1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEARful/fEARless - Guidance Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drumandbass75, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Good day Gentlemen,

I'm EXTREMELY interested in getting a fEARless/fEARful cab, or two, but I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information on the web. Having said that, I decided to communicate directly with my needs in hopes that you guys can help me to narrow down some things in my quest for the right cab(s).

Thank you all in advance

Here goes;

I'll list what gear I currently have, and what I'm trying to achieve in replacing these cabinets. Hopefully that'll be a good starting point for the discussion. I'm seeing lots of talk about 4ohm, 8ohm, & 2ohm, so I've also included my amps, and links to their specs in my gear list.

(1) SWR Goliath II 4x10
    (1) Peavey TVX 2x10
    (1) Eden WT-800 Amplifier = WT800 | EDEN Amplification
    (1) Ashdown Little Giant 1000 = Little Giant 1000

My intent is to have a cab that's LOUDER/BETTER than my current 4x10, or most 4x10 cabs, but with a smaller footprint. I use the 2x10 for smaller gigs, and some rehearsals (depending on location). With that said, the "possible" 2nd fEARless/fEARful cab would be for those occasions where a 4x10 and a 15 inch sub would've been paired together. I've never owned an 8x10 rig, but also wouldn't mind having a combo of cabinets that would rival an 8x10. I've owned (2) SWR Goliath II 4x10 cabs before, and I liked the option of stacking them if needed. Right now, I'm either using the 2x10, or the 4x10...NOT both together.

THINGS TO KNOW:
    • My main gig is Reggae, specifically the sounds of Roots Reggae/Dub Reggae in the tradition of the 70s-80s. Think WARM, Low B, Flatwound, and WIDE sound.
    • I occasionally do some soulful R&B, Motownish gigs in between as well, but Reggae is what I do 95% of the time.
    • The cabinets will be for Electric Bass & Acoustic Electric Bass as well
    • I'm a backup singer (sometimes), and I see that there's some folks on the web mentioning using their cab for vocals while not sacrificing anything on the low end. It's not a must, and I wouldn't mind having that option, BUT it's definitely not a priority.
    • I've never heard a fEARless/fEARful cab in person, don't know anyone who has one, and don't live on the Cont US, or Europe where I can meet up with someone to try one out, or hear it for myself....Bummer eh?
    I hope I didn't leave out any important details in my post, if I did, I'll be quick to respond if someone has a particular question about something that I didn't cover.

Again, thank you all in advance for your guidance in assisting me to narrow down my search.

Honorable mention to the guy somewhere on TalkBass with a fEARless/fEARful cab, and a custom Dingwall painted in Red/Gold/Green. If someone knows who I'm referring to, perhaps you can ask him to chime in because I remember reading a post from him, and he also plays Reggae.

With Gratitude

HolmeBass and Admiral Akbar like this.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Paging @BurningSkies .

singlemalt, HolmeBass and Chef like this.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Who me? I dunno what you're talking about.

...currently on spring tour with my fEearful 15/6+15sub setup. I've been using it for nearly a decade with high power amps without fail in hundreds of rooms east of the Mississippi. This round it's being shared by another bassist in the opening band plus is doing duty for bass-Moog for the co-bill and the tour is a funk-reggae-soul theme.

Ready for noise at PST in New Haven CT last Wednesday:
    31297544_1905470816153092_3684633507838524020_n.
    Surrounded with Mesas.

And here on the alter at the Stone Church in Brattleboro VT. on Sunday night:
    31699090_1909598495740324_6156051220348796928_n.

The fF and Fearless series have the potential of being louder and 'wider' than most traditional production cabs. My setup is well louder than a 810 and remains cleaner and clearer well beyond what an 810 can do. The advent of the high wattage class D power amp means that these cabs can really shine with their abilities. I do use a HPF at 35hz, because mine is capable of extended lows due to extended port shelf. This setup is also enough to carry most rooms up to about 400cap, possibly more, and I've used it as such outdoors as well, but I'm using amps in excess of 3kW.

Plenty of guys are using amps that are in the 800-1500w range quite successfully, and I'd suggest that even with these, your amp will run out of headroom before a double fF stack will.

