1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part III) Getting Green!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Iamp's EQ section should do really well I think. Wish they made a preamp, but I am sure 500w@8 should be fine with the huge dynamics available to the Iamp.

The Navigator tops my list of pre's - it's got its issues but, built in compressor, biamping, excellent eq, and so forth. I think it'd still be ideal to run a multieffects like a G-major or something for other effects.

2. I still dream of a 15/6/1 with a 2u space built into the top with the new Peavey light weight amp with my Line 6 X3 live to run it..................

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Ain't that the truth.

Glad for your leg work here (materials sourced, my fEaRB will be one of three produced), but I've been looking at MI capable subs - true subs - and the drivers are $700+ each. At that rate I might as well buy.

:D

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    A quickie: Is it practical to use 3/8" plywood for a bass cab, with sufficient bracing? Or does the bracing get to the point where it weighs more than just using 1/2" ply wood?

I'm thinking for an ultralight style cabinet.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It can be done, but it requires more test research, and is tougher building. And perhaps the gains are minimal because you'd practically have to use dense baltic birch versus using some of the light plywoods like what LDS is currently using.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    15/6 Woodpile!

[​IMG]

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Wooh - that do STACK UP, indeedy!

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yep. And my carpenter noted that they make a pretty pile...unfortunately, there they'll sit for the next 10+ days as he's going on vacation. We're on schedule for mid-august for him to deliver the box, screwed and glued, minus the back which will be screwed only. I will then go through and PL Premium the interior. From there, I should have a good time of finishing the exterior and doing all the installation work.

What does everyone say? Natural, stain, painted or duratex? If it goes duratex, I'll either do black with colored baffle or have some colored duratex made up.

While not exactly a budget build, doing it in parts will allow me to 'afford' to do it right.

9. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Mine is already stained a dark oak color and I don't care for it. I think I'm going to duratex it.

But I'm in no hurry as I haven't got my driver yet since I'm doing what you are doing and buying in parts so I can "afford" it :smug:

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I'm still thinking of wallpapering my 12/6. Maybe a circus theme or French provincial?

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Cosmetics are such a personal (and maybe a spiraling) thing. But I'm kind of into hogs that are "rat bikes". You know: flat primer on the tank and other body surfaces, but maybe some splashes of chrome or accent here and there to jump out atcha, though the first glances from across the street say 'unassuming'.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well, I'm not opposed to some flash, as my basses can attest. I've been working on the 'natural' idea, but to be honest, I'm not a 'natural' kind of guy for the most part. I was thinking it would be cool do do it in black then do the baffle a different color...red, or bright blue or something like that.

I haven't decided what to grille it yet with either. I like the look of the 'wide' custom grille at Reliable Hardware (63%) and its the same as is on my chrome grilled Berg HT115, but also would consider the circular speaker grilles that would cut weight and leave the baffle open.

I also like the idea of doing a nice oxblood red duratex...that would be pretty sweet looking.

I think a lot of it will depend upon how it looks and feels once its in my hands.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    [​IMG]

?

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I'm still thinking about how to build a lightweight but strong frame for Pet Screen and then doing a box paint or stain treatment around that. Originally I was going to draw a template for that frame but never felt I was on the best possible track. The Pet Screen itself is stronger than any grill cloth I've ever seen, but I'd like metal-gille driver protection without the weight or look.

[​IMG]

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    For her, perhaps, yes.

[​IMG]

For me? No. I'm even squeemish about putting that pattern up a second time ; }

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In an odd twist of fate, at one time she WAS my wallpaper. I even matched the turquoise of the background to make it all neat.

On topic though, It would be great to find a light weight yet strong mesh that also looked good. I dread building a nice light cab then weighing it down with a bunch of steel.

I'm also looking for the most flow-through...I know I probably wouldn't notice the difference, but this cab has so much attention to detail when it comes to the engineering, I hate to sacrifice on the details.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Those Pet Screen samples make it look a lot less flow-through and open than it actually is. And the stuff is not that stretchable past initial installation.

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    True, and it would probably make an easy project to make a light weight frame and install it cleanly...but I'm concerned that it'll look like I'm making a screen door.

19. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I'm going to pet screen mine - I don't gig and don't expect to, so...

I'm thinkin' 1/4" ply with bevelled perimeter. Likely black.

20. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Pet screen example from bfm forums.

petscreen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.