1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fEarful 15sub build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcapote, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well this is pretty much a fEarful 15sub build with the exception that the skeleton bracing was switched up a bit on the top to accommodate a single handle on the top instead of the 2 sides and I also omitted the terminal plate and mounted the speakon-1/4" combo plugs through the wood itself for less weak areas. I still need to find where to order the grill from, I want one of the bbq grill looking grills cut for it. Next will be a 12/6/1 to accompany it.

3015LF -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

handles, one for this box and 1 for the 12/6/1 im building next
    [​IMG]

corners, not ideal because they were made for .75" wood but they will do since I bought em.
    [​IMG]

hurricane nuts for mounting the woofer
    [​IMG]

screws for mounting the corners

[​IMG]

1/4" - Speakon combo plugs a pair per box
    [​IMG]

Front panel cut out for the woofer test fit
    [​IMG]

hurricane nuts drilled and inserted these so far are way better than t-nuts imho
    [​IMG]

box started putting together as you can see I did dados for better structure, internal dimensions are to specs, i added the depth of the dados to the cuts. also painted the ports black to match my outside
    [​IMG]

some of the bracing and batting installed
    [​IMG]
    wasnt too sure how low to go with the batting as to not interfere with tuning so I cut it a little short
    [​IMG]

thought i took more pics but apparently I have nothing of the completed bracing, top, and front being added. this is after 1 coat of duratex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finished minus the grill, thought its still curing hence the color difference on the top left
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 handed carry FTW.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Really nice work. Looks very pro... :cool:

MM

3. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    thanks, my first non trunk box, but ive built tons of car audio boxes so it was only a small learning curve i guess. next one will be better hopefully. after I build the 12/6/1 im gonna test these combo out as a PA setup to see how it sounds, if its good I might build 2 more as mains and subs for my PA and use a pair for my bass

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

That's sounds like a great idea. Only thing I'd suggest would be to use a higher SPL 12 in the top box instead of the 3012LF to better match the rest of the system. A 12" deltaliteII may do as well as an HO in that application, something to model and think about. Only concern yourself with the section of the graph that ranges from your subs lowpass frequency to your mids highpass frequency.

5. Nice work. Looks like you took your time and did a real quality job.

6. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Nice looking box!

Are them speakons poking out the back? If so you might want to mount em from the inside or maybe just get a jack plate so they don't get snapped off.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What weight did it end up with?

Dimensions?

8. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Awesome. I want to build one as well.

No internal low-pass crossover?

What are your intentions for crossover design when pairing with your current setup / next cab build?

9. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    havent gotten a weight yet but its about 35lbs I curl it 1 handed like nothing.

they are the speakon / 1/4" combo plugs. there is actually about 1" maybe a bit more on the inside and 1/4" on the outside. I didnt want a jackplate because jackplates are only what 1/8" thick? on a 4x6 area thats a weak point I didnt want to add. I have 6 extras if something happens I will mount from the inside, but for now I will leave it like that.

I was thinking external crossover like a samson s-2 or similar
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1751 for PA or my current HA5000 has a high and low channel with a crossover.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So if you followed the fEarful 15sub plans the dimensions are

23h x 20.5w x 19.5d

Is that correct?

The pics make seemingly smaller than that.

11. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    nope its to specs which is 24h x 20.5 w x 19.5d the height is a 23" board plus the top and bottom if you recheck.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Ah, right. Thanks.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    For PA, use a deltalite and horn for the top, it'll keep up with the 3015LF fine if it's crossed over around 100hz.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Very nice job!

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

What horn & driver ?

I'm thiking about replacing my aging EON's with something. I have the pair of fEaful12 sub's - well 1 built and 1 under construction...

I was thinking about 2x8 and a horn as well... I know nothing about 8's though ...

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd use a Ph714 or Ph612 waveguide, and probably a selenium driver I think -- and biamp with an XTI 1000 (and another bridged amp for the subs). That's just what I was thinking and it seems like it'd work well.

17. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    you dont think i need a 6"? I had already ordered the 6" and the ASD1001S with a Dayton H07E just no woofer for the 12" yet. If i went with a deltalite I would need to redesign the box from the fearful 12/6cube right?

18. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    you could build the 12/6 for bass and build these for PA mains. simple build and stupid loud :hyper:
    unless greenboy has a PA top design......

19. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    thats an option, I can use this 15 for the PA sub and build a 12/6 for the bass. wonder if I should even bother with the waveguide for the bass cab? guess I should of posted up more before I started ordering parts hahaha.

20. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    well I started using my left over wood to do a 12/6. I decided to do the 12/6 because it can fit in the trunk of my civic which is good for taking to practices as opposed to the 15sub which I have to put in my passenger seat because of depth. got everything cut except the front and right side, guess I will buy a 24x48 $12 piece from Lowes. So any opinion on using the waveguide on a bass cab? good? bad? use it since i already bought it? put it away for another project? this wont be the killer 18sound mid unfortunately this is the alpha 6a since I got 1 for $50. Im also gonna mod the design again to put the handle on top I like carrying it around like that.