FEA DE-CL Comp LED thing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by yanaki, Feb 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. yanaki

yanaki

Apr 12, 2011
    LI, NY
    Hiya TB Compression heads,

I’m fairly new to setting my own compression. I’m hoping to get some feedback on an FEA DE-CL function that has me confused. (not hard to do)

It seems that, whether activated or not, the comp LED flashes in response to the
    level of input generated by my fingers. I’d expect that in active mode only.

My ears tell me the all the dial functions are working only when activated but when disengaged the comp LED continues to respond with the same intensity generated by any adjustments I make when was activated.

Is this normal? I would expect the comp LED to be off when not activated.

This occurs whether the limiter is on or off.
    The limiter LED seems to be functioning normally.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That’s normal.

3. yanaki

yanaki

Apr 12, 2011
    LI, NY
    Thanks much willsellout!
    Wonder why?.......I guess it's to let me know what to expect when I engage it.

willsellout likes this.
  4. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah I’m not sure but I know that all of their comps do that. But their LED’s don’t really indicate anything other than the threshold being reached.i think your right that it engages when the pedal is off just as a visual cue.

yanaki likes this.
  5. yanaki

yanaki

Apr 12, 2011
    LI, NY
    I'm just relieved it's not busted.

willsellout likes this.
  6. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The last thing I would worry about with an FEA pedal is it breaking. They are incredibly sturdy. The DE-CL is an awesome pedal too. Im currently on the waitlist for one.

superdick2112 and Mosfed like this.
  7. yanaki

yanaki

Apr 12, 2011
    LI, NY
    Still tweaking my preferred settings but I'm loving mine. If you have any experience with compression you'll have no problem. The only slight challenge is setting both thresholds to compliment each other.

8. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Like Willsellout said, all of the FEA comps operate that way. The compressor circuits are always running and the activate switch selects either the compressed signal or the signal at the input jack for output.

The main reason why I set them up this way was because of the switch limitations for the Dual-Band comps. The DB comps have two outputs that needed to be switched and I also needed to switch an indicator LED for status… that’s three switches of the three pole stomp switch. So there was no switch available to kill the input into the comp circuits.

Because of the switch limitation for a “True-Bypass” design (where the input is also disconnected) this “Direct-Bypass” (where the input is directly connected to the output, but the circuit stays active) offered a few benefits that I liked:

• Less pop when switching.
    • The opto cell is always being “warmed-up” in bypass.
    • No side-chain “shock” for when the comp is suddenly activated with an active signal present and no false compressing an input switching “pop”.

This seemed to work so well that I kept “direct-bypass” for the other compressor designs, even tho there was the ability to “true-bypass” with them.:thumbsup:

Thanks!
    -Frank

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021