Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas/Beck Bogert Appice

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 19, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i've been beating my head open trying to find out who the band is during the car scene in F&LILV.

it sounded SO familiar.

killer bass line. spanky guitar intro.

i thought, who could play bass like that back then? Jack Bruce...unreleased Cream or sumpthin'.

found out, and smacked my forehead, that it was Beck, Bogert and Appice. the one Beck LP i never really listened to, other than Supersticious.

what a great rock intro.

and Tim's playing is outta SIGHT!!! i'm a BIG CACTUS fan!!!

rock's best right hand at that time!!!!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

fred - You're hitting on one of my fav bands of all time.

I saw a program where Alice Cooper said he was in the stage wing watching Cactus onstage as a third bill. Then he hears this voice behind him say, "These guys are the best band I've ever heard!"........Cooper turned around to see who said that and it was Jimi Hendrix.

Are you familiar with "Oleo" from the first Cactus album with the red cover ???

Bogert takes the solo on that song and just kills!!!!

I emailed him to ask what he used to get that outrageous overdriven sound on that song where you can hear the distortion kick in during his solo. He said it was a Mosrite Fuzz and two Fender Dual Showmans at max volume (I've been looking for a Mosrite Fuzz ever since).

I'd love to go to Bass Institute of Technology where Bogert is an instructor. But, at least he has instructional videos on rock vocals and bass playing.

"Greeze me down, Timmy!"

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

that first LP is a rock masterpiece.

CAn'T JuDGE a BoOk is Tim at his finest!!!!

I miss Rusty Day. and people say that Robert plant has the ulitmate rock voice.

listen to Restrictions and get back to me.

4. rickbass

I wasn't all that crazy about that last album......too polished for me, like the laid back "Alaska." Their send-up of Willie Dixon's "Evil" is a gem, though.

Rusty Day was with the Amboy Dukes before Cactus.......Jim McCarty learned how to play guitar at 199 mph from when he was with Mitch Ryder.

Too bad this "America's Led Zepplin" couldn't stay out of trouble and get the fame they really deserved. They out-heavied the heaviest, IMO.......at least when I saw them live once.
  5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    Restrictions too polished?!?!?!?!

hehe, that's just funny to me.

you's lucky rick...i never got the chance to see them. and i started seeing shows in 1970.

6. rickbass

It was a festival in St. Lou. Cactus just blew away everyone except The Stooges. A couple of years afterwards, our band was signed by Safety Pin Records, (yeah, a real "major" label) and I remembered Tim's set-up, so I asked for and got a Fender 400 PS for the tours. Do you think he could be heard with his rig??? :D :D

7. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    How Tim Bogert managed to avoid major fame as a bass player is beyond me! His tone is killer, his playing is stunning. Combined with his long time side kick, drum meister Carmine Appice, their grooving is like a nuclear reaction. Put those two in band with a killer vocalist and great guitarist and you have Cactus: a band that should have been a supergroup in the 1970s…

If that weren’t enough there was the collaboration with Jeff Beck, who was (and still is) one the best guitarist on the planet.

The other band he was noted for is Vanilla Fudge, which he and Carmine are still in. The Fudge is still a going concern with a 2005 tour in the works!

I would love “Oleo” or any of his master bass lines transcribed!
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Prior to opening this thread, I thought, "...man, RickBass was the Talk Bass authority on Tim Bogert".
    After opening, I see it was an 'older' thread & Rick did not disappoint.
    Thanks again, Rick & RIP, man.
  9. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Billy Sheehan has always cited Bogert as a major influence on
    his playing.
  10. hmm, couldn't find a Tim Bogert thread, this was the nearest.

just picked up Tim Bogert's "Backstage pass" instructional video for £1 at Soho Soundhouse- heads up for Londoners- they have about 10 left.
    apparently they also had a Steve Bailey vid for the same price but all copies have gone.

the quality is a bit ropey- my copy cuts out repeatedly at the beginning and the sound level varies, with a fair bit of hiss, but I'm not complaining at £1:D

very interesting video- and funny how much Billy Sheehan took from him- not only the raking technique, but also the stage moves- the hand in the air & pointing as seen in that Sheehan solo with Talas on his "On bass" vid.

he demonstrates tapping which is also very Billy Sheehan-esque- who was first in that area?
    Bogert shows much more theory knowledge than Sheehan does in his vids.

Bogert reminds me of Professor Denzil Dexter in the Fast Show ("the mind is a powerful tool...."):D

the video's only about 40min long, but lots of interesting info about effects- especially the use of delay to add notes.

also of note is him slapping on a P bass (with no added bridge pickup)
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Major Cactus Fan.
    Seen them in 1970, opened for Hendrix.
    On killer band.
    Tim had tone to die for.
    There first two LP are great.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw Cactus a lot back in the day, and saw BB&A a couple times...they seemed to play NYC a lot. I always loved Tim's playing! I just recently saw Fear & Loathing, but I recognized that bubbling nuclear reacter groove instantly :bassist: I met Tim last year out here, he was a great guy.....I also told him he was one of the reasons I play bass :cool:
  13. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can remember Cactus playing in the UK outdoors too. Around the same time Leslie West and Mountain were going.
    Very tight section those 2 - Appice did monster drumming and Tim was very much an equal. I always thought they were the US rhythm section of the day.
  14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    One of my favorite movies of all time.

I never knew who did that song...nor did I know anything about cactus. Sounds amazing, I'll definitely check them out. Slightly off-topic but Flea has a cool cameo appearance in the movie too...He plays the hippie eating the spilled acid of HST's shirt in the batroom. Wild stuff man. One of the funniest movies ever.
  15. Are you talking about "A Combination of the Two"?

Big Brother song

Not sure which driving scene you mean.
  16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    so...errr... what song was it? :hyper:
  17. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Lady, from the first BBA album.
  18. What car scene is it? There's a bunch of scenes in that movie when they're in a car: The opening scene, the closing scene going to the airport, and a bunch when they're just wheeling around Vegas. Great movie BTW, one of my all-time favorites.
  19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The guitarist from Cactus, Jim McCarthy is a Detroit Local who regularly shows up in Blues clubs around town. He recently played on a Detroit Blues compilation CD that is worth checking out with James Simonson on Bass (an excellent player), great stuff. I'm going to have to check out some Cactus.
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That's cool! I'm glad he's still giging, a hell of a player! I saw Carmine and Tim playing last year, and they still sounded great, but I know singer Rusty Day got killed in a drug deal gone bad.