1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEARful 12/6/1 -12Sub Build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gearhead1972, Oct 11, 2013.

1. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    As per my other thread I ordered some flat packs from Leland this last Saturday. He had some home theater stuff to get completed for a big expo in CO so he told me they would be delayed. I got a bunch of stuff already, grills, paint, DuraTex should be knocking on the door any second now. I hope the kits are here mid week but probably more like Friday.I wanted to start a separate build thread for others future reference. I have a decent amount of experience with wood and could cut the panels myself, but just wasn't up for it, as the house is up for sale and don't want to pull all the big tools out from hiding. Here are a few of my past projects

Gold Top LP style refinish

TDPRI 2012 build challenge

Psudo Bass combo Cabinet

So I have been sitting around thinking about the build and wanting to get started. I have been looking at tons of pictures to get ideas. I love the routing/CNC on the sides of some of the cabinets. I got a silly idea and just started it a little while ago.

Tell me what you guys think, I think it will be subtle and kind of cool since it really wont pop with the cab being black.
    Template Start
    bassclef.

2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I like it!

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I'm starting to miss my 12/6-12/sub combo. It really kicked some ass.......I'm sure you're gonna really like it. The routing idea looks really cool too. What amp are you going to use?

4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Carvin BX1500 :bassist:

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I use those exact cabs. They are my 'desert island' choice. You are going to love them. :bassist:

6. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Bassist, how do you have them wired to your QSC amp? Mono bridged?

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have been giving each cab a separate channel for 425w per channel, but next chance I get I am going to try bridging. I also just got a replacement part for my 12sub's crossover so I am looking forward to hearing what change that makes.

8. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Yummy
    I got a gallon because I have an old 2x12 guitar cab that had the rat fur burned off it years ago. My homemade mixer case has rattle can bedliner on it that no longer looks good. And finally my 18" PA sub has rat fur that I think I may pull off and coat with it.
    Duratex.

9. He keeps his cut list organized in a binder?? That's gotta be some kind of gear junky foul!! :)

10. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    lol no that binder is chord charts for my new band :ninja:
    But keen eye that is a cut sheet on top

11. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I powered mine with a pre>Carvin HD1500 which is the same power supply as the BX1500. From experience, it will kick like a mule.......:bassist:

12. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks Commercial User

Jan 6, 2011
    Kansas
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    Getting on it today. Thanks for your patience.

13. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    No problem Leland

14. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    I finished the template for the bass clef today. I used it to route about 3/16 into a piece of scrap. I then primed it, then one coat of latex flat black and finally one coat of DuraTex. I just wanted to check the viscosities I would need on the primer and and flat black with my spray gun, and see how the DuraTex goes on. I used a smooth sponge roller and it spread nice and even, it gave a nice little texture with that.

IMG_20131015_210757_159.

IMG_20131015_210820_437.

15. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Hey yeah - nuther 12/6 12sub owner here. I sure hope you love 'em as much as I do. It's such a fantastic, lightweight, modular rig. Super small footprint, but puts out fuller tone than my old 215 cab did.

Looking forward to your progress.

You gonna build your own crossovers or are you getting Leland's pre-built ones?

16. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Parts and boards for the 12/6, just parts for the sub from Leland. I have tons of soldering experience so not a problem.

17. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Meh, been there, done that............ Still doin' it. :p Wouldn't trade them for anything, except maybe a 15/6/1 that would fit in my car.

DSCN3365.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Awesome rig!!!! That is one of the best Pre-amps ever! How does it like your cabs?

19. Cirk

Cirk

Jan 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is exactly the cab combo I've been considering for a long while. What tonal differences are there with the mid and tweeter combos?

20. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Got tracking numbers :D