1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part V) On with the Madness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    lovin' that 12/6/1; nice job!

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Is AcryTech the only source for DuraTex ? Seems inefficient to ship a gallon of stuff from Florida to Washington State ... not too mention that the freight cost is close to 50% of the cost of the product itself ...

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Thanks - either I pick the wrong days to attempt to order from those guys or they are perenially out of stock ... at least the roller grade stuff ...

5. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I got mine from speakerhardware.com. Maybe they should sell it in pints. I think that's about all it took for the 1212/6. I barely dented that gallon of black duratex. Maybe I can do the bed of my truck or something. :)

MX

6. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Great info greenboy, especially since I'm about to embark on a TL606 type build for use with a 3015. I haven't noticed any chuffing or other artifacts with the 3015-loaded Trace 1153 I've already got, but I'm also not pushing it at high-ish gig levels (yet). Some of my neighbors may beg to differ.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I ordered my roller grade Duratex from Acryltech and have only good things to say about it. Yes, I have enough for at least another cab (I did at least 3 coats to get what I wanted out of it).

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Btw, I wanted to toss this out there: I was totally wrong about the ~350w @ 8 ohms amps always being insufficient for me, with the 15/6. The Markbass F1 has plenty of volume and headroom to spare, for my needs. Kind of awesome.

I will say I have some doubts about the Shuttle being enough, based on my experiences with the Neopak. The Neopak, although a few fewer watts, absolutely did not have the gas to drive the 15/6 to a volume I like.

Anyone run a 6.0 with one yet?

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    ;)

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

I got an email from Leland indicating late January...

11. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I added my 12/6/1 to the fEarful wiki with some pictures of the insides and crossovers and a couple of the outside too.

And Greenboy , the tweeter I had before came out of my DR Bass 310 cab and I'm pretty sure it was a P Audio PHT407T. It has a 97db sensitivity so it works pretty well without much padding . I had an Eminence 3500hz highpass with it in my fEarful before I built Dukes highpass and added the waveguide . It's a good tweeter but doesn't really compare with the ASD1001S with the waveguide. If anyone wants it they can send me a PM and they can have it for shipping . It is much smoother than a Foster. This little cab kicks.

12. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Finished my biamp mod to the 1212/6. I decided to go with the simpler diagram using a single speakon and a 4PDT switch. I figured it would be better to have any additional complexity outside of the box, so I'll build a Y cable to convert the power amp outputs (each 2pole speakon) to a single 4pole speakon.

So far it appears to be working. The internal passive crossover still operates as before with the switch in the "passive" position. In the Biamp position, the woofers still are operated directly on +1/-1 and the midrange is quiet (it's on +2/-2). Now as soon as I get the speakon parts to build my Y cable, I'll be able to drive the midrange too.

MX

Attached Files:

13. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    The schematic.

Attached Files:

14. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Hey MX21,

Very tidy work on the input and switch. The wire labels are nice too. I'd love to have a 12/12/6 like yours, I'd think it would be the perfect cab for any gig I would do.

GB,

That board for the high pass is the Eminence board that I had in there for the P audio tweeter. I stripped off the caps and coils it came with and replaced them with Jantzen coils and Solen caps. I put the first coil in Dukes design where the overload bulb was and the rest where the Eminence components were.

I do have an Erse board for the low/mid crossover on the shelf below the woofer. Once I got the coils and caps I discoverd there was no way they would fit on the board, I didn't know they would be so big. The coil for the low part of the crossover is an Erse Super Q and it has brackets that you can just screw it down with so I mounted it and the capacitor for the low end off of the board . All have been mounted with hot glue. The rest of the coils are Jantzen and the caps 400 volt Solen except for one 250 volt Dayton.

I originally had the Himppe/Codger crossover but didn't like that it dropped the impedance below 8 ohms at certain frequecies so I switched to Passinwinds. It cost me some bucks but now if I have to use another cab with this one for bigger gigs I can with my LMII.

15. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    On my 12/6 page on the wiki. Check 'er out.

DSCN0853.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ostrich tolex? How sweet is that?

17. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Sweet enough that my wife lets it out in public. :)

18. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Twist my arm:

DSCN0834.

This isn't complete; I will update when everything is together.

19. Ain't nothin' quite as nice as the rich Corinthian leather! :cool:

Looks great!

20. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Now that I've done one in vinyl, I will probably do another in leather. Good to get my feet wet on the cheap stuff (1/2 off at JoAnne Fabrics!).

I have since covered the front of the shelf and port divider. Looks better than that dreadful black. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.