1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part V) On with the Madness!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Is your LDS 15/6 an exact build of GB's specs?

LDS definitely does quality work and I'm thinking of going with them for my GB fEarful... but I certainly want the real deal and not an interpretation.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The deal is that it seems like this box is thicker than others, since it has flatter and wider frequency reproduction. That means a lot of the low end roll off you're used to...doesn't happen. If you were looking for the low lows, you were probably having to boost those on your amp, and now you won't really need to.

And, yes, the GB designed crossover for the 15.6 crosses over pretty low, around 400hz, IIRC. But to my ears it sounds better than crossing over higher. I had done it at 800 originally and the lower point is definitely better to my ears. That little 18 sound speaker can take a lot of energy, and sounds good too. Also, keep in mind that that's the secret of good off axis response when you get out of the frequency basement.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only exceptions are he uses a cup type mid chamber, and my crossover is based on Passinwind's 700hzish crossover instead of Greenboy's (which was not out at the time), and he did not cut holes in the bracing. The bracing is all pretty much in the same spots.

You can request the exact design as well and he'll follow it.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I usually don't add lows since to get my tone... I cut highs and high-mids. Of course, that does in effect 'add lows' I guess. :ninja:

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Good to know... thanks.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I did both, now I only need to do one.

7. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Took the fEarful 12/6 out tonight. Short story... it rocks!

8. Hey guys:

With any luck, I'll be making noise with my 15/6/1 by the weekend. However, there are a couple of last minute details that I need help with.

1. Somehow, I have it in my head that we are to reduce the interior volume of the mid chamber with styrofoam or some other material. Is this correct, or did I dream it? (I'm not talking here about stuffing it with poly fill, which I know I have to do.)

2. I got looking through the WIKI and came across this image of BurningSkies' L Pad
    http://homepage.mac.com/burningskies/.Pictures/lpad-1.jpg

I'm now wondering if I've done mine incorrectly. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding something or not, but I think the 2 resistors on the right are connected in series and should be paralleled instead. (It did occur to me that BurningSkies may have used different value resistors connected in series to achieve 20 ohms resistance, but I can't read the values on the resistors in the photo. (2 X 10 ohms connected in series?))

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

9. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    Jim,

I'm happy to help. I'll work on getting the soldering piece up there, and let me know what I can do on the composite stuff.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, getting the internal dimension of the chamber down to around 2 liters / 122 ci with styrofoam is desirable in that particular version of it. The side closest to the outer wall is the place to do it. Not at all necessary to be dead on, but reduction will be a benefit for 6ND410.

If you are using my version and using the Mills resistors you should have THREE 7.5Ω parts paralleled on series leg, and TWO 40.0Ω parts paralleled on shunt (that's the path running between + and -).

11. my 1st post in a fEarful thread and hope i dont get hated for this..

what about modifying the design ?..i tried my luck and got similar plots as with the original specs but with a smaller size enclosure and a smaller tuning freq..

has anybody tried this before and with what results ?

12. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    I think you'll find that a lot more effort has been put into this design than "a plot". I'd advise against changing the design.

If you want to do so, the best course is to open a new thread for discussion: these threads are for the discussion of the actual fEarful designs.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think Greenboy has done a lot of iterations shrinking the cabs as much as they can go and maintain sufficient port area.

One big issue with size that people don't notice (at least I didn't) is that in order to maintain all that port area, you have to have a certain depth, and if you start making the cab too small you just don't have room for sufficient tuning of the ports (e.g. you can't make the shelf long enough to tune it right).

The amount of port area is one of the huge distinguishing features of the fEarful. Most cab makers who are using the 3015LF/3012Lf and similar high excursion drivers do not use enough port area to avoid performance loss (and possibly even port noise) at high power.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yes, I've tried it. There's still no free lunch. :crying:

PM coming at you.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    fEaRB15 revised to fit all other fEarful midrange chamber and driver spacing conventions, Scoop Handles now the default on this design.

[​IMG]

16. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Update: got my biamp cable built. I'm using a BBE DS24 to do the crossover. It's all working well. The DS24 is set up with LF on output 1, HF on output 2, and full range on output 3. I can switch between internal passive crossover and external biamp using the toggle switch on the back of the cab.

MX

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    hey MX, do you know if the BBE DS24 models are exportable?

DS24 settings files might be something quite valuable for the wiki :)

18. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yes. It comes with a CD and serial cable. You can do the setup on the PC and save the file. I'll put what I've got so far in the Wiki tonight.

MX

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Flippin sweet. I think people'd hesitate a lot less with the electronic crossover angle if they knew they could get a high quality DSP/Crossover with prebuilt settings for 160-175 bucks :)

No noise or any issues with your DS24, eh?

20. Oops. I think I see where I dropped the ball. Mr BurningSkies was using one of the Eminence crossovers for his low mid and there's a different L Pad design for that configuration. My apologies to everyone for muddying the waters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.