1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 & 15/6 enclosure designs - FREE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX21

MX21 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'd like to save a couple pounds. Anyone have a 12/6 complete enough to get an idea for how much it will weigh?

MX

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The biggest variable is what kind of plywood you use. Even among the same ply from the same manufacturer - let's say picking from dense, stable baltic birch, there is some weight variance. And again, one can use lighter plywoods as long as they are void-free and have a decent number of plys.

Not an answer, I know, but it's not like a commercial cab that is built around a particular species and make of sheet material.

3. I wonder if it would be feasible in your situation to let the crossover in the 12/6 work for both cabs via daisychaining? What I mean is, the low pass from the crossover would be wired to an extra speakon jack that could be connected to the 12/-, which would just have its 12" driver wired straight to the jack. That way you'd have the option of using the 12/- without the low-pass if you ever wanted to, plus it would save you a crossover.

But I don't know much about the electronics, so this may be totally off base...

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Unfortunately, Ed, that shifts the crossover frequency an octave or so, you've just taken a nominal 8-ohm load and made it 4.

5. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark

I think I weighed my cab to around 14Kg ~30,8lb without speakers and crossover. That is 1/2" 9 ply baltic birch.

6. GregBlach

GregBlach

Mar 5, 2009
    Denmark
    Hey, good idea, but it won't work in my case, 'cause I want to connect the cabinets in parallel so the impedance is 4 ohm.

7. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    It will give you 500W/side @ 4 Ohms. I'd guess that means around 300W @ 8 Ohms. You can use one side for a single cab and use a passive crossover which would be the same as using, say, a LMII but I don't think it would help any more unless you sent each channel to its own filter (one to a HP and one to a LP) inside the cabinet thereby giving you 300W for the woofer and 300W for the mid and tweet. In which case I'd guess it would be pretty cool. But what do I know? :)

8. I still think the green one with a matching green speaker baffle is the way to go...........

9. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if you could talk them into selling you a spare faceplate... ;)

The name would be appropriate too.

10. That would be cool!

11. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Only problem with the green one is that you'd probably only get a total of ~200W from it for both woofer and mid/tweet.

12. Thats true, but just playing in church or small club, that would probably be enough. Anything more than that and you go FOH.

13. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    True enough. I've been using about that for my AG Tri112L and it works out quite nicely even for loud stages if I tilt it back. But I know many bass players are power whores... ;)

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.