Fear, GAS, and the Why's of it all.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Nov 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I almost never get bass GAS. I get modding gas all the time and I'm constantly fiddling with the guts of instruments and pedals, but rarely gas for the basses themselves. Maybe it's because I'm super particular about the neck of a bass - more than practically any other part of it - and so when I look at pictures of basses, I tend to see them more as one might see a painting in a gallery than as something I'd want to just drop a ton of cash on.

Anyway, earlier today while I was wasting time at work ( :sleep: ) I was wandering around the Google image search function looking for ideas for a couple of mods I plan to do to one of my basses, and came across these two beauties:

27753159202_f637c3b362_b.jpg
    Franz "Sirius" Fretless 5

img_9045__warwickbirdie_editauto_med.jpg
    2006 Limited Edition Warwick Thumb "Dirty Blonde"

...and practically wet myself. lol. I think if I had the money, I'd buy either of these sight unseen. They're just so... BEAUTIFUL.

How many of you are comfortable just buying basses "willy-nilly" without having first played them? Did you have concerns or maybe experienced some buyer's remorse?

And for those of you who haven't ever done this before, what's stopped you? How close have you come to seriously considering it in the past?

2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, the first one doesn't set me off so much...too plain. But the second one. Hey been there. Had the GAS. Spent the money. No, not for a Warwick, but was an ESP B206sp spalted maple at Sam Ash for a killer price. Maybe I even did wet myself! I just couldn't resist a spalted top. HAD to own it. And in conclusion, let me remark that there is only ONE thing that sets me off MORE than a spalted top, and that is a burled top! Drool, drool! Shame on you posting this (even though it is missing a string or two).

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    lol! I have a hard enough time with 5er's, let alone a 6er.

Do you still own that ESP? Did you have any buyer's remorse?

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    JCooper likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

unlike bassbenj , i'm only interested in the fretless, but: i have no experience with a fiver! i love the "plain" aspect though = minimal(ism).

just me. :)

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Still got it and still love it. The spalted top on the ESP pretty much matches the spalted top on my Bass Mods 7 string which is why I got it so I could have a 6-string/7 string more or less matched pair.

Only complaint about the ESP is the weight. 12 lbs. Most of my basses are in the 10 Lbs range so it's not a huge step up. Got my ESP for $400 new and later found another ESP model (forget the number) but it's identical to mine only it has a mahogany body. But they charge MUCH more for that one, but the used one at GC was $600. I was tempted. I played it a bit and it was pretty much identical to mine except it didn't weigh like a dump truck. But in the end I backed off since $200 was kind of steep to just shave a few pounds though mahogany is one of my favorite tonewoods.

8. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I'll risk fifty bucks for a pedal that may or may not disappoint but not hundreds or thousands on an instrument. Before I bust out that kind of $$$ it's gotta be in my hands.

9. I bought an Epiphone Jack Casady in limited edition (as in limited to how many they can make) "Chicago Blue Pearl" sight unseen because 1.) Jack Casady had a lot to do with the design and didn't just lend his signature for the headstock and 2.) its drop-dead gorgeous. While I will agree that sound/tone is the bottom line, performing can at times be just as visual as sonic.
    20160527_202103.jpg

rockinrayduke likes this.
  10. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    I own 8 basses... of those, only 2 were played before being purchased.

For me, if you know the brand your purchasing is reputable then there is less of a concern and you can put a little more weight in reviews... or just take the chance and pray.

So far, every bass I've bought online has been great. Some have been moved along just because they were not used as much as I thought they would be. But that's on me, not the bass :).

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'm at the point where I've owned and/or played some of "the best." But what interests me most these days is "the rest."

I like quirky, odd, and sleeper basses that just never took off for some reason. That's where the fun and fascination is for me. Once you've got you main workhorse bass and it's alternate, it seems pointless to me to keep duplicating more of the same - unless there's just one iconic sound (e.g. a PB, JB, Ric, Beatle, etc.) that says it all to you.

12. I don't think I can ever GAS for a bass purely based on what it looks like. I have to hear it, I have to hold it in my hands and play it. If there is no way for me to play it, I need to hear some good FINGERSTYLE demos from talented players.

It might sound strange but I feel more comfortable playing a "humble" bass such as this.

7437_IMG_4220_3.jpg
    7437_IMG_4227_1.jpg

Ellery likes this.
  13. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I get GAS--but I can resist it...
    I like to get different stuff--but with what I do with bass I had one bass for years --an old EB-3copy--& I didn't get another until I tried fretless--now I'm good with that and unless I saw a variation of a fretless I didn't have I could probably resist it.
    My GAS is more for amps & pedals these days.

14. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    That's a humble bass? With that bridge and finish that thing is beautiful

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021