Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fc's Bass Family Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Jun 12, 2004.

1. I've pretty much given up on saying that I'm done bass shopping, but here's most of what I've got right now. First, the five strings:

[​IMG]
    That's a Ken Lawrence Associate 5, a Tyler Standard 5, and a Nordstrand SC5.

Then we've got the fours:
    [​IMG]
    Lakland USA Joe Osborn and a Spector NS4CRFM.

I got the Lakland Osborn in June 2003, so that's my record holder, but the other ones all seem to have a pretty good chance of sticking around, especially the Tyler, which sounds monstrous in a track.

I also currently have a Yamaha TRB5P, one of the older ones with the circle Yamaha logo on the headstock, and a Fender Victor Bailey Jazz.

...yup.

2. Cool. I dig your Nord..very sexy. :cool:

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ahhh, sookie, sookie, nah.... :D
    SWEET, i hear those Tylers are huge sounding, gotta check one out ---
    those other two fivers just look like poser basses... :eek:

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    My thoughts exactly.

That Nord is :eek:

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SHWING! That Lawrence is smokin Jerome!

they all look great :bassist:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Love to Nordstrand and Lakland!

Im sure the Tyler is killer but I want to get this out of the way:

EWWWWWW Look at that headstock!

Ok folks, calm down. Its been said so lets move on. :D

I bet it sounds great.

Peace
    Nick

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that Ken Lawrence was SMOKING! i had a hard time talking myself out of not keeping that thing! light as a feather, resonant as anything! i gotta say, i love that ash body and the myrtle top was quite elegant....

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Wow! The KL and the Nord are awexome! Wicked knobs on the KL! I'm diggin' the Spector too. Can you buy those round Lakland birdges and have them installed on just about any bass? cause they make the bass SO much cooler looking!

9. Very nice, Funky! Love the KL and Nordie. One of the best fretless basses I have ever laid my hands on was a KL - stunning tone!

What happened to the Buckeye Fodera?

Jeff

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Love the KL, I have one very similar.

What's up with the Tyler bridge? Is it really hanging over the body at the end?

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You sold your Fodera and MTD? :confused:

12. Yup, sold the Fodera first, back to its original owner. I sold the MTD after I got the KL because I had more use for the KL's traditional tone. The Tyler's bridge is at the very end of the body--my left hand doesn't have to reach out as far, so I dig.

13. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Very nice Jer...I'm falling in love with the dark ebony top Nordie :eyebrow:

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Is it just me, or is the bridge really close to the edge of the body on that Tyler?

Nice basses though! Love that Ken Lawrence!

15. dmband908

dmband908

Mar 11, 2004
    USA
    Im starting a slight gas for nordstrand.

Thats a sweet bass! Nice fam funky!

Chris

16. Yup. You know the thing they say about gear and playing....

17. MTD Man

MTD Man

Jun 12, 2004
    USA
    Why did you sell the MTD? Purely a desire for new instruments or was it just not doing you?

Chris

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm just surprised. Those were two of the nicest models of their respective makers that I have seen. At least visually.

19. Yeah, no question about that. They also lived up to all the hype. But when I got the Tyler, the Fodera became redundant. The Tyler had the same really fat roundwound tone, with the added advantage of not attracting potential thieves. I mean, it basically looks like a Carvin knockoff, you know?

When I got the KL, I put it up against the 535 and the KL was more suitable for me. I LOVED the MTD for its looks and sound and playability, but I wasn't playing it out. So I went by the criteria of what I was actually using and made my decision accordingly.

Both the Tyler and the KL (along with my Osborn) were used extensively on a recent recording gig for a singer/songwriter out here. During the sessions, I ran each bass flat through an Eden WT330 going direct. We were at Bernie Grundman Mastering on Friday and he seemed pretty impressed with the bass sounds I was getting. I have to say that I'm also very happy with how my bass was represented on the record, so I think that I've made the right choices.

Mileage may vary and all that.

20. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    That's a great collection you have there :) Glad to hear that they're all being played... I don't quite understand the fellas who have like warehouse sized inventories at home. I feel sorry for those that end up being more of a spectacle than an instrument.

Maybe I'm just being jealous :D