1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part II)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Please quit with the bickering, people, otherwise the thread WILL be closed.

Discussion about the cabs is fine, negative comments about people's personal qualities are not - please, no more of this.

2. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Well I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of pimped-out fEARful cabs... and hearing some clips. I won't be starting mine until late spring or so it looks like, but I've found a Yamaha PB-1 and have my talons at the ready for a poweramp. :hyper:

3. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU

+1000

this thread has developed into a most useful DIY cab resource.
    Lot's to be learned...

4. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    And we move forward!

I personally look forward to getting into this and posting build pix. A friend of mine wants me to build him a couple of the 12-6 cabs, I want a 15-6. In the process I'll probably come up with some fun procedures to help make it a somewhat step-wise process. Maybe I can push my sched up a bit...

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sure would be nice. Some people don't have the confidence even after seeing how quickly the cabs have gone together here on the thread, by the people who have so graciously shared their progress in photos. I've gone after this cutkit thing several times now for that reason, but also because a few dados in the right places simplify things and tool quality and availability becomes a non-issue.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Thanks also, all, for the kind wishes. Right now my dad's pain management seems to be better so that at least is a relief.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, PASSIVE CROSSOVER DESIGNER also requires this - it's necessary if you are going to use a sim at all. Just as it is necessary to have proper T-S parameters to use WinISD Pro or whatever for its intended purpose.

The online crossover calculators like the one I linked earlier however do pretty well with minimal data - it's surprising how close they can come to what the more complex sims do. As always though, one can interpret the data on the driver sheets and get a good idea of possible crossover designs once one understands what they are really looking at...

[​IMG]

Ultimately, the tools are many, and intelligent use of them can get good results regardless of which are chosen.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thread closed until the mods and admins decide what to do about the incessant bickering that seems to haunt it.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The thread is now being reopened. Please do not respond to posts that seem to be picking or egging on a fight. If you emphatically disagree with something, I'd like to remind everyone that it's okay to post, "I respectfully and emphatically disagree. :)" (the smiley helps)

If the thread seems in danger of being derailed by sniping in the future, please report the post in question rather than responding. Because of the amount of attention this issue has received, the situation may be dealt with by the site admins rather than by the regular forum mods should the issues we've been trying to clear up arise again in the future.

Last, to the many of you who have contacted me via PM requesting that I reopen the thread, my apologies if I did not respond to each person individually. There were a lot of PMs, and I felt it would be pointless to respond when there was no answer of resolution to report. I apologize for the delay, but we wanted to try to handle the situation by committee and let everyone be heard. We've done that to the best of our ability.

Now, let's get back to the topic at hand. :)

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool, and thanks for your hard work.

On-topic: just got back from a friend's shop and I'm now looking at all the main panels for a 12/6. I had some leftover 3/4" 15 ply plywood which I adapted the plans for with a few minor tweaks (sorry Greenboy, but you knew someone was gonna do this...). So hopefully I will get started on a passive crossover design within about the next two weeks or so. :cool:

11. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
  12. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    Yes, nice to have the thread opened again. Now let's get back to building fEarful's. :)

Passinwind > very cool that you are designing a crossover. You are starting with one for the 12/6? Would you consider making a lo-pass for a single 3012lf too?

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yes. I'll order the 3012LF later today, and I already have a couple of 6ND410s on hand. As I said upthread, I will do some R&D with biamping via a very configurable digital crossover, then attempt to replicate something similar passively. That approach worked pretty well for my DIY 15/6/1 cab.

I still haven't decided what tweeter (if any) to use in this build. I probably will eventually use one of some sort though, since my electric upright and/or guitar synth both benefit greatly from having one.

As far as the dedicated lowpass, I typically build my crossovers in "halves" anyway (separate boards for high and low pass functions), so whatever I come up with should work OK for that.

14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Keeping an eye open for this x-over, cool man! :cool:

15. superblues

superblues Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    To the mods, thank you for re-opening this thread. I don't post often, but I've been following the fEarful threads daily for months.

To greenboy, thank you for giving your time and knowledge so freely here. I greatly appreciate all the work and effort you have put into these designs.

(looking forward to the DIY crossovers).

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks for reopening and thank you all (admins & mods) for your dedicated service to these forums.

17. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Great! The threads open again. Now lets get back to business. :)

My 15-6 is about done. Put it together and the plans were dead on. Kudos to Davio's excellent Sketchups as well. Ordered the drivers ( two 3015LF and a 6nD410) and should have them next week. Got the 3015's from www.speakerhardware.com and the price and service was exemplarly. OTOH, obtained the 6ND410 from www.loudspeakersplus.com and was not overly impressed. I had emailed previously questioning the price being slightly higher than US Speaker and was told to call for a discount. Called Thursday at noon and sorry, no discount. I was assured that it would be sent out that day and I ordered. Just got an email saying it shipped tonight. :mad:

Anyway, what to build for the second 15" only cab. I was considering the FearSub but there is only one drawing on the old thread and not complete plans. No Sketchup either which I find to be very helpful. Should I build the FearB or another 15-6 cab minus the mid? Kinda stuck here and I want to get these up and running for the 18th.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Just my personal preference, but I'd do the 15+6 without the 6.

19. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    +1

That's what I am doing.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The two cases are a bit different however. A 6ND410 padded 0 dB to -2dB (parity) can probably hang with two 3012LF right up to the top.

But with two 3015LF and a 6ND410 and using passive crossover one either has to pad the 3015LF section back, and also realize that if you have say 1000 watts that the 6ND410 won't be able to hang with the 3015LF section right to the top.

In practice that isn't necessarily a problem - when you want more than one 3015LF driven fully, it's probably big big bass you are after and not more midrange. If you do want more midrange though because you are really using a megawat or so the facts of life remain that you need another midrange driver. Simple enough I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.