1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part II)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flight120

flight120

Mar 10, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought of using this with electronic drums. This is going to be fun!

Tommy

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It has nothing to do with the speaker per se; the speaker can still only reproduce what it is capable of. Nothing has changed there: the speaker that has better broadband reproduction and excursion is still going to sound better and reproduce more of the fundamental and the overtones than the one that doesn't.

What it has to do with, is that a longer scale length allows a string to speak better for lower pitches, giving greater presentation up through the natural overtone series due to a better tension-to-pitch-to-mass relationship. There is more info on this in a tech lecture on the Novax (company that Dingwall liscenced fanned tech from) site if you care to google.

And you should hear this deep-tuned stuff on a 39.5" Knuckle QUAKE!

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Where did I mention Don was building it?:)

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    My bad. I was so blinded by your sig I had trouble reading anything else in the post ; }

5. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I thought you were psychic...

[sig fixed]

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1

If anyone just has to mess with a variable one, PM me and I'll send along a schematic for how I did it in my top box. Mine has held up fine to lots of abuse, but it also cost quite a bit to build. As usual, no free lunch today.:bawl:

Anyhow, I'm finding that the way this cab reacts to EQ seemingly makes a variable L-pad completely unneeded for my purposes. I put one in originally so I could test different 6s, but it does open up a real can o' worms IMO.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Don't worry folks - we'll probably be here all week. Jerry Seinfeld is overbooked ; }

8. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I don't think I've seen this addressed:

If the 6ND410 and the 15" KLLF are such a good match does the 6" really need an LPad?

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    They are a good match partly because of their quality output, and partly because I haven't found a good open-back small-format midrange driver that goes as high off-axis and still has the necessary sensitivity to keep up with the 3015LF's nominal 99 dB sensitivity. Covered, before - believe me ; }

This match when padded back allows those who want plenty of bright upper midrange (because EQ can make it sound dark too, already) while actually providing additional protection and distortion-free performance to the midrange driver as well - though the 18 Sound is amazingly resilient, tough.

10. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    What, no Jerry? I'm only here for the pie anyway though...:meh:

So I now have a working config for the 12/6 that I'm going to solder up and try on a gig tomorrow. It's a 2nd order LP that I had mocked up in SPICE a few days ago, and my existing 4th order LR high pass.

This all would cost more than many will want to spend though, so I intend to buy a bunch of cheaper components and see if I can match or better this one. I'll also need to borrow a few basses since my EUB and oddball fretlesses are probably not all that representative of the TB community.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Just give us nice flat reponse and summing across the entire polar, pie man!

12. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    When I get some time I will let you know. I am now back to working a string of 12 hour shifts up till the gig on Saturday. I do suspect that it goes lower and much louder in the lower ranges as well. Just never tried it standalone and now that the cabs are over the practice space, I can't get to them easily with my schedule.

On another note, would like to eventually go to a high-power stereo amp instead of bridging the lowend so as to have more control over the different 15's. Man, with this DSP I can do anything and in the past this would have inimidated me. Now I am relishing the control and the fun to be had tweaking.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Exhilarating, tisn't it? : } - not to mention the tonal and SPL benefits to be had. Previously I had that fun and improvement within the PA because most bass cabs suck for biamping anyway. Passinwind and I also use the SMS/DSPs for prototyping, testing, and general techie merit badges. But they are so easy to deal with someone should probably take away the merit badges ; }

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Been meaning to link this document for some time now, ever since I began researching an idea I had about incorporating CD horn compensation and padding/attenuation right into the values chosen for high pass filtering - to arrive at a lower parts count than otherwise and still have the benefits of Constant Directivity compensation. I've talkd about it and shown my home grown sims to Passinwind and Alex Claber for about a year or maybe more...

I more recently found this document by the very generous Wayne Parham of pi Speakers. He's a heavyweight who's taken this approach to a sophisticated level while I am just a guy who wondered if it was possible, and if so, how to achieve it. This should interest anyone who's serious about crossover stuff:

pi Speaker Crossover Document

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I assume that this would be for those who either knew they would be using one cab configuration only (like a 1212+6 by itself) and not for those looking for modularity along with the options of using one or the other or multiple cabs (unless they're willing to live with the different relative driver output levels -- unless both or all cabs are identical: driver & x-over wise).

16. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Glad to see Don has finally seen the light...now that I'm unemployed and don't have the money to spend like I did when I first asked him about it and he ignored me. :spit: :crying: :rolleyes:

17. nodestiny

nodestiny

May 11, 2009
    greenboy: Nice work man. Its good to see people actually WANT to help others! And the contributions to this thread from other members... its truly priceless.

I really love seeing the pics of other people's builds. Shows the creativity and dedication in the crowd.

Looks like Xover plans are on way from several users. I plan to build a variation of the 3-way 15/6 (though, I have my own cab plans under way) and start working on a crossover, hopefully have something together by the end of the month. Keep up the good work people!

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My J's & Godin's are at your disposal, naturally...

Will you still have the bi-amp inputs available on your 12/6 ? I'm still interested in hearing my pitifully underpowered (by fEarful standards) WT-800a driving that beast in bi-amp mode ...

19. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Hey Mal,

Thanks, and of course I will take you up on that at some point sooner than later. ;)

I'll have it wired for biamping on two cables at the Portland GTG this weekend. I'll also bring an external passive crossover box so we can try various single channel amps with it. If things go well today I'll be gigging at my usual Friday spot tonight with it as well.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'll try to get by this evening. Sit in opportunities late in the game ? If so I'll drag a bass and you can hear it from out front. If not I'll be content soaking up some of David's vino... Think I'm staring off over at The Mint. Paul LeStock is sitting in over there this evening with the upright guy from PDX so I think I'll catch a little of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.