1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEarful™ 12/6 Cutkit Assembly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Supertanker, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    fEarful™ 12/6 Cutkit Assembly Thread

I started this thread so those of us with 12/6 cutkits (thanks Swift!) could work together on the assembly of our cutkits.

Here's mine:

IMG_2659.

2. xk49w

xk49w Supporting Member

What about making grills from this or this. They come in pairs. Could probably shear out four out of a pair. Something like 15" x 20.375".

Works out to about $12 plus shipping for each grill.

3. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
  4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm sure you guys know but if you use a 6ND410 instead of Alpha 6, you need to pad that sucker back a lot (like 6db).

edit: fixed :p

5. flight120

flight120

Mar 10, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Why would you use 6ND410 AND an Alpha 6? ;)

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because I suck at typing.

7. flight120

flight120

Mar 10, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I'm just giving you a hard time, I think anyone ordering these cutkits should probably be acutely aware of the driver choices and differences. The fEarful thread(s) have had lots of discussion and gone into great detail on the pros & cons of these drivers.

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Hey there gents, I've pmed you all about one or two of my errors with the kits. khedspeth was kind enough to alert me to. As for the elves, they told me they were going to hitch-hike and or hop freight trains so they could see the country on their way to your respective locals. Besides, you wouldn't want to find a squashed elf in your kit would you?
    I've subscribed to this thread so don't be shy about chewing me out when you find more mistakes. ;)
    Matt

9. about 5 minutes with a hand miter saw and problem solved. Went together like a charm. Got half of it clamped and drying.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    subscribed

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I tend to reccomend ReliableHardware for most of the parts, because that gets you grilles cut to your spec, with a greater choice in grilles. I prefer the most open space, a figure which they kindly supply, though I think I spotted a typo'd figure last time I was there.

A tip on cutting, especially the diamond extruded type: don't use a grinder type cutting wheel for a table saw. The extra thickness makes for potential problems. Instead, use a hand grinder with a fresh cutting wheel on it. Clamp the material down with a long straight chunk of 1x4 or similar as a guide, right over and edged to the line you want to cut (you can even forgo tape marking), with that all overhanging your table slightly.

Then you can simply run the cutting wheel's open side right up against the guide board surface to cut straight and true. It may polish up the guide wood but unless you screw the pooch that's all it does. Don't rush or use a lot of pressure and you get really consistent clean cuts.

EDIT: Don't foget eye and hand protection. I often use the blue latex/cotton landscaping gloves because of their tight fit and sure grip for these type of jobs - and when dealing with PL Premium ; }

12. How have/are people planning on clamping the bracing while the glue dries? Am I fine without clamping? I really don't want to use screws if possible.

Kevin

13. xk49w

xk49w Supporting Member

Thanks. I couldn't remember the name of that place. Priced reasonably.

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I put the back panel of the cabinet on last. The bracing I glued each side's assembly together like a cross and then installed as a unit. This way you can use fewer clamps. With the red label Tight Bond you can just stick things together with glue and they stay. Or you can put some kind of weights on it.

15. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    Your timing is excellent Swift!

When I got home from work yesterday my 15/6 kit was waiting for me. Yesterday was my birthday.

I haven't opened it up yet since yesterday was an evening of steaks, enchiladas, cervesas and family. ;)

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If anyone has a 15/6 kit they're just never gonna get to using, please pm me...

17. xbassmanx

xbassmanx

Jul 29, 2007
    This thread has been kinda quiet....everybody busy I guess.

Well tomorrow weather permitting, I am gonna give it a go.
    I'll probably put the box together first thanks to the nice dado work Swift did for us. Then with the back off I'll add the bracing.

I am gonna use a nail gun with 18 gauge brads so I can move clamps where I need them.

18. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    My goal is to get started glueing by the weekend.

I'm gonna go to Home Depot and get some glue and claps tomorrow and hopefully get started soon after...

19. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
  20. A timely antibiotic injection will help get rid of the claps!!