1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part VI: Electric Boogaloo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barcode, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    If you are on the fence about building an fEarful get Swift to make you a cut kit . I built one of Swifts 12/6 cut kits last summer and it went together great . With the dado joints and all the cabinet edges already routered all you need are a bunch of wood clamps , good glue and a little patience . You don't even really have to have many woodworking skills , all the cutting is already done . When I was assembling mine I had a 2" square on hand but didn't need to use it , with the dado joints it all clamped up square right away .

With one of these kits you get Greenboys exact design with all the advantages of the thought put into it . When I got done with mine it was a nice as any cabinet looks wise I've ever had . If you want the real thing these cut kits make it way easier than having to build from scratch . Swift does nice work .

2. bhubb3rd

bhubb3rd Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Philly Baby!
    Couple of questions - I have (2) Berg AE210's and want to add some fEarful's into the mix.

I am torn between one or two 15/6's or two 12/6's. I have read here that two 15/6's is overkill, but I play in a LOUD band and am afraid one 15/6 won't keep up to my two Berg's.

I also think that two 12/6's might be viable, but don't know if they could keep up with the Berg's.

Also thinking I could get one 15/6 and a 12/6 cube.

I guess what I am really wondering is - can one 15/6 replace my Berg's? If not, and I am going to have to load in two cabinets, should I just go ahead and get two 15/6's, or go with two 12/6's?

I will be driving these with either a GB Shuttle 9.0 (primary) or my MB LMT800 (back up)

Any advise / comments / recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

3. Which cuts kits are you making?

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    PM me for details
    Which cut kit(s) do you want?

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Swift, what woods do you have available?

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    1/2" Baltic Birch

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Hey folks. I've been getting a lot of PM's about cut kits. I'm afraid I don't know exact shipping costs. Last year I was able to ship a 15/6 kit pretty much anywhere in the continental US for less than $50 but there was significant variation depending on destination. At the time the price included shipping but at this point I'd rather do that separately. I can give people shipping quotes once I get their kits packaged. IIRC the 15/6 was less than 15lbs and the package was about 34"x24"x6". I was just able to send them US mail. fEarbs, 15/6tubes, 12/12's, 15/15's, etc. will most likely have to ship UPS due to size.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Swift; use Fedex. Fedex ground is the cheapest way to do things like this. I shipped a Mesa 400+ for 50 bucks and a Gk 1001 RB II for 28. No way you should be paying anything over 40, even at the size of the 15/6.

That said, with 1/2" bb, you should be looking at closer to 30lbs of wood. Baltic birch is around 42lbs/cubic foot (or 56lbs per 4x8 1/2" sheet). The 15/6 looks about 3/5ths of a sheet, so around 34lbs.

From the numbers I've found, Arauco (if you have the clamps and tools to make it work) will weigh about 1/3rd less than that (so closer to 23lbs). Too bad it warps so badly. Almost wonder if you could clamp it together in transit :)

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    My memory may be wrong about the weight. We can figure out the shipping when there's something to be shipped.
    Anyway, Aruaco is not readily available to me, I would have to buy an entire unit and that's not going to happen.

10. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Definitely ship FedEx Ground or Home and do all the shipping online via their website. Cheapest shipping possible on large or heavy items, can schedule pickups at your location, you never have to leave the house. And they have a great website that aggregates and tracks all your shipping in one tidy page.

I ran some costs and shipping FedEx Home (Ground) came out as $18 shipping to Raleigh, NC or $35 to Beverly Hills, CA (including $100 insurance) from your location in MA using 36# and the dimensions you listed. If the kit is only 15# then you can ship all the way to CA for a mere $19.

11. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    yeah I ship everything bigger than a small USPS flat rate box with Fedex. definitely cheapest and if something did happen to the package they handle it pretty quick unlike UPS

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    I returned a large unopened item to a vendor in early December via Fedex. The vendor claimed it was damaged. The check for reimbursement arrived yesterday. So your claim is not always true.

13. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    I see your point, but sadly that's not so slow compared to the average UPS damaged shipment reimbursement horror story.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well Ive had 4 claims over 10 years(I ship alot of computers and car audio gear, hundreds of shipments) and all were handled within 3 weeks maximum. Every story I've heard of UPS seems to be deny the first time around and upon a 2nd claim look into it. So I can only speak on my experience. I have no clue whether your claims were filed properly or the package was readily available for pickup by FedEx, or one of many factors that would delay in the process. and don't get me started on USPS, They loose packages all the time and claim they never existed even with a DC. Only problem i ever had with FedEx was someone in California trying to use my account to ship stuff and they charged me for it until I filed a fraud claim.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, let's maybe not turn this into a "shipping company done done me wrong" thread ;)

Every shipping company screws up, but Fedex is the cheapest for medium size packages ground in the US.

16. would two 12/6 be a lot louder than my Avatar 2x12??

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not in terms of sensitivity, which will be about the same (except from 40-60hz or so) but the overall maximum volume will be much higher (3+db) and the off-axis performance would be far superior.

18. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Cool, thanks for the tips!

19. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Hi folks, I'm sold on this design, but I prefer to carry smaller boxes and I'd like to go modular, with a 15sub + headcase.. or maybe a 12/6!. Most likely I'll build the 15sub first and use it with my existing 2x10 cab....

Question:
    I don't see a Greenboy "Cheap but Good" crossover for a 15sub (there's one for a 12sub), so do I run it full-frequency, or use the parts recommended for the low pass section of the 15/6? What is the recommended crossover frequency?

Thanks!

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Probably the best thing to do is send a PM to Greenboy. He's a real live human. I know a while back he was working on the low pass designed for that cab...and you WILL want one, not just to run the speaker full-spectrum. I have some values, but they're tailored to a slightly different spec since my 15/6 has a slightly different crossover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.