1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part III) Getting Green!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    ^ that pet screen actually looks nice. i was initially going to get a screen from mojo but i will look into this option. thanks

2. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    looks like it will cost 20 bucks and a real grill will cost about the same. I could get a charcoal pet screen from lowes for 15 but then it would look like a screen.

3. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Funny how this journey started out originally with pimping the Carvin PA cab Boutique 3-way 115 and 215 on a budget moving through the fEarful threads I-III up to Greenboy's mid horn option.

Ultimately, this is how I want my fEarful 15/6 to be....

Active class D 3-way, 700W-250W-100W Digisoft modules with DSP option.

Just plug into your custom pedal board with Carl Martin 3-band para EQ pre, EBS Valve drive, Bob the Blender, EBS Bassic IQ and Chorus out into your fEarfully Active and ready to go.

:bassist:

[​IMG]

Greenboy, dude, what have you done to me :rollno: :D :bag:

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No pedal board or rack for me...I'll take the passive cab and throw the head of my choice right up on top.

5. OldDogNewTrick: Is that a rendering of an existing cab or is that a plan for one you'll make?

6. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    C'mon - you need to 'Rasta-burst' your cab too.
    It's just crying out for it.

Cheers,
    Martin

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It's a Mackie 1530 powered cab. I've run my EUB through a pair a few times...and it was pretty danged good. :cool:

8. yeah that looks pretty sweet. Does it use the same drivers as a fEarful?

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Now, a man can't show up looking like a circus side show, can he? ;)

Actually the Rastaburst changes what I show up to shows wearing, etc. I mean it's got so much action and flash in itself that I look best on stage when I don't have much flash. This cab may need a touch of something flash, but I think keeping under control might be good!

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That Mackie features asymetrical horns with narrow vertical patterns, by the look of it. That means the mid and the HF sections are firing downward when the enclosures are mounted high; this is an approach a few companies are taking now for pole-mounted or suspended club mains. It allows content to travel relatively unobstructed with less reflection and without being soaked by bodies. When the cab is set directly on the floor though it's great for the shoes, but not much direct midrange and treble will be reaching the ears.

It's got different drivers of course, the woofer being reminiscient of BMS product or some 18 Sound.

11. xk49w

xk49w Supporting Member

It also features 96 lbs.

12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I think they were using RCF drivers, at least at one time. I almost always see these speakers hung, FWIW.

13. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    I don't know about that... at least the published horizontal and vertical polars dont show that.

No idea, RCF did belong at some time to the same group, but is now independent again, so could well be, but its not a given.

The HD1531 appears to be an upgraded "high definition" version of the Super Active SA 1530 and the prof series SR 1530 - I have not checked what exactly the difference is.

Maybe it does have something to do with their horn design - I do lack the knowledge to assess the validity of their claims.

Anyhow - this was not at all the point of my post .

I find the idea of an active class D / SMPS powered bi/tri amped fEarful for me personally a very desirable concept, since I do currently work with separates and kinda prefer a the flexibility of a modular concept.

Influences: TB raving about the Berg IP series, combined with GB's woofer + mid(Tweeter optional) = fullrange concept.

In no way did I wish to detract from GB's fEarfull design and imply that I would prefer the Mackie HD1531 instead.

[/rant] over...

ok, carry on... :p :bag:

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    fwiw; it appears all the mackie 1530 series are discontinued.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, it was just a casual look at the perspectived picture, and seeing that the molded dual waveguide was not concentric ; }

Upon spec sheet exam - the polars in particular - it appears what the geometry there is for, is to minimize the effect of vertical nulls at the crossover points.

That's all rather vague copy, but all the companies that are serious about taking the state of SR forward are big on measurement and analysis, and product-specific waveguides and DSP are a big part of that picture.

So do I. But finding plate modules that are cost effective AND high performance that also have good DSP interface was and is still the bottleneck.

The Berg IP series though, uses a plate amp/DSP assembly with some flaws (like preamp matching) and a poor interface for the casual user. It's 1980-style of programming at best when it comes to making use of the DSP, even clunky for OEM use let alone end-users who likely will not find it worthwhile to bludgeon their heads against.

If you did I certainly would not blame you. The upper echelon club PA stuff though not bass-guitar-specific is getting pretty sexy these days. It's good to be aware of what's going on and to make use of what can be applied. Don't feel apologetic about it : }

16. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    I just can't get into powered speakers, although I sure see the appeal for others. All those nice, expensive amps that could be running 4-5 of my systems, not just one. But monoblock rack mount amps in the right sizes aren't exactly everywhere either...:meh:

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I've had biamped powered enclosures in the past. Other minuses were sometimes the AC cable runs, and all the weight in one package instead of two (Class D largely negates the last though). But if one was getting appreciable performance gains from servo-looped driver feedback and DSP stuff that was product-specific that couldn't easily be achieved outboard I'd go there again if I was buying fresh.

18. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    At the least, I'd want the onboard DSP in any powered cab to be accessible for my own tweaks. What a surprise, eh? :p

19. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    there are several options I'm looking at.

B&O ICEpower
    , (GK-MB2, GB Shuttle (?))
    hypex (Philips), (Hevos)
    Powersoft Digimod (Tecamp Puma) with DSP option

Sofar the biggest obstacle to me was a purpose made SMPS.
    But nowadays, everybody overs them matching to their modules.

The prices are not so prohibitive anymore, just scroll down on the page of this Danish vendor for modules and SMPS(PFC)

Ok, inspite being touted by some as the best thing to hit the bass world EVER, the shortcomings of the Bergantino IP became quickly known - however its the implementation which is flawed, not the concept of an active, light weight, great sounding powered cab...

If I were gigging (as much as you guys) that's what I would want. Nothing wrong with going passive, powered with conventional heads or 19" racked gear either ;)

20. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    That Danish vendor has never answered my emails. A web search brings up lots of unpleasantness too.:meh:

As far as the Berg IP, I have the same amp module in my rig and have had no issues at all with using commercial preamps with it -- but as you know I build my own anyway though. The DSP is a royal pain, but I manage. Many better things are right around the corner, for cheap, so I'll just bide my time before I replace what I already have.;)

BTW, the Mackie 1530s are infamous for flameouts and mid driver failures. Again, nice concept, but maybe so-so implementation.

Anyhow, I have two rehearsal spaces and lots of gigs. If I had a powered cab it'd have to move all those places. As it is, I lug a 20 pound rack from place to place, and leave cabs in the rehearsal spaces. That modality just plain makes more sense to me, for my situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.