Fear Of Flying

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Busker, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    No, not the Erica Jong novel.:p

I have an audition scheduled with a band that appears to be kind of a big deal. They do travel, and at least a little of the travel will involve flying.

I'm a white knuckle flier. Haven't been on an airplane in 18 years, never planned on flying again. I told the band member I'm in contact with about the white knuckle part, but I do want to go through with the audition. I never thought I'd be auditioning for a band like this, and of course I may not be what they are looking for. But just auditioning means I'll have a chance of getting the gig, no matter how small.

Any advice if I get the gig? Get smashed before getting on the plane?

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Heard of Valium?

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Xanax works too.

4. Hi.

I could go on and on about how safe flying is statistically, and I do know it wouldn't mean a rats behind to You ;).

Getting wasted isn't perhaps the best way to do it, nor is medication unless it's just a motion sickness prevention. Or for pressure equalization. Fortunately I don't have to fly that much as the pressure equalizing in my ears for some reason don't work, especially on the defunct one. Haven't been able to dive either (I'd love to though) for that exact same reason.

My advice would be to try flying beforehand to see what the recovery time would be. It's no use if You can be persuated to fly, but spend the next day unable to concentrate on anything. And I'm not kidding either, quite a few of the anxities take a long time to release even if the stimuli is already long gone.

Good luck with the audition, sounds like a grand opportunity.

Regards
    Sam

5. When i read the title i was a bit excited i thought it was to do with The White Lies (New band) who where origialy called Fear Of Flying :D

Maybe just get on the plane with your iPod on and go sleep once on the plane :)
    Be over before you know it...Well that is if you can just walk on the plane with no problem :)

6. Unfortunately fear of anything can be crippling, even more so when it's a requirement. This makes me remember the old t.v. show "The A Team" where the big tough guy, played by Mr. T., was afraid to fly. His teammates would slip him a mickey and put him on the plane. I agree with the previous poster. If flying causes you too much anxiety, you probably wouldn't recover enough to gig anyway.....but good luck, it does sound like a great opportunity.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Try taking some flying lessons. That cures many people of the fear of flying. Who knows, maybe you'll get to fly the band around...

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi,
    I have a similar issue. I leave for a fly date next week. I wouldn't recommend getting drunk, the hang over is not worth it. I use this stuff called Ativan(lorazepam). It works , you may want to look into it.

good luck with the audition!

9. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    I am fascinated by airplanes but I hate flying.

Average about 1 trip a year, each time it seems to get better.

What has helped is to learn about the mechanics and physics of airplanes and how they fly. I am not talking about being an aeronautical engineer, but getting a good armchair understanding of how the things work.

No booze or dope before flying, just an anti-motion sickness med (over the counter) and plenty of water.

The main thing that helps me is the moment you go thru security understand that you are now "in the system". To me that means I am a complete passenger, will do what I am told, will be pleasant and not freak out. Realize you have no control and let go, you will emerge from "the system" at your destinaton.

Being completely out of control is the hardest part, get your mind right on that aspect and it may get better.

10. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am the same when it comes to flying. A few years ago, I had to fly to Taiwan for work...24 hours of flight one way! I went to the doctor and told him and he prescribed Xanax and it worked wonders. Dont be afraid to do something like that, it really helped and I only used it to get on the planes.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I had the same problem when I joined my current band. We flew to some of our gigs, and I was terrified. We also drove to a lot of our gigs, and we wanted to kill each other by the end of a trip. Flying is by far the better way to go on a long trip. So I just sucked it up and got used to it. I still get a little nervous on takeoffs and landings, but flying itself isn't all that bad.

So when you sit on the plane about to take off and the fear wells in you, just remember that you could be in a van with 4 people who annoy you for 18 hours ;)

12. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I didnt fly for years. And the more i thought about flying the more anxiety i felt. But one day i said to myself that ive had enough of loosing gigs and holidays, so i finally got on that plane :) I was nervous as hell before doing it but soon found out that my my worst enemy was not the plane but my vivid brain. Your fantasy is always worse than reality. Its not going to be as bad as you think.

Years ago i tried valium but it did not work for me at all. I would recomend: be at the airport in good time, check in, find a good place to relax, eat some good food and have a couple of beer or some wine. You should of course not get drunk, but i would recomend some alcohol (at least the first time) It will help to make you change your fear thinking pattern. There is of course severlal opinions here...

Inside the plane you should sit by the window, and (very important!) look out the window during the flight. If you dont you tell yourself that theres something dangerous outside, and your (enemy) imagination will kick in.
    Sit back and enjoy your flight. Its really a fantastic thing to do.

If you drink some alcohol, maybe you should tell the band in advance that you are not an alcoholic but sometimes drink just a little before flying in order to ease your nerves. They will understand and you should not be ashamed of it.

Keep us updated.
    Good luck!

13. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    + 1 to Valium....I had that stuff once before getting some teeth pulled...I couldn't even write my name and I didn't have a care in the world....It's like "meh" in pill form. Someone could have told me we lost engines (if I was on a plane) and I wouldn't have given a crap.

Ohh btw DO NOT TAKE NyQuil...I tried that once (thinking I could just sleep through my flight and wake up in florida), took two doses right before baggage check (couldn't carry on because of the liquid BS). By the time I got in the plane and we started taxiing I was so nauseous from wanting to sleep but not being able to (moving around, security checks, taxiing, take off) that I had to use the barf bag mid take-off...and then of course without the NyQuil in me I couldn't sleep anyway.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's why I suggested flying lessons. Get to know how it works. You can get a "Discovery Flight" at most flight schools for about $50. Once you understand what is actually going on, you become much less apprehensive, since you now understand a bunch more.

My thing with flying commercial is resisting the urge to turn left as I get on the plane, and getting comfy in the pilot's seat...they don't tend to like that very much...:ninja: :D

15. [​IMG]

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you're obviously intoxicated, the chances are excellent they won't let you on the plane so, there's that.

If they do let you on, as has been mentioned, the low pressure low oxygen environment can bring on a hangover of biblical proportions.

Talk to your friendly neighborhood Dr. about some nice relaxant.

17. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I dont know that much about US but if European companies should start to deny enterance to every person that had some alcohol in theire blood, they would very soon be out of business.
    We are nor talkin about getting drunk here.

18. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I wouldnt recommend get drunk or intoxicated, if the air plane needs to have an emergency landing you will want to have all your senses working perfectly :)

Just try to enjoy the flight, carry your ipod , its a good way to distract yourself, and remember ALL flights have some bumps, so do not worry.

19. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Just pretend that you're in a bus.

And sit at or forward of the wings if you can, avoid the tail.

20. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    An ipod is really a usefull thing to have on a plane, but it works more or less valium..(if you are nervous) you use it to hide away from the situation you are in, and that can really make the whole thing worse, because you are really stuck :) Not even the sound of Marcus Miller will make a person who is afraid of flying, forget where he/she is. The best thing to do is to look the tiger straight in the eyes, then you will discover that it is a little cute cat :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021