1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part III) Getting Green!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I drive a 12/6 with about 300 watts. I guess we're not a very loud band but it feels like I could definitely get more if I wanted it. The 15/6 is significantly more sensitive than the 12 so I wouldn't worry about running a fearful with any of these 500 watt @ 4 ohm micro heads, YMMV.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The cab just seems to laugh off big amounts of power, so I'd personally go bigger just on general principles. Ken has it just about pegged, I think. But as I said, I could really gig happily with most any of the newer micro class amps. And I really dug the Shuttle a lot. :cool:

3. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Ooh! Tel me how your ABI sounds into it. I'm looking at Alex's Barefaced cabs, which are similar.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    There is no "too little" - the drivers have high sensitivity, and one can always pad the midrange cone back less than the 3dB I recommend if they want a brighter voicing and even more sensitivity in that region. But I find that the recommended padding is optimum for more needs, and then boosting upper mid EQ if one wants brightness.

Thing is, both drivers are capable of gracefully dealing with way more power than their thermal ratings in terms of excursion and shorter bursts so using way more power allows the dynamic range of a bass to be more faithfully reproduced. The 3015LF is one of the first suitable woofers for bass guitar use where the thermal rating is lower than what is practical mechanically. No punch is getting lost relative to "normal bass cabs" which are excursion-limited in comparison.

15/6 can easily be driven by megawatt amps and still have a better safety factor than a lot of 410 cabs if you downtune or like some meat down below. But somewhere in between 500 watts and 1000 I think is the practical place to shoot for if one wants to eke available SPL without overbuying.

EDIT: And as always, biamping is a great way to travel with this type of cab - it really makes some big SPL with enhanced clarity. So few bass cab combinations do well with biamping - but this ain't one of them!

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Having just purchased a Carvin BX1200, everytime I read something about the fEarful 15/6, it makes me GAS more than just about any other piece of bass gear ever has.

Just looking at specs alone, the 3015LF is a speaker that's been a long time coming. The fEarful 15/6 is the only thing on my wish list. You are evil greenboy...just plain evil (in a good way ;)).

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey, thanks for linking! I just love looking at the way these things go together, and seeing all that "Holey Bracing" ; }

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, maybe I could tempt you with a couple of 12/6, or a 1212/6 ; }

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Tempting yes...but the thought of two 15/6 cabs makes me drool.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Stop meandering! ; } Actually Alex is playing 36" scale if I recall. His first and perhaps most personally-targeted design*, the Big One will be the best of all worlds for anyone playing a longer scale length bass who wants both girth and articulate clarity. Big One and fEarful are very much designed around the same tonal ideal and the same capabilities.

* Unlike Alex, I just design what I want to hear for lower-tuned basses and for frequently no PA support. He's done designs for other profiles too, but I stopped the moment I got it right for me ; }

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    In spite of never needing the full capability of a dual 15/6 set-up, using a lot of watts and two 3015LF and a single midrange (and tweet) sure took it to another plateau. Going for two full 15/6 biamped would make me examine my current earplug choice ; }

11. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    :D

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Aw shucks...it ain't 'cause I need it.

It's just because I can. :D

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Likewise for this:

[​IMG]

Realistically, if I built this extreme MF/HF combination into a fEarful 15/6 spinoff, it would need to be ~36" tall. If I put them into a separate enclosure it would need to be about 10 rack spaces tall and wide (17.5" x 20") and at at least 8" depth. And to really Kick Out The Jams I'd want at least two and maybe three 3015LF under the MF/HF stuff ; }

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    :D Now you're talkin'!!!

15. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Greenboy, it looks like you're starting to design for installations.

16. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Who do YOU know wants to carry gear?

;)

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Last night I gave the Dayton waveguide that greenboy sent me a try on a country rock gig on my EUB. This is the 'mislabeled as 7 inches' 6" one, dunno if they're still even selling it. I used a BMS 4540ND driver on it, crossed at 3.4K or so. This is a great sounding combo! The horn flare is readily swappable for orientation too, which is kind of cool.

[​IMG]

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey, Greenboy/PW - do you guys think if you needed extra volume somewhere, that a 12/6 would add much volume stacked on top of a 15/6? I'm guessing not quite the 3db from extra speaker area, but extra wattage from paralleling at least.

Seems like it'd be really convenient to have a 12/6 and a 15/6 for moving purposes given how amazingly tiny the 12/6 is.

19. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Don't worry, I was convinced quite a while ago. Money is the only issue now; namely my lack of it :)

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yep, great little waveguide at 4 times the price. For those using 15/6 or stacked setups its hard to beat if you want the tighter vertical dispersion.

I don't know what Parts Express/Dayton is doing sending me a 6"x6" and sending xbassmanx a 7"x7" in roughly the same time period though - and they even deleted my comment on their site which priased the guide but mentioned the dimensional disparity. They never answered my direct and private queries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.