1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part IV) On with the Madness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Don't worry, I'm not one of those bass players. ;)

2. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Don't look at me, I just do what greenboy tells me. :D

3. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Because I've seen driver testing for MANY speakers (I'm sure you have as well) over the past few years, and I know that some drivers are just not worth the cost. Not to say that the 18 Sound isn't worth the cost......THE BEST pro audio midrange test I've ever seen was an 18 Sound mid so I know they've done their homework. I just know that it's possible to build an amazing mid for way less than $130, so someone has had to have done it. We just have to find that needle in the hay stack.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Alpha6a does something WAY better than the 6ND410 because it's so much less efficient. It's a trade off. No driver can do everything perfect. The guys at Eminence aren't idiots. If they wanted the Alpha6a to hit 110dB's at 1 watt, they could have done it, but the driver would have to seriously suffer in another area of performance. Driver design is a balancing act.

And I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. ;)

Thanks for all of your work and time that you dedicated to this thread. :)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I tend to ignore price as an indicator of quality, and I'm quite willing to pay less for something that does the job for me as well as something that costs more. But if it costs more and I think I need it, I'm willing to pay. So if I thought the $135 18 Sound driver was the ticket, I would get it.

Fortunately for me, I'd want one that cuts off the highs at between 4-5k, so I could probably save some jack. I suppose I could cross it over to a tweeter at any point I wanted, and if it really worked for this cab better than anything else out there I would get it, but I'd be happy to get the Alpha 6a if the 18 Sound was overkill for my needs. I have a feeling I'd settle on some middle ground, though.

5. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi Greenies,

I added a redirection page in the wiki, which will help for copying and pasting fEarful's URL :
    http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Fearful

The "tm" in the name is encoding dependent and is somewhat hard to use.

Cheers,
    Nick
    :bassist:

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Also the variation in driver performance before and after break-in - although the T/S specs won't shift that much on a midrange I bet something changes in how the cone self-damps after it's been given some high power use.

Alex

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am really interested to hear about the real performance of the 6md38 :) Would be nice to save some cash.

Reminds me though, did someone find some reason why the 6PEV13 was unsuitable for midrange for bass? I can't recall if there was ever any discussion around that.

8. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a SoundEasy rig for a couple years now but my recession induced, financial dilemma doesn't allow.

Unfortunately, John Krutke (ZaphAudio) no longer does driver testing for the DIY community since he began designing his own drivers.

I didn't realize that Brandon (DriverVault) had done testing on the 6ND410. It would be nice to get some 6MD38 test data from him to have a comparison under the same testing conditions. While we were at it, we could send him a 3015LF as well. It would be nice to see the numbers on this driver.

9. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Eminence might not, but it seems that B&C does. If the 6MD38 is suitable (it appears to be), it would be nice to have this option for the 15/6. The savings by going this route would be in the ballpark of $80.

10. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    That's not all that bad. I'm waiting to build it when he's finished. :D

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree...many of us aren't audio hobbyists, and this is our first exposure to some of the topics, issues and science involved. Its been a great learning experience and has given me some interest and hope to do more in the future. Unfortunately most bass players are 'end users'.

Care to give any details on the hows and whys? I didn't notice until I got home and had a moment or to to scan the plans that the plans integrate the crossover (high-pass/low-pass) and L-pad in the same circuit.

Of course, the next thing I noticed with my limited understanding was the differences in component values which produce similar (but not the same values) as those of the basic 3.5db pad that I used...

See my comment above...it only just sifted through my thick head that you don't need to order build a pad to use this crossover. Shipping for Parts Connexion is fairly dear. I paid $27.25 for my 5 resistors, and then paid $15.00 shipping for regular US mail, which looked to be the cheapest they offered. Now, part of the problem is they don't assess the shipping when you place the order, but only after they've invoiced.

12. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    If the 6ND410 is what it takes to make this cab sound great, I have no problem paying for it. It's just that I ordered 2 of them. But I'll be happy when I can get the wood. I like to get the parts before I make the cab. Can't Waite to get started. If every thing works out. I'll sell my ElWhappo and Schroeder 310212 to cover expense's.

13. X Ray

X Ray

Aug 31, 2009
    Passinwind, is it necessary to use a tweeter with the 6MD38? The 6ND410 does have a rise in response that starts around 2000Hz, with a big peak centered around 4400Hz. Would the tweeter be used with the 6MD38 to give the impression of a similar "bright" top end? With further inspection of the response curves, I could see how the 6MD38 might appear to sound "dark" as compared to a 6ND410.

18 Sound 6ND410 (Rise in response shown in blue box)
    SPL_0_1m.

B&C 6MD38
    6MD38-8-FR.

14. What's going on? All of greenboy's posts have disappeared from this thread.

15. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    He probably has something earth-shaking in the works. I hope nothing bad happened.

16. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Yeah, but it's weird that all of his fEarful posts have disappeared.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    last acitivty 3:18 this morning, last post 10/12
    no ban or even any points showing

18. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Long shot. Any chance of this?

19. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Hrm...I had been wondering about exactly that lately. :(

20. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Wow! What's going on? I've been away for awhile and damn... Is this whole thing going to fall apart?

BTW. I finished the 1515/66 awhile ago and it's incredible!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.