1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fearful 15/6/1 and Carvin LSx1503 Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nosajwp, Aug 11, 2012.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    From an overall perspective, how similar are these cabs? I've heard reports that build quality of recent LS1503's isn't as good as it used to be...would the LSx version have been built before they cost-reduced the design?

Also, do you guys think this type of cab could also do double duty as a cab for electric guitar?

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Far distant cousins perhaps? The true spec fEARful will eat its lunch in every way as it is much superior.

I am not a guitarist, but I have a hunch the 15/6 will work very well as a guitar cab. The 18sound mid driver does wonders.

You may want to check out the greenboy forum where alot of the experts hangout: http://greenboy.us/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=d84d5758f2570990338091297e041698

3. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    Last question first. Yes. Without question. I'm doing that now.

The 15/6 and 1503 are very similar, and in fact there's a LONG thread (that runs about 5 years) that documents Greenboy's first use of the 1503 as a bass cabinet. Obviously a $269 cabinet (or whatever they're going for these days) is cheaper than the LF driver alone for the 15/6, and the crossovers are far more refined in the 15/6, but the two share some DNA.

4. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Anyone else have an opinion?

5. Let me put it in this context:

Go look up specs on Carvin 15" speakers versus the 3015LF. From what I have seen I cant really tell you much about the Carvin's, but Eminance does a good job telling you what you are getting. The carvin may sound great for what it is, but a fEARful it is not.

6. I had a similar but different question. I bought the 1503 back when GB started talking about them and was wondering could I convert it to a nearful by changing out the drivers and crossover?

7. I would go back to the old thread and find out what greenie was doing back then.

8. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    I'm not at liberty to speak about Carvin's gear but in response to your second question, the 15/6 is an excellent guitar cab--just don't use the tweeter. If you plan to use the cab for acoustic guitar, then you may want the tweeter but with a switch and attenuator.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It could definitely be done. However, the results won't be as good. The Carvin has less internal volume and less porting so it definitely won't go as low... may start chuffing.

By the way, a flatpack from Leland for a fEARful is $155 and might be a better route.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Just eyeballing the specs of drivers used, etc., a true-spec fEARful has the output potential of roughly 2 of the Carvins and deeper low end extension. So, to fompare price, you really should be looking at 2 Carvins vs. 1 fearful. Only reason I could see for going with the carvin pair is if you don't have an amp big enoigh to make an 8ohm fearful do what it can do, and don't mind hauling more stuff.

If you just plain don't all that output or depth, a single Carvin might do the job. Less output but still want deep lows, a fearful 12/6 with Ampha 6 and CBG crossover shouldn't be too expensive if you DIY it.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Geez...lotsa typos there....oops.

12. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I own 2 of the Carvins from the later lsx series, and they are made fairly cheaply. A little attention to some parts has been necessary, but overall they work very well. They work excellent as guitar cabs, as they are PA cabs. If they had a strong voice they would not very desirable in the Pro audio world. I agree that you would be better off without a tweeter, but you might be able to get away with just turning down some of the highs.

As for similarity, they share a common ancestor, but the fEarful is a different genus.

If you are even remotely confident in the build, go for the fEarful.

13. Will33 - You can edit posts, you know...this isn't Russia.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yet. :D

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It could be Russia. I mean, posters on this board are in a whole variety of locations.

Besides, if anyone bothers to read the real story, the Carvin cab wasn't a 'formative' part of fEARful development. Greenboy will tell you, that it was an 'aside' that he explored, but he was working on design development years before the 1503 thing came up.

16. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    I own both fEARfuls and a pair of 1503's and can report that there is nothing similar between a 15/6+1 and 1503 past the overall look [both are 3-way]. The 1503 is utterly left in the dust by every measure and means of comparison versus a 15/6+1 = it is heavier, weaker in the lows, quick to fart, less mid range clarity, weak squeaky tweeter.

As a low cost medium output PA top its a workable solution but if you need a high output MI cab with authority below 100 Hz - fahgeddaboutit. I suggest you keep your money in your pants rather than trying to polish a turd.

My $0.02