fEarful Build Derailed by Semi-Amazing Bargain - Questions Abound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by claudel, Aug 24, 2009.

1. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Well, in the midst of planning to build myself a fEarful 15/6 my scheme was pleasantly
    interrupted by scoring this wonderful unloaded Sunn Cabinet off my local CL for $25.00...

[​IMG]

The covering will be fine after a scrubbing and a dose of Meguiars #40, but the box needs to be reglued & rescrewed.

I also plan to install a Speakon NL-2MP, which conveniently is an exact fit for the hole in the rear panel and replace the speaker mounts with the proper number (8).
    I considered a NLJ2MD-V, which might be a better choice, but I already have the NL-2MP in hand

A few questions, TIA for any input, comments or answers.

It's a weird size. 24" wide x 28" tall x 10" deep internally measured. Counting on my fingers gives me 3.8888 CF
    internal volume which should be enough space for a Kappalite 3015 (non-LF), which I ordered while they're still on sale
    at Beach Audio. It has a cute little 3" x 3" round port already. 3/4" plywood.

Anybody know which model cabinet this is?

The port calculator at http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL Port lenth 1.htm tells me that I'll be able tune this box to 40Hz by trimming the existing port tube to 0.87"

This seems as if I'm missing something somewhere. Is that really all there is to it?

I want to seal/fortify the original wood screw based joinery as best I can. The back is screwed on with 26 screws ( all but 4 missing on this treasure )
    I'm planning on getting new screws & trim washers in the same size as the originals, dowelling/gluing the holes in the cabinet & rescrewing - pretty straight forward.

I'd like to glue the baffle into the cabinet along with redoing the 16 screws that hold it from the inside, but the grillcloth is stapled to the baffle instead of on it's
    own frame so that seems like it might not be the best idea.

I'm thinking of installing threaded inserts in the baffle and using machine screws instead of wood screws for this, but I'd love a better idea...

The baffle is flush with the front of the cabinet so there's no room for a separate frame for the grillcloth without major surgery that I'm not up for.

I'm probably gonna install T-Nuts and use machine screws to mount the speaker.

The foam is starting to deteriorate but is still spongy. My first inclination is to leave it be, but refoaming while it's already apart should be no big deal.

It also occurs to me that there's room for a mid-enclosure and one of those nifty 18Sound 4ND410s in the box with room to spare, but that might be a phase two if I don't like it plain.

I'm gonna be driving this gem with a Shuttle 6.0, but I'm not planning on needing to be real loud without additional reinforcement.

Thanks again for any help.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I didn't read all that. But the baffle is set up poorly (cutout position is crappy) and it's really a poor quality enclosure. Underported for a high-force woofer like the 3015 or 3015LF too. You'd have to put a fair amount into it just to arrive at mediocre results as a 15/6 substitute. It would ultimately be a dissapointment. I'd just drop a cheap driver into it and sell it.

3. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    As long as you've got the 3015 coming anyway, give it a try. I'd put a moderately inexpensive driver in it and keep it for a rehearsal cab or something like that.

KO

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I love rehab projects! Kudos to you! There's a lot of acoustic real estate between a typical 1x15+T in a small box and the Fearful designs. Maybe it wont be the balls-to-the-wall bottomless pit that Greenboy designed... so yours will be somewhere in the middle. Good for you.

UPdate us with your progress!

5. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I disagree.
    I think you should learn what all needs to be done, and do that to this.
    Instead of just throwing a "cheap speaker and flip it", why not use this as an learning experience?
    Sure, it won't be as good as a fEarful 15/6, but so what.
    You could always use this as a fixer project, so that, when you DO build your fEarful 15/6, you'll have that much more experience under your belt.
    All in all, what i mean is, instead of using this INSTEAD of a fEarful 15/6, take this on as a separate project, but one which could give you valuable experience.
    Do you get what i'm saying?

Thanks.

6. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Methinks you bought a big $25 cajon. Hope you have a fun learning experience.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I agree with Greenboy on this. You'll expend a lot of time, money and effort on this with almost guaranteed poor results at the end. So you have a learning experience but what do you then do with the result.

Bottom line you simply cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear!

Paul

8. claudel

Thanks for both the encouragement and the discouragement...

I've cleaned it up and after staring at it for awhile I'm gonna try a couple of things. I'll post some pics as I go.

I'm not worried about wasting time or money on this.

At worst I'll have a nice new speaker to put in something else and a $50-$70 pile of firewood and screws.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Thats the spirit!
    I mean NO offense meant to ANY of the other posters here, who have far more experience than me in this, but what is wrong with doing a fun project?
    So it doesnt sound as good, or isnt as efficient as an fEarful 15/6... thats not the point.
    Its meant to be a fun project. :cool:
    I say stick with it!
    And more pictures. :D

10. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA

Fun is overrated. It has been replaced with desire for efficiency and productivity.Go worker bee, go.

j/k,

have fun man. I had a 118 that I made from a 410, it was fun and sounded good enough for practice.

11. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Yes Big Brother. :D
    And i'm guessing that you got a lesson out of that project?

12. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Looks like a fun project. My first cabinet was a very small box with a crappy 15" which I replaced with a EV Force 15. It turned out pretty nice, and great for small jam sessions with my GK MB150s (head only, no speaker).

Your box looks like it might benefit from some bracing, especially on the back.

13. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah. Older bass cbainets (which I have owned back when that is all there were) are disappointing at best. Back "in the days", all they did was put a speaker in a box and sell it.

Good luck

14. You'll probably get some port noise/turbulence from that small of a port.

But go for it, and have fun!

15. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    so mod the port. add more. alter the size. brace it. stuff it. redo the baffle.

16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    You think the modern manufacturers don't just build boxes and stuff speakers in them? They just have better speakers now. BOB

17. claudel

That's pretty much the plan...

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

All very well and good, but YOU have nothing invested in this! It's not your time, money or effort that's being expended here! Isn't the whole point of this forum to direct the less knowledgeable to the right path? If the effort that the OP is expending will never reach a palatable conclusion should we not try to tell him so?

Paul

19. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    That box is also about the perfect volume for the Carvin NE-15 Neo driver. I just put one in an Avatar B115 cab. Check out my thread on it, you may want to try one of those instead. 111.00 shipped to your door for those.

20. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Don't be a spoil sport. Let the guy have some fun. It's only money, and knowledge is gained by experimenting.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021