1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fclef basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anybody here have a Fclef Bass?
    I saw some clips on youtube.They seem really nice!

2. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I do not have an Fclef Bass, but I have noticed that they have the most impressive audio clip library on their website that I have ever seen a bass maker provide for prospective buyers to check out.

Not only do they have sound samples of all their models of basses, but they have clips of the basses at different settings and with different strings being played in different styles.

I browsed through most of the clips the other day.

Their sound clip library just SCREAMS that they are pleased with their basses and feel they have nothing to hide about them.

I wish all bass makers would take notice of this and do the same. This would particularly be helpful when trying to make decisions about woods and pickups.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I'm not sure if there is room on the market for even more J copies.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure we're a market that is possible to oversaturate with J bass copies. Just maybe though...

6. I just played one of these. Assuming I'm remembering the name right, they are identical to the Fodera NYC's (which are just rebranded FClef J's).

The passive tone sounded very good (Seymour Antiquities), but the active tone (not sure what pre... it was the standard F Clef) really made the instrument sound 'modern'. Nice instrument for the most part IMO.... big modern B string in active mode, and a more 'J on Steroids' type thing in active mode.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    My Lord they sound so good.

8. Yes, Their sound library is unbelievable and there is a italian bassist that I've never heard of before who totally kicks butt!
    I stumbled over Fclef when I saw a Marcus clip on youtube playing one of those basses.It sounded just like his trusty Fender but was a 5 string..

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They do sound really good.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I like them, though they have quite the hefty price tag...

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
  12. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I am not surprised that they sound so good. These guys work very closely with Fodera and seem to have the same care about quality. I have been working with them on a Yin Yang 4-string Monarch (they are also an authorized reseller for Fodera). They are really good people. Willing to spend the time to get things right...so I would say that there is always room in the market for a great sounding, hand-made bass backed by great people.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What exactly is their relationship with Fodera?

14. I really like the vintage 5 string ash /maple.Too bad they don't seem to offer split coil pickups though.
    The website says call for pricing does anybody know how much they are?

15. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I am not certain other than what they have told me. They work closely with them (at times including in the shop) and they cleraly sell Fodera basses in addition to their own. Obviously Fodera also approves of the relationship since there is a link to fClef from the Fodera website...

16. On their site where they have the MP3 soundsamples they have clips of a guy named Dino D'Autorio.
    I REALLY like the way he plays and the tune as well and of course his sound too.
    I'm very happy because I recently bought a Atelier Z bass that is really nice except it had the 60s pickup spacing so it was just a little off in the tone I was expecting to get from it.
    I took a chance and destroyed the resale value of my bass by routing out the back pickup cavity for the 70s position.
    I got lucky and now my bass sounds exactly like the vintage Fclef basses totally the Marcus Miller sound!
    So I'm personally not in the market for any bass anymore.I finally have a 5 string that sounds like my 74 Jazz.Took me forever.
    But if I didn't have the Z, the Fclef would be first on my list and based on the MP3 samples it sounds even better than a Celinder.I still don't know how they compare in price.

17. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    They may be nice guys, and I love their sound samples on their website, but I do wonder how these guys sell any basses.

They had a bass on their site that I wanted to buy. With credit card in hand, literally, I called a few times but no one picked up, and I couldn't leave a message because their voice mail box was full.

I decided to "email" them, which I hated to do because I worried the bass would be gone before they'd get back to me. When the message wasn't returned, I called again and this time talked to a live person.

That was March 4th.

I visited with a guy for about 3 or 4 minutes, who told me what I called for was sold, but they had another bass being made which was even closer to what I was looking for.

Then the guy told me he was just headed out the door and nicely asked me to send him an email. I did (it is still in my sent folder dated March 4).

They didn't get back to me. In fact, since March 4, 2008, I have emailed these guys 9 times, and have called them countless times. Usually their voice mail is full and I can't leave a message, but when I can, no one returned any of my voice mail messages.

Every once in awhile they answered their email, but each time they just told me that they would contact me on such a such a day, but those days all came and went without a word from them.

Meanwhile, they put another bass on their website that I am very keen to buy, depending on their price and some other things, but it doesn't matter... I can't get them to call me back.

I wrote them today and got an email saying they'd call me at 6:00 EST. I waited at home for an hour past that time and they never called.

It's hard to believe these guys are affiliated with Fodera. :-(

18. That's really bad.Customer service is such a big thing.Once word gets around that is really hard to undo.And this forum is really great for spreading the word ....good or bad.

19. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Rather, the Fclefs are rebranded NYCs

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Blems?

Thread Status: