1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    GB, don't stress over this! Unless it's fun to do so :D. As far as I'm concerned, you've contributed as much to bass amplification as Paul Tutmarc did for the bass guitar. I mean, I never would have found my favorite amp without your thread. And if I ever need another cab it's going to be a fEarful 15/6 (unless you come up with something better ;))! And you've done it for free! I say go with the most utilitarian design that you have and let those who have more particular needs learn the software and tweek the design.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm curious about using this design with an Eminence Deltalite II 2512, as I have one lying around, and this is exactly the size cab I'd like to have.

3. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    + a bajillion! I would never have fallen in love with Dingwall basses and it would've been a much longer time before being introduced to my first 3-way cab (AG) without Mr. 'Boy. :D

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Medium Deep Recessed Handle, Black
    [​IMG]

Medium Recessed Handle, Black
    [​IMG]

Medium Aluminum Recessed Handle
    [​IMG]

To get extra mounting strength and some vibration control simply glue a thin plywood block (as thin as .25") that 6.25" x 4.25" behind the cutout so that it lines up with the handle exterior and drill the holes when the glue has dried, and use longer screws. You can even squish open cell foam in between the handle cavity and the block if you desire additional vibration damping.

The aluminum handle is the lightest.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
  6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    One posssibility:

5 X 7 Jack Plate, Black
    [​IMG]

Personally I'd ask Reliable if they would sell you one with just the Speakon D-sized holes (two holes of this size if you want a daisy chain) or plug the small holes.

You can always do a very shallow route to inset the jack plate and screws slightly. If so, consider running two pieces of 2.625"-wide airline-drilled 3/4" wood from top girdle brace to bottom girdle brace right where the cups' mounting holes can bite into these. You get yet more rear-panel bracing rigidity this way as well as having that cup really screwed down.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
  8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000

9. :hyper: (Hammy frantically waves his hand) :hyper:
    OH! OH! And dont forget the tilt back with a 2 space slot for adding ahead! :bag:

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    If you can't figure out how to add that on yourself you probably don't need it bad enough ; ]

11. Sorry, I was just giving you a bad time ;)

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    No prob ; }

13. Greenboy, can you give me some clarification here? When stated this:
    )
    Are you referring to a two way system? If so, wouldn't that LS1503 crossover eliminate freqs above the 3300 Hz point of that component?

Not to hijack, but am thinking of disconnecting the CD in my LS cab (not that I'd miss much over 3K). Just wondering if you used it in two or three way cab.....thanks,....E.

14. azure

azure

Dec 19, 2008
    Israel
    GB, what tweeter would you suggest for a 3-way fEarful 12?

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Something small and cheap that doesn't suck too bad, like the Em APT80.

[​IMG]

Once you have a great midrange cone the tweeter really doesn't need to be a big deal. It's doing so little of the frequency spectrum in a three-way, and if padded back properly it blends in a way that never happens in a two-way. A year ago I would have recommended something with a larger flare and/or a crazy spec, but bass guitar just doesn't put out much but string noise above the range of the midrange cone. So the only concern now is to have decent dispersion characteristics and make a little string noise. Let me qualify that by saying I'd probably cross over at 5 or 6.3 K Hz with a highpass only, and an ON/OFF switch, and let the midrange cone do its thang.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Sure, but it was easy enough to get a decent listen. Actually I just bandwidth-limited before the passive crossover with my Peavey VSX 26 anyway so as to do quick A\Bing with a few different approaches but the same basic response so I wouldn't get fooled.

I don't recall how easy it would be to actually do trace cuts on the LS1503 crossover to defeat the lowpass filter for the midrange cone. But I'd not feel too bad about using it stock in a three-way version of either fEarful™.

17. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    That there is quite the statement...

Something to ponder - both Paul and Bud Tutmarc apologized to God for the balance of their lives for the evil that bass did to humanity.

I don't think greenboy feels even the slightest bit guilty about any of this stuff....

;)

I an liquidating my 1x10/1x12 in anticipation of the fEARful 12 build...

:hyper:

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If it helps you make up your decision any, i'll be looking to build 2, as narrow (and as high) as possible, since they aren't meant to stack on top of a 15. This would be with the 6" drivers in the middle, with the top cab having the 6" below. Showing whatever iteration of that you have, would be really nice.

What's the speaker volume you are estimating on the 3012LF?

19. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    hello,

i'm new to greenoby's fearful cabs and i was wondering how they compare to other popular cabs out there. i'm obviously referring to the fearful fifteen since one can only predict how the fearful twelve is going to perform.

i'd appreciate if people would share their opinions.

thanks

20. Hello all. I am planning to build a fEarful 12+6 :p I've read all (*?) threads, but still have some questions. I want to use a passive crossover.

1. Would you recommend a two-way setup or three-way (12+6+tweeter) ?

2. Is there a stock cross-over that is good, for either the 2-way or the 3-way build?

3. If not, has anyone calculated a crossover? Please post it!

4. I suppose that the exact dimensions, including the ports, will be posted on Greenboys website? When?

Eminence has published all data on this driver, right?

5. I suppose that I can change the size, (I'd like the cab to be high, less deep, less wide) as long as I keep the number of liters/ cubic feet the same? And what would a higher, less wide and deep cab mean for the port layout?

Thanks!

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.