1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Here's what you want when using mirror-image baffles, Bongo:

[​IMG]

With non-mirror-image ones just put one on top of the other, and with the MR cones at the top of each if you want more height.

There's no advantages to be gained by changing port placement.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The 3015LF version actually comes so close to what a 212 can do because it can be driven harder before overexcursion and has the sensitivity advantage. So only the ohms load is of consideration perhaps. For myself, if I wanted a 4-ohm load and more scalability I'd consider fEarful15 and fEarful12, and if really wanting to sound stadium-ready, dual fEarful15s!

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Actually it'll be more low frequency extension "breathing room" than you could ever need for any onstage bass rig. And if you were combining it with The Big One you'd have real bad LF phase coherency. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you there.

If I actually ever needed a second cab for gigging (and my gigs are LOUD!) I'd build the fEarful12 without any midrange cone and sit it underneath my fearful15, because the 18Sound midrange in the top cab can keep up with the two woofers until you are putting maximum wattage into the system. As you said, just switch the padding.

You are severely underselling the sonic avalanches that combination can deal out! ; }

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I wouldn't expect many customers to want to pair the two cabs however even if they do with the alignment I'm looking at the cabs are no more than 10 deg out of phase which is insignificant - the key seems to be matching the tuning frequency, there's more flexibility on internal volume as long as you don't go mainstream small! ;)

One upside of going bigger is that you can take advantage of the lower Fs and give the option of blocking off 1/3 of the port to give greater low frequency extension at the expense of max SPL - with a smidgeon of bass boost such a cab will go Acme low.

:D

Alex

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    At the risk of hijacking, GB did you ever have any success mating a plate amp to your fEarful 15? What became of that? You know how retarded I am for powered cabs!

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    That was my Carvin LS1503 I was going to do that with. Just haven't gotten around to talking to Carvin about this. The fEarfuls can handle more power and I already have QSC amps to deliver it : }

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I may just have to suck it up and get a power amp once the design on the f12 is complete!

8. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    So...any guess as to the differences in sound between this one and the 15 other than the amount of air being pushed?

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey Davio,

Baffle effects will change some due to boundaries and placement of drivers, and the midrange could be different also if one uses different midrange cones. The fEarful Fifteen needs to have the 18 Sound or Beyma midrange if one doesn't want a bottom heavy sound and really wants to hit the cab with major wattage.

The 3012 is less sensitive than the 3015LF so it can be paired with the Em Alpha-6A if you are budget inclined. It definitely sounds different.

Any of these will sound far more balanced, articulate, and will reflect even subtle EQ changes in what were difficult regions for the majority of cabs on the market today. If the input sounds good the output will. Conversely, GIGO ; }

10. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Can/will you put together a bill of materials for the build when you build your own?

stettoman likes this.
  11. GB,

What kind of power will the fEarful 12 take? What is the Ohm rating of the 3012lf? If you built this cab with a 2 space rack opening on top, and slapped the new Carvin bx500 in it, would it make a good combo? Maybe blow a lmII out of the water? And while I'm at it, do you have any plans on possibly designing the '12 with a kickback type of cab? Not all of us play at coliseum sound levels, but still need the low 'B' to come out well (I happen to play in church).

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    It does swept sine wave at 520 watts, which is maybe 7 times as many watts as the DeltaliteII 2512 will handle with that same input. In real world terms this won't fart out even when scads of low frequency content is applied, won't sound shrill or hiss if the input is good, should do fine with 800-900 watts as long as you don't have every low EQ option on your rig turned up full blast.

It'd kill. Though really, I've had "airheads" before and end up changing back to separates.

I'll let someone else do that - I just stick something under the front of the cab if I want tilt {actually I even have a fold-out cradle that does this ; }

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Granted I know nothing about this... but... shouldn't two different sized speakers be baffled separately or something? I thought I hear somewhere that that different sized speakers could hurt each other if left open.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I probably will never build this myself. The loud gigs and jams I do go just fine with the fEarful15-6.

I'll just put out the final design once I have an Eminence cutsheet on my computer (so that I can finalize everything with no mistakes) so that others can benefit.

15. I understand this. My thought was that at less than 6lbs and with the lightweight drivers, and using the 9 ply birch ply that it would be a very lightweight rig that would kill for small or meduim volume applications. That, and I leave my amp at church and a combo tends to be harder to steal than a 6 lbs amp the size of a phonebook.

edit: It just occurred to me that this combo would be the size and weight of a practice amp, with the ability to gig with.....hhhmmmmmm..........

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    It's certainly easy enough to add. Though with a 5.5 pound head, I'd be taking it home and elsewhere and using it there too.

17. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    GB, any thought on what frequency to cross the 3012LF over to the Alpha 6A?

Do you think the Alpha needs a pad? They look pretty well matched to me.

If one was to use an off the shelf crossover like the popular Eminence PXB2 series they've got two options: 1600Hz or 800Hz. Which would you recommend?

18. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I really like this idea Alex! The extra 1x12 without the mid can be used when you need it, and you save the extra expense of a second mid and crossover. Would you put a low-pass on the 1x12" without the mid so that is doesn't see a full range signal? Would there be any interference issues with the mid if you didn't?

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    800 Hz looks pretty good to me 2nd order/3rd order or 3rd/3rd if possible, no pad, as concerns the Alpha6-A. Until I see the 3012LF datasheet I can't get more specific about this. Sometimes asymmetric alignments are nice too. Ferinstance, with my 3015LF/6ND410 combination I use 630 Hz 4th order lowpass/500 Hz 4th order highpass and it's spot-on.

Probably 800. I think that was designed with the small-format Em midrange cones in mind. 1600 Hz would not be as nice off-axis, and probably not on-axis either... But don't think one Alpha6-A is enough for two 3012LF.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    It'd depreciate the quality of sound. Actually I did the 2 woofs and one mid thing a couple of loud gigs using two 3015LF and one 6ND410, just switched out the padding on the midrange when the second 3015LF was used. Unitl you get into ungodly wattage going into the system the 6ND410 can keep up. It'd be an even better match with two 3012LF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.