1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3012LF models out with an F3 around 52 Hz as a vented direct radiator. You could probably mass load it, and lower the F3 a few Hz. An EBS alignment could also be used I suppose. The optimal 1.75 cubic foot volume leaves a lot of room for EBS expansion.

52 Hz is fine for those who believe there is no life below the 2nd harmonic, but IMO it will be a bit thin on the bottom. 3012LF is really suited for horn loading.

BTW, did they charge a lot for you to register fEarful as a trademark? I thought that process was time consuming and expensive, due to the legal research involved. I'm curious to know more about the process, in the event I ever do that for myself.

2. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    This was the first thing I saw after loading up the 3012LF T/S parameters. I felt better about my current cab in the sense that I wasn't going to have to run out and build another based on the new drivers. They are impressive 12s, but they aren't anything more impressive than the 3015LF (not that I expected they could be).

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    neat thread, thanks!

4. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you get away from the 'standard' alignments you can do much better with the 3012LF. The alignment I'm looking at gives an F3 of 44Hz and is clearly far more optimal than the standard SBB4, Quasi-Butterworth, Sub-Cherbychev, EBS3, EBS6 choices. Even with an F3 of 52Hz you will not have a thin sound by any means, certainly fatter than the vast majority of commercial bass cabs.

There is plenty of life below the 2nd harmonic but the relevance of this depends on what register and context you're playing in. For instance the fundamentals of sub E-string notes are an irrelevance in rock bands but an octave higher most would want full response on the fundamental.

3012LF looks a great driver for horn-loading but it is equally great for ported cabs.

Alex

6. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes and yes! I'm hoping I can use a very similar crossover to the latest iteration in The Big One. One of the interesting benefits of this design is that it actually tilts the on-axis response upwards slightly which will improve the sound where you're standing. It should also mean that the midrange driver cannot be overpowered short of viciously mad feedback and it means you can use the cabs either vertically or horizontally. I imagine many bassists would prefer the appearance of the pair stacked horizontally and doing so will give a bit more output in the low midrange due to a lowering of the baffle step frequency. Conversely for a smidgeon less midrange oomph but more clarity you could stack vertically which will get the midrange driver closer to on-axis with your ears.

Am very excited about this model, will bring all the benefits of The Big One into a less loud and more portable package - and knowing how insanely loud The Big One can go I think it'll be a great option for anyone working with a drummer that understands the word "dynamics" or even plays with a crazy loud rock drummer but has PA support.

Alex

7. Having annoyed the neighbours for 2 weeks with the Big One, I can't wait to see and try the Not-So-Big One :)rolleyes:). If it's half as good, it'll be awesome :hyper:

8. How do you think it would compare to your Compact?

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    More bottom, more top, less sensitive, more even off-axis, similar max SPL but will require more power to reach it, slightly heavier, more expensive.

I'm expecting it to sound incredibly similar to The Big One (and cost about the same) but with similar size/weight/max SPL to The Compact.

Alex

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I recommend that you guys that ask such questions load up these drivers in WinISD Pro to see what low frequency response will be like in various sizes/tunings and look at what datasheets are currently available too.

This is tremendously instructive about the state of commercial bass cabs too. In fact, before neos came out I used to have a pile of OEM driver data from NAMM shows and contacts met at NAMM shows. And no way did 99% of the cabs that used these drivers even come close to doing what the manufacturers claimed in their cab specs. But that data wasn't available to the general public. Quite a bit different from sound reinforcement which tended to have very detailed, referenced specs with charts, and even a lot of educative stuff to help one make sense of it all.

On the other hand, these days just having a lot of drivers in the database and checking them out in sim gives one a good idea of what is possible and practical, and such understanding and motivations are probably not bad for DIYing.

11. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I feel the same way. I never did a build with the 3015LF because it is would provide much more cab than I ever need. For my ZL210 composite cab build the 2510s were enough for most of my gigs, but for some of the really loud ones two tens just don't cut it. I'm thinking that two twelves will fit my typical gigs much better.

For many gigs my ZL210 it too much. The sound guy is always asking me to turn down the low end on my rig because he's getting too much coming through to FOH. In these situations I'm pretty sure a 1x12 with the 3012 will be just fine. For louder gigs where the ZL210 was not enough two 3012s should add that extra volume I need. Dropping the mid in just the primary 1x12 makes a lot of sense too. I like the idea of having it up by ear level.

Back to the drawing board.

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Eminence just update the website with the 3012LF

Check it out!

13. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Great to see the measured plots! Have contacted Eminence UK for an ETA.

Alex

P.S. Anyone else noticed that the cones and surrounds appear to be identical? I'm thinking that can't be right, so which driver is the one pictured?

14. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics

16. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    do you bi-amp your fEarful 15? What do you use for your 6?

Now that eminence has a 12 I wonder of an El Whappo rip off would be possible?

17. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    The surrounds look different to me...maybe they didn't have time to put up different pics earlier?

3012HO:
    [​IMG]

3012LF
    [​IMG]

Asad

18. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    CRAP!!

* packs up the already-cut birch ply *

;)

btw - this is exactly what the doctor's been ordering!

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

20. whooomp!

whooomp!

Jun 9, 2005
    Hmmm... Another project to enjoy...
    Yum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.