1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part IV) On with the Madness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe the 18 sound XD125 is one that is recommended, and also there's the Eminence ASD1001 + Pyle waveguide that Duke has put together.

edit: Be sure to ask Don for the fEarful spec'd crossover (~700hz) and build shape. Otherwise you'll get one of his designs, which while excellent, do not provide quite as much port area and are not quite as tall. Still a good design but at the same price I'd go with the fEarful :)

2. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I'm in a similar boat. What crossover frequency are you supposed to use for the tweeter? How much power can you push trough one of these 15/6/1's?

3. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    searchpic.

4. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Thank you for that but I have and read about 65% of the thread and didn't think anyone would mind responding to a quick question.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    When you get your new 15/6/1 they'll all be jealous~ you will get lots of questions about your cab and you can tell them to read the thread. lol

6. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Ok so it looks like 700-800 watts for a 15/6/1? One of my power amps can push 2000 watts bridged @ 4 ohms while the other pushes 1400 @ 4 ohms. Which would I be better off using? I'm running the Sansamp RBI (soon to be RBI + RPM) and a DBX 166A. I'm still not 100% on what the crossover for the tweeter is supposed to be.

7. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    I don't think there has really been discussion about HF xover points.
    I am using one of the generic crossovers in mine and it crosses the HF @ 2.5k (using the Eminence ADS1001 driver). To my ears if works just fine.

The 15/6/1 should be good to about 1000W @ 8ohms, so either amp you have should be good.

Maybe GB will pop in and let you know what he's crossing his headcase @.

8. Here's a link to the hi frequency crossover designed by Duke Lejeune specifically for the Eminence ASD1001 screwed to the JBL waveguide listed in the WIKI section (WIKI link is in Greenboy's sig.) It's being crossed at around 6 kHz.
    http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Duke_LeJeune_(AudioKinesis)_tweeter_crossover

Another hi freq driver and waveguide that has been suggested is the 18Sound XD 125 pictured here.
    http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/18sound_horns.html

9. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    It's all been covered. There's even a WIKI for it that's been linked too many times to count. Quick questions can get quick answers in the WIKI. dug dog has already pointed you in the right direction.

As xbassmanx has pointed out, a 15/6/1 is an 8 Ohm enclosure and either of your amps should be fine for it. Many are even using micro heads with 350-500W. As long as you aren't using ludicrous amounts of power beyond the physical capabilities of the woofer, you should be fine. The woofer specs are linked in the WIKI as well.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    OK - so I did a search. Read through the wiki. Didn't find the answer... can anyone advise me as to what the net internal volume of the 12+6 is ?

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    [FONT=&quot]Got a chance last night to play with full band and full volume (my practice volume is close to the same as stage volume), and I can honestly state that this is the best sounding cabinet I’ve ever played. First off, I can say that because it’s ‘even’ across the tonal spectrum, it changes how you feed it. In my case, I started with roughly what I normally pump into my cabs. I boost the low, leave the low mid flat and attenuate the high mid and highs considerably(Markbass LMII). I also roll off more high from my bass as well as boosting the low (OBP-1) a bit. Not so much with this cab. Because it has so much more low end presence than other cabs, I actually ended up using NO boost on my bass and while not centering the bass control found I needed WAY less to get even bigger, fuller tone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The mids and highs are much more present and glaringly NOT painful or grating. What this meant is that I could step on the highs a little less than I normally would to get more definition. In the end, what you get is a feeling of more. Richer tonal content, cleaner tone and at higher volume. By comparison, the cabs I had been using (admittedly not flat or even sounding) were a Berg HT115 with a Schroeder 1212 on top. The single 15/6 was as loud or louder with the same gain/master settings. Of course, as promised, the LMII spent the night trying to crawl forward and off the cab.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I’ve only had a chance to run the cab truly ‘centered’ with my amp was about 15 minutes on Sunday, and it really is as advertised (why shouldn’t it be…its not a commercial venture, so there’s no profit from exaggeration). I would have no hesitation using this cab to slap, tap, or otherwise play to the brighter side of things.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the band setting I regularly felt that my tone had more ‘substance’. For instance, when dropping out ‘dubwise’, upon coming back in, I didn’t need to lean into the note like I would have normally. The first note I hit for the night (being late from work, I set up as the band was already playing, and waited to ‘drop’ the first riddim on them), made EVERYONE turn and smile and give me a look of disbelief. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Note. I play a fanned 5’s, with 34-37” scale. The cab has NO problem with the lows and reproduction below E is clean and thanks to the fanning, the notes still even and precise. In other words, I find the notes below E to be even more useable. I’ve been feeling that the carpet is being pulled out from under me when pushing at stage volume and going below E, and have been wondering if a big part is limiting and headroom or if its cabinet mechanics. I can report that 50% was cab mechanics. I can still feel the limiting, and that again makes me strongly consider looking for a ~1Kw amp in the fairly near future. This cab feels like it would be happy eat plenty more power than the sub-400w I was feeding it last night.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Size and shape wise, the 15/6 stands the same height as my other 2 cab setup. That makes it…not a compact cab. But I would peg it as a sub-50 pound cabinet. With handle placement fairly high on the sides, it’s there’s not much bending and no strain in the move. It is wide enough that you may want to consider doorways carefully or you might rename it the ‘knucklebuster’. If I cared too much, I’d chose inset handles, as has been suggested. It fits comfortably upright in the back of my Honda Element, and could also fit sideways. Beyond small cars, I don’t see any transportation trouble with this cab. If you’re worried about your back, with the lifting, really you can keep your back straight when moving it, and it is a ‘one cab solution’ due to volume AND tone (something missing in lots of one cab solutions).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That said…I’m already salivating for a matching 15-sub. ;) [/FONT]

12. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Is the mid/high section on the 15/6/1 hot enough to support a 3015LF sub underneath and still get a balanced sound?

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think for most people it would be - last I recall the word was that you may want to move the crossover point up closer to 700/800hz for safety if you're driving two 15's really hard.

Based on the output of my fEarful I am positive I would be fine with just one 6nd410.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    This is a cab I really need! I need something for gigs where stage space is a premium.I recently got out an old Ampeg cab with a 15,10,and tweeter,and replaced the original 15 with an Eminence Kappalight,and it sounds wonderful! Just too damn heavy.This one you built looks like it would get the job done. Wanna build me one? :hyper:

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I actually had someone else build my box... ;) I live in a flat and have no room for power tools and neighbors who would probably complain. In the future, I hope to have a house with room for such things! All of the electronics, outfitting, finishing, etc. was done on my second floor porch or my livingroom!

If you are seriously interested, I highly suggest asking for someone local to you to do the build. It worked for me!

I actually like the spring-loaded handles. I have them on my Berg and never had a problem with them. Just wanted to warn folks who aren't used to full sized cabs! I've bruised plenty of knuckles with old racks and cabs... :bawl:

The inset handles aren't the most comfortable for me anyway...also, one of the things I didn't want is to sacrifice any internal volume at all if possible. I want the low end response and was very specific with Andy with my cab about making sure the internal volume was correct.

Even braced, I bet the cab will make a small amp jump...I'll probably end up with a velcro strap that 'harnesses the amp towards the back of the cab by way of the speaker cord. I sussed it out at rehearsal and I think it will work just fine. Part of the 'slide' is the duratex, which has less friction than carpet.

I'll be adding my 'rig' to the reggae thread...I'm out of town right now and with limited access...but have plenty to do...update my build wiki, do a 'real' review and such.

16. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I'm only speaking from my considerably underdeveloped understanding so please verify any of this before thinking too much of it. Your head is walking because of panel vibration, right? I'd imagine bracing the top panel should help...even with a light amp like yours. It's heavier than my MB2-500 which I haven't had any problems with on top of several cabs I've plugged it into. You've been all about making this cab the absolute best you could regardless of expense but you don't want to try reinforcing the top? :confused:

Something I've been considering for my head (since I always tilt my Tri112-L back on stage) is a piece of plywood to sit between the top of the cab and the bottom of the amp with holes cut for the head's rubber feet and a lip hanging down about 1/2" in front of the front edge of the top panel. Like so:

17. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    greenboy...check your PMs.

18. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I've been doing that but a couple times it has jumped and ended up against the wall the cab was tilted back on. I don't want it doing that and then falling off the side of the cab if I'm not paying attention. With this I could flip it around so the lip covered the controls of the head and slide it into the laptop compartment in my backpack along with the head so it's not an inconveniece or something extra I have to find a place for when packing my stuff.

19. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
  20. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    @Greenboy - sent it back! For some reason, I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. I play in a LOUD classic rock band and I used it on an outdoor gig when I recieved it with my Berg AE410. Simply put, I ran out of juice! After the first set, I hauled out my trusty MB LM Tube 800 and finished the gig with no problem. So I guess it would be more accurate to say it didn't have enough power to compete with the rest of the band! I am waiting for a GB Shuttle 9.0 to arrive as we speak. I know my experience doesn't match a lot of others here and after reading Ken's (Kjung) positive reviews, I sometimes wonder if I missed something. I also struggled with all the settings, especially on the gig. I may try one again one day!

On another topic, I am really wanting to build a couple of cabinets and have been following this thread with great interest. Off line, would you mind helping me understand the differences between these and the BFM cabinets?

Thanks!! :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.