Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fear Factory - "Archetype"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, May 20, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Okay, now that I've listened to this a few times, I gotta say:

Fear Factory is back, and better than every. They ditched the Digimortal sound, and harkened back to Demanufacture, but with better production values. It just sounds fuller, more menacing. How production can sound menacing, I don't know. Maybe I've read too many pretentious music reviews?

Obvious standouts are Slave Labor and Act of God. Everything else is really, really good, but not quite as Memorable. Cyberwaste is the "single" but still better than anything on Digimortal, and pretty much all of Obsolete.

Thoughts? I honestly think it might be their best album, if not a tie with Demanufacture. But if you pay attention, Wolbers has a really different style than Dino did. Burton's vocals and Raymonds drums are again the defining factors, but as a guitarst, Wolbers has more depth and variety than Dino did.

Thusly, I do like it verily.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would agree. It took me a few listens to appreciate it though. I listened to it in my car first, which was a mistake. I've since loaded it up on the mp3 player and listened to it at the gym through headphones with no distractions a few times and have come around to basically what you posted. I didn't win the golden ticket though.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Gah!! New Fear Factory!!!

*runs to closest record store*

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I was hesitant to buy this cd since I found out that Dino left. But I broke down and bought it a couple weeks ago. I think it is a phenominal cd. The production values are through the roof and the sound as tight and as brutal as ever.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    they have realized the error of their ways and made ammends.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. SMASH, you're right about your assessment of their albums sliding. Archetype rectifies that. It way rectifies that.

And Ben, you're a wee late on the boat there, I think it came out April 20th. I got it a fair bit ago, but I wanted to let it sink in, and see how it faired on repeated listens before I weighed in.