1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE! (Part VI: Electric Boogaloo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barcode, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    would you notice much difference between say a 15/6/1 and a 15 fearb with a mid and tweet? or is the 15 fearb meant mostly as a sub? i kinda like the 15 sub/fear thing and add a headcase idea to cut down on weight but i think it might be better if you can get the 15/6/1 in fearb format with a tweeter on/off switch

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can do the fEarb with a 6 and tweeter with an on off switch.

From what I can gather the difference between the Fearb and the Fearful is you sacrifice some low end sensitivity around 50hz for a slower rolloff and more output below 50hz.

If you don't want anything below A/B I would recommend sticking with a 15/6/1 with an on/off switch, and get the fEarB if you want lower than that.

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI

can you explain this part of it in laymans terms. i have no idea what low end sensitivity is.

of course i would want more definition on low notes, especially from my synth but what would i give up in the upper end of the spectrum? i don't play 6 string basses and such but i do like to use a wide range on the keys

thanks!

4. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    In layman's terms, the fEarB goes lower, but isn't as loud. It is primarily designed for people who play stuff tuned below B0.

Nornal 5 & 6 streings sound great on a fEarful. No, like really, really good.

5. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    The Vlad cab is here!

Nice... the cab is tight and light with good coat of Duratex.

I am loading drivers and crossover. Haven't decided on all the hardware yet.

Attached Files:

6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so it looks like im going to go the fearb and headcase route. i have a few questions though:

1) looking at the fearb crossover, it looks like i put the crossover part of it attached to the speakons in the fearb part of it and then run a speakon cable from the fearb to the headcase. Is this correct?

2) can i put an on of switch for the horn in the headcase and will i need a new design for the crossover?

3) does the cheap but good crossover include plans for a tweeter level control as well as a mid control?

4) where is the cheapest place to get the 3015lf and 6nd410?

thanks!

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    also, the one thing im worried about will be if my mesa m6 carbine will be enough juice for this thing. it is super powerful with my dr bass 1580. i don't turn the volume up much at all with that cab but im thinking i will be cranking it with the fearb. i don't play loud to begin with so i don't need super loud, just nice headroom

8. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I think you're confusing the fEaRB with the 15sub. There's no need for a headcase with a fEaRB as it already includes the mid and tweet. The fEaRB is a larger, lower-tuned fE15/6 for people playing below the B of a 5/6-string.

1) Personally, I'd put just the LP from the fE15/fEaRB into the 15sub and the fE15/fEaRB HP as well as the Duke LeJeune tweeter HP into the headcase.

2) Yes and no. You don't need a new design...just add a switch to the current one.

3) No. The Duke HP has a tweeter level control but there isn't a mid control anywhere to be found. greenboy has posted numerous times about why he doesn't like them.

4) Research is part of your job, bub.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It'll be fine. The 1580's woofer is no more sensitive than the 3015LF in the fEarb, and the 8" driver is less sensitive than the 6nd410 in the headcase.

10. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    You'll be fine.

11. Barcode

Barcode

Feb 22, 2010
    yeah, if you read through the threads, i believe you will find that the fearful cab is going to blow away your dr. bass, you won't be cranking the fearful more than the dr. bass.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wouldn't say blow away but it should be slightly more sensitive, definitely not less.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Note to Davio:
    I'm pretty sure he is talking about the fEaRB15sub and a headcase.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you'd put the lowpass filter in the sub and then the other part of the x-over in the head case along with the switch for the tweeter.

If I were you, I'd try the crossovers without dedicated level adjustments and see if that works for you.
    If you decide you really need some type of level changes, it would be better to have one or more pads that can be switched in and out rather that an ordinary rheostat type control.

14. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
  15. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I suppose you could be right. Seems kind of silly to me.

That's what I said. ;)

Also, most people get by fine without a variable mid control by using their EQ.

16. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    yeah im getting vlad's fearb which doesn't have the mid and tweet hence the headcase

17. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
  18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The headcase is nice :) Means you can switch sub cabs, have a place to store cables and your amp, and so on.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

I can't keep up with all these threads.

Don't put full frequency to the sub, that defeats it's entire purpose. Low pass it in the same place, at the same order and configuration as the woofer in the full range cab that's sitting on top of it.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This does not shock me. That amp is practically designed to run these things. If they released an updated version with a 1000w / 200w class D amp, well, yeah. :) That'd rock the casbah. Too bad there's no real market for it except fEarfuls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.