This week the Moog player commented that he's never played his Moog as low or loud as he has with my rig. I'd post up some videos, but I think that that is probably counterproductive as you can't differentiate FOH from amp setup. But yeah, there's no problem with getting what you'd want in terms of lows.

The rastaburst doesn't tour with me anymore, but it's with me in spirit.

FingerDub, s_wood, 31HZ and 5 others like this.
  4. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks for chiming in BurningSkies, nice pictures, and great information in your posts. Having read my post, and given the situation with my 4x10 & my 2x10, do you have anything else to offer to the discussion as far as what I should consider as far as a combination of cabs, or just one that'll do the job as a replacement for a 4x10? I basically would like to be able to have something smaller/better than a 4x10 that I can turn up, or down if it's a smaller gig. Having a separate sub would also be very high up on the priority list after receiving the 1st cab. You mentioned Class D amplifiers, and I've been watching the Mesa Boogie Subway D-800, but had no real need for it. Any information about amp/cab combo for these cabs that I should consider with my current amps?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would think that a fearless/fF 2x12 stack would do the job. They're surprisingly capable cabinets. You could use one for smaller or mid-sized gigs and then use both when you needed full firepower. I know a bunch of guys both here on TB and locally who have found the 12" Greenboy cabs more than capable of most stage needs. That would give you the option of a 2x12 or two 1x12 cabs.

jallenbass and Jim Carr like this.
  6. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks again BurningSkies, I appreciate your input. Hopefully some other folks can chime in with their thoughts/opinions/recommendations in this discussion as well.

All the best!

7. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you Sir!

Passinwind likes this.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have several fEARful cabinets. The ones getting the most use are a 1212/6/1, a 12/6/1 cube, and a 15/6/1. As much as I love the 12/6/1, it stays in the rehearsal space because it is harder to move that the tilt-back wheel equipped 1212/6/1. Yes, when I am playing Reggae, the 1212/6/1 usually is enough. In fact, a 15/6/1 is enough 90% of the time. Don't use the 15 sub much now, but that may change soon.

fEARfuls can be used in any combination, as long as you are not running just a sub, and the nominal impedance matches your amp. A 15/6/1 can be combined with a mirror image 15/1/6, a 15 sub, 12 sub, 12/6/1 cube, or even 15/15/6/1 or 1212/6/1, though the last two would be a 2.67 ohm load. Have not used a 1515/66/1.

The 210 / 410 pairing is flexible, especially if you have a 4 ohm 410, an 8 ohm 210 with identical drivers, and a 2.67 ohm capable amp or a two channel power amp—but I digress.

To replace the 210 / 410 cabs, consider starting with a 15/6/1. It has the 410 covered. Then add a 12/6/1 cube. That cab will stack perfectly with aligned mid and HF drivers on a 15/6/1. A 15/1/6 would also work. To me, the 15/6/1, 12/6/1, and even the 1212/6/1 all sound essentially the same. The 15 sub (or 12 sub) won't work well stand alone.

A well-made fEARful is not heavy, but you will likely want a cart or hand truck. fEARfuls like a lot of clean power. A 15/6/1 + 15/1/6 (mirror baffle layout) could handle a Mesa carbine m9 to clipping, and likewise a GK MB800, and a Mesa Subway. I switched to a Crest Prolite 3.0. Bridged, it is enough for the 15/6/1 + 15/1/6 pair or 15/6/1 + 15 sub. Warning: you CAN fart out a 15/6/1 with a bridged Crest Prolite 3.0 and a hot pre-amp.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Stumbo, BigBasserino and Jborg like this.
  9. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I have recently built 2 15/6/1's (that could double as FOH) that I'm using with a Mark Bass MoMark 500 and an Aguilar DB751 , and people who hear this combo, say they've never heard anything as good.
    The pic is when they were close to done.

