF.

that said, just look for the heaviest set you can find. i saw a set of GHS boomers in a store once that had a .115 E. unfortunately i don't like GHS...

or, you could buy a 5-string set and throw away the G string.

or, you could not tune ridiculously low. ;)

3. 'bout to say. Has someone been reading Mudvayne interviews recently?

For that tuning, you'd probably want a 125 for the heaviest string and 90, 70, 50 for the other three.

So, you could just buy a light 5 string set and throw away the top string. 120, 100, 80, 60 would be OK

4. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Even easier:

At that tuning, you're most likely NOT getting many highs, even with roundwound strings. (Flop flop splat Fieldy plop) Try halfrounds. They sound a bit more dead, but they have more tension, and mine at least play great tuned CGCF.

5. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's how I tune. I use DR Hi-beams 105-85-65-45
    It doesn't feel too floppy, it's actually quite nice.

6. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I'm not into them either. I prefer Ernie Ball.

I tune in a simillar way - C#, G#, C#, F#. I had a problem in the studio with my frets (5-9) being out of tune on a recording. I talked to a few people and they all told me I needed heavier gauge strings for tuning that low.

I just had it re-setup with the EB Power Slinkys. They are 55, 75, 90, 110. I hope it works out better. It seems like going with a 5 string pack and dropping the G would be a little extreme.

I'm probably wrong though.

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I don't really think so. If you're playing in C#, you're one half-step away from B, which is what five-string sets are for. If you really like flop, go for it, but it seems kind of silly to me. Actually, it seems kind of silly to down-tune to C#, rather than BEAD or just getting a fiver, but that's just me.

8. no, that's a whole step away. using a 5 string set is a bad idea. a B string is not designed to be tuned higher than B. just find a heavy 4 string set.

9. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    :D

Good call DHC. It's late, and my brain was thinking he was tuning to Cb (which doesn't exist, as I'm sure you and most people whose brains function properly when they're awake are quite aware). Bleh. Anyway, sorry for that brain fart.

I do still think all that down-tuning is silly. It's all the guitarist's fault, I tells ya.

10. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Four-string sets aren't designed to be tuned lower than EADG! (i'm just joshin' ya)

The BIGGEST problem with putting a 5-sring set on that I see is the nut. The slots on the nut would probably be too small, and they wouldn't fit the bass the way they should at all.

--Matthew

11. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Nuts can usually be filed with very little effort. I say usually because you might have a brass nut, in which case, I don't know what to tell you.

12. I would personally use a 125 for the C for sure. I am about to go to C# G# C# F# for the dropped D half step down feel and I am going to use 125 or 130 for the bottom string. Now I am in standard drop D, DADG and prefer to use 55-110, but the D is a touch soft.

Mike