1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part IV) On with the Madness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    offline? I would like to know the performance differences between fearful and BFM's too.

2. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    :D I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to notice that. I got bored today and found that girl's 3D model when browsing the 3D Warehouse for alternatives to Kurt. Add a Ric and she's good to go! I figured that some of the cabs were far enough away from Kurt that another model would be nice on the other side. If you go to my site and click on the picture it should direct you to the full-size version.

I was thinking about stacking up some of the cabs so that the comparison shot wasn't so wide and distant. Is that what you meant or do you mean additional comparison shots?

I've got another Q I'll PM you as it's in regards to your message.

3. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Ok. Gimme a couple minutes to dig everything back out.

4. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Greenboy,

I got my crossover parts today. Which I ordered before the latest revision of your crossover.

What were the issues addressed with the change? Should I go ahead and build?

5. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    That sound you heard was me exhaling. :D

6. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Ok, I'm with stupid.

Capacitors: polarized or not? I can't find anything indicating polarity.

7. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we have ignition.

Still work to do, and I decided pretty quickly that it needs a tweeter, but my new fEarful 12/6 sounds sweet!

Thanks Greenboy!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you don't want your micro amp to fall off of the fEarful, put one of these on top of it:

[​IMG]

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    This I can attest. From my limited time with mine, I can say it sounds fuller and richer than any cabs I've played in the past. Similar to when I first got my 400+ and said that the notes just sounded 'more' than with a solid state amp...which makes sense since harmonic content and distortion is part of the magic of a tube amp. I found myself wanting to hold more sustained notes and mute less than I normally do.

Heh. Not going to happen. But its fun to think of using an amp that weighs 2 or 3 times as much as this cab does. ;)

Its not so much that I don't want to try to reinforce the top, but it seems like a round-about way not to guarantee that it would make much difference (law of diminishing returns). It won't change the tone or sensitivity of the box noticeably, and that's a rather small panel, so I'm not sure that bracing is going to change the overall stiffness tremendously. If I were currently doing my build, it would be easy to cut and install an added brace, but seeing I don't have the tools to do so at my apartment, and that it would amount to a 'retrofit'...for what amounts to a non-aural annoyance, you can see where that's going.

If I can get the same effect with a tether that takes no retrofit and is really non-invasive, then, why not?

I do like your plan with the amp base though...of course, with the way that many people change amp heads and sizes, it may not be the most practical. even a simple single strip of wood that runs width-wise on the top of the cab that would catch/stop the feet (either front or back) if an amp was prone to crawl would do the trick.

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Put a granny mat folded in half on the cab.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    That would be like putting a burlap gown on a princess... :rollno:

And BTW, your photo is still gigantic...:atoz:

MM

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    those giant pics have made the thread wider than my screen.

13. Ditto.

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    hey, but, now we're on a new page: not too wide no-mo!

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    How dare you!! That amp is the greatest sounding SVT ever made!! OK, it has seen better days lookswise, but inside she purrs like a kitty. So I'm going to pretend that you didn't say that :spit:

BTW, what's with nobody using tube amps with these cabs? I used one on the prototype cab Duke LeJeune let me try out and it was amazing. 8 ohms might rule out SVT's but there are others out there. If it'll work with a 300w SS head, it'll work with a 300w tube head.

16. Absolutely !

Jimmy, don't you think a 15/6/1 (or a 1212/6/1) that is 26"W x 28"H, to accomodate tube heads from Ampeg, Fender, Sunn, Eden, Ashdown, etc. would be cool?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think it would be cool if it didn't change the sound. Seems like Greenie's got a good thing going as is, and I'd run it by him first before changing dimensions. Stackability is cool, but not at the expense of tone. It seems like stackability is often a driving force when people buy bass rigs, though, so maybe it would make it more attractive to tube amp buyers.

18. He's aware.

I'm not as technically proficient as many others here, but I believe the issue is volume (i.e., pressure) rather than specific dimensions, so it should be generally do-able by adjusting the depth.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm not either, so I'll wait till a ruling is handed down before commenting.

20. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    greenboy has talked about designing wider "tube format" versions of some of the cabs. I don't know if it's a priority for him or not right now. Even the widest fEarful cab (fE1515+66 @ 23.75") isn't really wide enough for most people to want to put a full-size tube head on top of. Although...two of them on their sides and stacked would be a pretty sick visual. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.