Attached Files:

10. I think a rig like BurningSkies would be ideal , a 15/6 with a 15 sub . Like Jim Carr said , the 15/6 would cover the 410 duties and even go lower . The 15/6 is kind of tall but still easier to handle than the SWR and as a bonus about 30 pounds lighter . Add a 15 sub for when you want to compete with the front of house sound system . You could run the WT800 bridged into the 8 ohm 15/6 for most gigs and run it with one side into the 15/6 and the other into the 15 sub . I had a stack like BurningSkies and it was the most killer sound I've had . I ran my pair bridged with a Crown XLS1500 but most of the time the 15/6 was all I needed . S7300469.JPG

Quantized Harmonic and MrLenny1 like this.
  11. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    That's a lot of options to think about, but I do like having the options that can be had with those combos, especially with the 15 sub. I do see lots of love for the 15/6/1, but I also see lots of love for the f112 or f115 as well for smaller/medium sized gigs...paired with a 15 sub, I imagine this would be sufficient as well, but I'm still navigating through all the info, and everyone's opinions, or experiences.

Absolutely, BurningSkies' setup was the first rig that really caught my attention some months ago when I started to consider the fEARful/fEARless cabs. It didn't hurt that he was also playing reggae, and understands the need for that low end in that style of music.

That looks like a killer setup, and I think it appeals to me for the simplicity, and the ability to rival a traditional 8x10, or scale it down with 1 cab for smaller/medium sized gigs where the 15 sub wouldn't be necessary.

12. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If you do go for two 15/6/1 cabs, build one with the mirror image of the other's baffle. That way, when they are stacked (as they should be), the 6" mid drivers and 1" tweeters will line up in 2 short vertical arrays (2 members each), which provides better dispersion, less beaming, etc.

In effect, you invert the second cabinet on top or the first. Check @hs123 's post with pic, above.

One advantage to the 15/6/1 + 15/1/6 is that if one goes down, you still have a viable rig. Not so if you are left with only the 15sub due to a failure of some kind. Not likely, but everything does break eventually.

Passinwind likes this.
  13. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Unlike fEARful, you cannot build a DIY Fearless. You have to order it from an authorized builder. Fearless cabs are somewhat lighter than fEARful cabs. IMHO, fEARful and Fearless sound essentially the same, depending on how your fEARful is equipped. There are Tweeter and crossover options with fEARful. The true-3-way fEARful crossover sounds more like what comes with Fearless. You can't go wrong with either family of cabinets. fEARful is cheaper.

If you find a used fEARful that was built by a Greenboy authorized builder, grab it. All but one of my fEARfuls were used. Zero issues.

Check this: fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys
    and this: fEARful DIY Speaker Kits for Bass Guitar

14. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the 15/1/6. I thought it was a mistake, but I saw that you wrote it more than once. I'm guessing it's how it's positioned from what you described to me. Is the picture that you sent what you're referring to as far as positioning the stack?

I won't be building anything personally, but I do have a few Master carpenters that handle the jobs, or I can buy from an Authorized Builder, and have them shipped to Florida to my freight forwarder.

Please educate me on the 15/6/1 + 15/1/6. I think I get what you mean, but I await your confirmation.

Thanks again.

15. I'll just throw this out there: I play through a Dually that's driven by an Ashdown CTM300. Very old school tones that aren't as "hi-fi" as what you would get with a 15/6/1. I dig it. I recently picked up a Bassic 15 from a fellow TB'r which totally covers my smaller gigging needs as well. Since the guy that started this thread is doing roots/dub reggae, he might consider getting a dually or dually T built. I think it would be more than enough to cover bass duties, though a 15/6/1 and 15 Sub will cover more sonic territory and go lower.

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I'm probably the only one who uses the 15/1/6 designation. It is just to show that the position of the 6" mid-driver and 1" tweeter are reversed, i.e. in a mirror baffle as in the image below, where the top cabinet is inverted, but has a mirror baffle 15/1/6 + 15/6/1, resulting in driver alignment. Saying mirror baffle is probably enough.

Where are you located?

15-6-1-db751-.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  17. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Ahh, Ok...that's what I was thinking. Thanks for clearing that up, I'm located somewhere in the beautiful Sunny Caribbean.

Attached Files:

mbelue, DrummerwStrings and Jim Carr like this.
  18. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Hey BlushResponse, thanks for chiming in as well. This is what I need, more suggestions for my decision making process as I go through the process of elimination. I can see myself getting several different cabs for the versatility of it all.

BlushResponse likes this.
  19. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    Yessir, I've been checking out the CBG crossovers, and all the options available. Thanks again.

20. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Just do it

IMG_20180329_195745.