Fdeck HP-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Is this HPF still available? I’ve read some great reviews about it.

Also, is this device battery-operated?

Thanks for all input!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  3. Thanks for this info, Stumbo!

I am interested in the Series 3. This device appears to be pretty straightforward, which I really like. How’s the learning curve? Do I pretty much hook it up and use those knobs to dial in the desired output/tone?

Thanks again!

P.S. does this device come with an AC power supply or do I have to order one? If I need to order one... from where?

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I have mine at 3oc for the hpf knob and 1oc for the level. Works great at make it a little clear and punchy.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    @fdeck

6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    My HPF3 runs on a regular Boss/One-Spot type 9V power supply (which you'll have to supply yourself). Can also run on a 9V battery.

For typical use (on a pedalboard or between your bass and amp), not much of a learning curve. Max volume is unity gain (no level change), so that's pretty simple. There's a switch to invert the phase (or is that the polarity?) of the signal, if you have issues with that.

Otherwise, plug in, start with the HPF dialed all the way down (35 Hz) and dial it up to taste.

jbybj likes this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Usually until the tone thins out and then back off a bit.

I suggest going FOH(wireless or long cord) and hear how your sit in mix during sound check before you finalize the HPF setting.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There is literally no learning curve to using this pedal. In fact, mine sits under my board and I generally only make adjustments in really terrible rooms and let it ride it out with the filter set to 35hz. I've been using it without break since 2012.

31HZ and Al Kraft like this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Zero learning curve.

Insert it in the signal path. Usually best to put it dead last most times. Turn the knob all the way up and play. Gradually turn the knob down while listening critically. At a certain point that’s usually somewhere between 35Hz and 60Hz, everything will suddenly start sounding clearer, punchier and bassier. That’s your sweet spot. Once you’ve found it, mark the dial location in case it accidentally gets changed. After that you can pretty much leave it where it is. A HPF is basically a set & forget device.

Al Kraft likes this.
  10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    As others have said, there is no learning curve. It will be obvious to you when you've got it set where it sounds right/best to you and/or eliminates a problem. I own two Series 3 boxes and always have one in my gig bag.

Stumbo likes this.