Fearful 15/6/1 or Avatar TB-153 speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StreamerJazzman, Jul 8, 2017.

1. StreamerJazzman

StreamerJazzman

Sep 1, 2013
    Hi all,
    Ive been checking out the Fearful 15/6/1 and the Avatar TB-153.
    Some say that the TB-153 is not quite as good as the Fearful. Design and Materials etc.

I noticed at the Eminence website that they are selling 4 ohm 3015lf drivers.
    Are these the same drivers that the TB-153 4 ohm version uses?

Also the 3015lf 4 ohm speaker from Eminence has better specs than the 8 ohm version ie:
    8 ohm: 40hz-1.5 kHz, 450 watts, 9.6mm Xmax
    4 ohm: 36hz-1.3 kHz, 550 watt, 10.64mm Xmax

Is it possible to build an official Fearful 15/6/1 using the 4 ohm driver?
    If not will these 4 ohm specs make the Avatar a better option than the 8 ohm Fearful?

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar get custom made OEM versions.

With a 153 you can read the reviews and know what you're getting

Ditto Fearful.

There are no 4 ohm subwoofer Fearfuls.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The Avatar wants to be a fEarful, but with off-the-shelf crossovers.
    It's not gonna perform as well, but it could perform well enough to meet your standards.
    As for the 4ohm/8ohm decision,
    I will always recommend a 8ohm cab, so you can expand later, should you need to.
    With 4ohm, you're stuck with only 1 cab (unless your amp goes down to 2ohm, which isn't a standard feature).

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Stewartsville, NJ
    FWIW, I have an almost new Eminence 3015LF in 4 Ohm sitting in a box. I would sell it cheap if someone needs it.

5. StreamerJazzman

StreamerJazzman

Sep 1, 2013
    Thanks for the replies!
    The question still remains:
    I noticed at the Eminence website that they are selling 4 ohm 3015lf drivers.
    Are these the same drivers that the TB-153 4 ohm version uses?

Also the 3015lf 4 ohm speaker from Eminence has better specs than the 8 ohm version ie:
    8 ohm: 40hz-1.5 kHz, 450 watts, 9.6mm Xmax
    4 ohm: 36hz-1.3 kHz, 550 watt, 10.64mm Xmax

Will these new 4 ohm specs make the Avatar a better option than the 8 ohm Fearful?

Thanks again

6. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Greenie looked at the 4 ohmer and rejected it - if i recall correctly - I believe the reason was a loss in sensitivity when making the switch to 4 ohms made it less than useless as you gained little or no volume for a loss of modularity choice.

7. or leaving out the big words, the amp just works way harder for little more volume.

Ant Illington and wave rider like this.
  8. StreamerJazzman

StreamerJazzman

Sep 1, 2013
    Thanks again,
    Considering the Fearful will cost me well over a thousand, the TB-153 "at a little more volume" for less money sounds like a winner for me! Also considering I have no desire to bring more than one cabinet to a gig.

shoot-r likes this.
  9. StreamerJazzman

StreamerJazzman

Sep 1, 2013
    BTW I will be running a GK MB Fusion 800 watt amp

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

For less than $800 I'd be looking at the Mesa Subway 115 or Barefaced Super Compact. Either will deliver the goods compared to a Fearful, cost less, and be much lighter.

Jools4001 likes this.
  11. kekani

kekani

May 13, 2015
    Kapolei
    Seems to me most guys paying for Greenboy cabs fork out $ for the fEARless line. DIY a fEARful and your cost is, well, you do the math.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  12. I see they want $639 for the TB 153.
    I built my 15/6/1 for about $600.
    If you can build your own, the real deal is better.

13. kap'n kro

kap'n kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I very much doubt that - a lot of the secret sauce to the Fearfuls and Fearless is the way the components are arranged, and the way the cab is built, particularly concerning internal compartments and bracing - not to mention the crossover.

The Avatar and Greenboy cabs may seem similar from a component standpoint, but the level of engineering that went into each is definitely not equal.

Not to necessarily completely discount the Avatar - I've never played a TB153 and it could sound good (I've actually owned 4 other Avatar cabs for the record), my only point is that there is a reason why the Greenboy cabs command a premium cost. It's just a matter of if the benefit is worth the cost to you personally.