1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part IV) On with the Madness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Two of em in a vertical stack would be quite sweet looking, too...but I suck at drawing programs so you'll just have to imagine ;)

2. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    IMAG0007.

There's the crossover. I'll post images of the cab when I finish covering it; it looks pretty bad right now (my woodworking skills == not so great).

Next time (pretty convinced I'm going to build another, and sell the Acme), I think I'm going to get a cut kit or have someone build the box for me.

If I can get enough money together (possibly additionally funded by the sale of my Alembic F1-X and/or QSC PLX3402) that is.

3. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Okay, I've got it bad. Question for the peanut gallery: build another 12/6, or a 15/6?

I'm unlikely to use them together, but you never know. That smaller 12/6 is looking pretty good.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You know you'll be building both anyway :bassist:

I'd probably go for a matching stack first. You only think you don't want to use two of them together. With bass, bigger is better, and if one of them sounds great by itself, think how good two will sound!

5. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Do the resistors have to be the 50 watt versions? Would some 10 watt resistors work?

6. Excellent timing on the X-over, GB. I'll be taking delivery of 6ND410 sometime next week. (I found a contact at a customs brokerage house who'll import it for me so I don't have to pay UPS' obscene brokerage fee. Yay!)

Also, I'm quite pleased to find out that Parts Connexion is just 45 minutes down the road from me in Burlington Ontario, so I can source some stuff there without having to worry about the hassles of international shipping. (I thought we were supposed to have Free Trade with the USA? ;)) BTW, I'd be curious to know what kind of fees have been incurred by those of you in the US who've imported stuff from Parts Connexion.

For those who are interested, I wanted to find out how shipping would go with the Erse stuff, so I carted up the 2 coils and 2 caps. Total value of purchase is $46.27. Shipping by USPS Priority International is $28.43. Hmm... gonna have to do some looking around here in the Great White North. (Incidentally, the 2mH coil is out of stock at the moment.)

I'm getting pretty revved up to get rolling on this bad boy...

7. No response yet from B&C on my request for additional driver data. :meh:

8. My semi-informed guess is that it depends on how much power you plan to run through the cab. I suspect that the 50 watt resistors are spec'd so that you can run the cab to its full potential with gobs of power without frying anything.

How much power do you have?

9. nickademus

nickademus

Dec 14, 2008
    Cornwall. UK.
    Hi, i'm in the middle of building a fearFul 15/6 and reached the stage of how to do the crossover.

Building the cab was the easy bit for me but I am a complete novice with the crossover side of things so please excuse me if i am barking up the wrong tree here.

I've tried the cab with just the 3015lf fitted, the amp set flat and its close to the sound i want with just a bit too much high mid around 1k (which i can eq out with my bass mid control). The over all sound just lacks a bit of high end (as you'd expect with no mid).

I think i'm going to go with the Beyma 605nd mid.

So is it possible just to put a high pass filter on the mid driver
    and connect the woofer and mid drivers in series?

Would this give me a four ohm cab?

I realise the cab response would be far from flat but it might just be the sound i am looking for. Plus it would keep the cost down using less components.

10. nickademus

nickademus

Dec 14, 2008
    Cornwall. UK.
    Ok GB thanks, i get what you are saying.

Maybe i'm flogging a dead horse here but would you care to elaborate. I mean would this cab blow my amp up or would it just sound terrible.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Very cool!

I'll be looking forward to doing the crossover in the near future.

I too wouldn't sub for lower wattage resistors...one of the things we hate about production cabs is that they're almost always sacrificed in the component spec., and we see how that plays out on TB as people report smoke and such from there cabs. For a few dollars more you can guarantee that you have some peace of mind on the gig for years to come.

I would guess that with shipping all in all you're looking at around 100 bucks total for the crossover...and if you're ordering the L-pad components at the same time you'd save a bit overall on the shipping.

12. nickademus

nickademus

Dec 14, 2008
    Cornwall. UK.
    Thanks GB for your explanation i understand a little more now.;)

So now i look forward to a cheap but good crossover design for the 605nd. ;)

I'll try to get some pics up as soon as i can work out how to down size them.

13. For what it's worth, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to contribute to those "conversations", I DID get a lot out of reading your posts.

14. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks GreenBoy.

I have the 3015LF. I was about to pull the trigger on a 6ND410 last night, but I just cant pay $130 for a 6 inch speaker, and then 30 bucks for resistors to pad it's output.

$40 for an Alpha6a with no need for padding sounds very attractive, even if it lags behind slightly in the efficiency department.

I like to pull the mids out anyway, so I think the 3015LF/Alpha6a combo might work for me. I'm gonna try this. Any crossover ideas for this combo????

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom is but I believe you can get a 6md38 for around 78 bucks, which should be quite a bit superior to the Alpha 6a and a fair bit louder. I'm not sure about the 6PEV13 but it's similarly affordable and might work.

The 6A lags quite a bit behind the 3015LF IIRC, so might not be the best way to go.

I was able to get my 6nd410 for the same price as either the Beyma or B&C alternatives from Don @ LDS, so I went with that, but I believe either the B&C or Beyma mids will perform acceptably.

16. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    GB your crossover for the 15/6, does it have the midrange pad built in for the 6ND410, or is it a separate item ? As Burningskies mentioned I ordered parts for 2 crossover's and I think the total is around $193.44. That's not including shipping from parts connexion.Now all I need is WOOD & energy. For anybody wanting 3015lf's I purchased mine at beach audio for $129.99, which makes me upset that the 6ND410 that I just bought was the $5.00 more per speaker.

17. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    I am paying with PP so I have to wait till they package it up. Then their suppose to send me an invoice. Should be tomorrow and I had to get the 2.0mh coil from parts express.

In the new set of plans the bracing don't show the hole's. Do i put in bracing with or with out the holes ?

18. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    The holes are not necessary (in the plans you're looking at!), and frankly, I wish I had done the new plans.

Drilling all those holes is a big fat pain in the extremity.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Agreed. If you want cheap, there are plenty of cabs out there with piezos. They sound like crap, but they're out there. All I know, is if I were to take the trouble to build my own cab, I sure wouldn't stick some crap speakers in it.

20. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    I have seen testing on the 6MD38. That B&C is a pretty nice driver. I'd definitely consider using it. That 96 dB sensitivity rating is legit and the distortion numbers through the midrange are good.

Do you have a crossover schematic for a 6MD38/3015LF combo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.